Oceania Experts - Celebrity Claims In New Brochure

ABoatNerd

Can you demonstrate that with real and live cruise pricing now? I'd be interested in an objective comparison using existing ships.

I'm not going to do your homework for you, especially since I did it last week for another guy who was only considering cabin costs in comparing some mass market line to Oceania.

Here below is the text of my post to him/her showing that the net costs for EVERYTHING was about the same for his family of four (in essence, his $3000 mass market cruise would really be about $6000 when all costs were added. I.e., about the same a the O Inclusive pricing):

If you want value (the most bang for your buck), compare the net daily rate of Oceania to higher end mass market lines: Yes, the O cabin price may be higher but, if you include all the other costs you'll incur on a mass market line vs O's higher cabin price with few if any extra charges, you may be surprised.

For example:

I just randomly selected a 10 night Miami-Miami Caribbean cruise in April 2018 on Oceania.

If I take the air credit, the cost per person for a double occupancy inside cabin is $1600 per person x 4= $6400 for TWO cabins. With the right TA, you could get at least a 5% "first time Oceania customer discount" at $320. Net is now $6080. This fare has "O Life" perks with one choice being $600 per cabin OBC. So, subtract another $1200 and net to you is now $4880. Subtract $25/day for each cabin for unlimited internet = $500. Net now $4380. Most top O TAs (or consortia to which they belong) will, at least, cover gratuities $16/person/day = $640. Net to you now $3740.

Assuming you need to pay extra on a mass market line for all but the most basic non-alcoholic beverages, I'm conservatively guessing another $10/person/day for that = $400, which is included on O. Net cost to you now $3340.

Back to the TA. A top seller of O cruises should be able to do a commission share of at least 5% of the commissionable fare. Conservatively, figure at least $250 in refundable OBC or a rebate.

You are now at $3090 total for a total of four people in two cabins and we haven't even considered the value of eating as often as you may choose (if time flexible) in specialty restaurants that would cost extra on RCI. Nor have we looked at the far better O quality of food, bedding, service, blah, blah, blah.

As for no slides for teens: that time could be spent prepping for those SATs by attending the onboard lecturers usually being done by retired college profs. (Don't think I've ever heard of college scholarships for "water sliding."

BTW, want that balcony? Add about $1700 per cabin or just get one balcony and one inside and save some money.

I did the math in my head so I apologize for any errors. Nonetheless, when you compare all associated costs/freebies, you'll find that Oceania is value laden.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Can you demonstrate that with real and live cruise pricing now? I'd be interested in an objective comparison using existing ships.

May I? Look at my signature.... cruise line of choice RCL for years doing my first two O cruises in 2018.

We chose Sirena over RCL (Empress of the Seas) in Sept. Empress also sails an 8 day Cuba itinerary (worse itinerary as it's in Havana only one day vs. 2 full days on Sirena, and also Empress goes to the 'destroyed' (commercialized) Labadee vs. great stirup Cay on Sirena)

Anyhow, here's the money:

Sirena Sept 16, 8 day sailing... when I booked I received free gratuity promo and O-Life, interior F cabin

• $1999 per person.
  • Airfare is included.
  • Gratuities included.
  • Specialty restaurants included.
  • Internet included.
  • We chose limited drink package for our free OLife benefit, so add $20 per day per person for full premium drink package.

Total cost Oceania = $2,160

Empress Sept 15, 8 day sailing interior cabin

• today cruise only $955 per person.
  • Right now least expensive non-redeye airfare $533 from my gateway
  • gratuities $15 per day = $120.
  • Let's say 4 of 8 nights in specialty restaurants at $25 per (usually more than this on RCL) = $100
  • Least expensive internet on Royal for one device only (more $ for multiple devices) = $10 per day
  • Drink package $55 per day + 18% gratuity = $520.

Total cost Royal Caribbean = $2,308....

I only say this because you're a fellow Buckeye fan:

Dig deep in doing the math and you'll find the bottom line net cost of Oceania on the right cruise with the right itinerary is in the same ballpark as Celebrity- yet, it's a far better product!

OSU PhD '73

I get full suites (with lots of perks) on Celebrity or Princess for about the same price or less as a verandah room on Oceania. Some people would rather spend less and cruise more often while others would rather have a higher quality less often. O is definitely good quality but still unaffordable to some.

BTW, thanks for giving me a pass since we're fellow Buckeyes! ;)

OSU, Bachelor of Science in Nursing, 1990

May I? Look at my signature.... cruise line of choice RCL for years doing my first two O cruises in 2018.

We chose Sirena over RCL (Empress of the Seas) in Sept. Empress also sails an 8 day Cuba itinerary (worse itinerary as it's in Havana only one day vs. 2 full days on Sirena, and also Empress goes to the 'destroyed' (commercialized) Labadee vs. great stirup Cay on Sirena)

Anyhow, here's the money:

Sirena Sept 16, 8 day sailing... when I booked I received free gratuity promo and O-Life, interior F cabin

• $1999 per person.
  • Airfare is included.
  • Gratuities included.
  • Specialty restaurants included.
  • Internet included.
  • We chose limited drink package for our free OLife benefit, so add $20 per day per person for full premium drink package.

Total cost Oceania = $2,160

Empress Sept 15, 8 day sailing interior cabin

• today cruise only $955 per person.
  • Right now least expensive non-redeye airfare $533 from my gateway
  • gratuities $15 per day = $120.
  • Let's say 4 of 8 nights in specialty restaurants at $25 per (usually more than this on RCL) = $100
  • Least expensive internet on Royal for one device only (more $ for multiple devices) = $10 per day
  • Drink package $55 per day + 18% gratuity = $520.

Total cost Royal Caribbean = $2,308....

The moderators should make this a "stickey."

I almost fell over the first time a TA showed me the math years ago.

On the flip side, I've done a similar Oceania comparison with its "luxury" sibling Regent. Adding to the Oceania fare the included Regent costs that are options on Oceania will usually find the O price to be significantly less.

For those of us who want an across-the-board quality experience and who have worked hard for our financial stability/flexibility, there just is no cruise value that comes close to Oceania.

And, yes, if you want a bare bones experience with zero perks/air/etc, O has that too with the recently introduced "cruise only" pricing.

I get full suites (with lots of perks) on Celebrity or Princess for about the same price or less as a verandah room on Oceania. Some people would rather spend less and cruise more often while others would rather have a higher quality less often. O is definitely good quality but still unaffordable to some.

BTW, thanks for giving me a pass since we're fellow Buckeyes! ;)

OSU, Bachelor of Science in Nursing, 1990

Check the comparison hoopster95 just posted. If you do the math for suites, you'll still get the same kind of comparative figures.

For the record, the best itineraries for low price Oceania are the shorter Caribbean cruises. Doesn't help us since the only way we'll do Caribbean any more is crewed yacht charters.

For those of you "calculating and comparing":

2 items of "un-fairness" first,most of TA's give you Gratuity or OBC on Celebrity also,and you are ASSUMING they don't....I just recently booked a Caribbean cruise for my cousin on Celebrity and TA gave her $500 OBC...Second the "limited drink package" on Oceania is way below the package you get on Celebrity.......Just to be fair!!

Agree with rest of "calculations"

One other note when calculating, don't forget O includes port taxes and fees in their advertzed rates while most other cruise lines including RCCL add them on in the final computation.

There is something not good with Oceania with that scenario. Oceania because they don’t separately shoe port charges don’t refund these charges for missed ports while most others do refund those charges as they are separately shown.

There is something not good with Oceania with that scenario. Oceania because they don’t separately shoe port charges don’t refund these charges for missed ports while most others do refund those charges as they are separately shown.

That's true. I remember being on a norovirus cruise in Mar 2016 and Aruba would not let us dock and we didn't get the port fees refunded. I think we missed out on a $20 or so refund.

Even if the port fee is not a separate invoice line item O still could refund it for a missed port.

We've sometimes had some other compensation depending on the circumstances (i.e. unscheduled deck party with drinks, or such). To me an occasional port fee refund is not a big deal.

I far prefer all in pricing than advertised $999 cruise but has additional $445 in taxes and fees. Making those numbers up of course but I have seen some for example, two cruises on different lines and hugely different and not insignificant "taxes and fees' on trips of similar lengths

Not sure what this has to do with Celebrity's advertisements. Also, doing price comparisons makes little sense in terms of the topic.

Oceania is a higher level cruise line which is likely going to cost more money than Celebrity (Just as Celebrity is priced higher than Royal Caribbean - different categories - different inclusions - different pricing). IF Oceania and Celebrity were in the same class, it would make sense to compare prices.

Port charges could be an interesting topic for another thread.

Even if the port fee is not a separate invoice line item O still could refund it for a missed port.

We've sometimes had some other compensation depending on the circumstances (i.e. unscheduled deck party with drinks, or such). To me an occasional port fee refund is not a big deal.

I far prefer all in pricing than advertised $999 cruise but has additional $445 in taxes and fees. Making those numbers up of course but I have seen some for example, two cruises on different lines and hugely different and not insignificant "taxes and fees' on trips of similar lengths

They could, they should, but, they WON'T!!

It is a bigger deal than one thinks. If nothing else, it is labor intensive. If Oceania uses more labor, they pass on their costs to the passengers.

I believe the basis for this goes back several years when fuel was a separate line item (as were port charges). The change in fuel costs were fluctuating wildly and many cruise lines were faced (and forced by the government) with refunding money on one hand and increasing the price of the cruise to to rising fuel costs on the other. This was a subject that made the news in Florida. Afterwards several cruise lines began including fuel charges in the cruise fare. At that point Oceania removed port charges and taxes as a separate line item.

Again, this may be a good topic for another thread.

It is a bigger deal than one thinks. If nothing else, it is labor intensive. If Oceania uses more labor, they pass on their costs to the passengers.

<SNIP>

Again, this may be a good topic for another thread.

I agree, this has become way OT.

But to respond, the amount of labour to run a query on the port charges on cruise X at port Y is trivial. They have a department that specializes in arithmetic. The amount of labour to program a $20 credit to all shipboard accounts is not a lot more work. The time and labour spent discussing missed ports and not refunded port charges at Reception I'll venture cost more. Somehow by being a single amount as an invoice line item it costs other cruise lines less to issue a credit??

In actuality, the refund of Port Fees came up around 5 years ago when cruise lines were sued because port fees and taxes were not being refunded.when ports were missed. There was then an agreement in Florida between the state of Florida and all of the cruise lines based in Florida that any and all port fees, taxes, etc. identified as such could only be paid to a Government entity, not retained and thus had to be refunded to the customers.

At that point Oceania, Regent and possibly others who had signed that agreement removed the separately shown port fees and taxes and probably added them into the basic cruise price and was able to not refund those costs and keep them. Here is a link to some information prior to the actual settlement: http://articles.latimes.com/1997-02-09/travel/tr-26887_1_cruise-lines.

Used to be able to find the actual settlement on line but, no longer.

In actuality, the refund of Port Fees came up around 5 years ago when cruise lines were sued because port fees and taxes were not being refunded.when ports were missed. There was then an agreement in Florida between the state of Florida and all of the cruise lines based in Florida that any and all port fees, taxes, etc. identified as such could only be paid to a Government entity, not retained and thus had to be refunded to the customers.

At that point Oceania, Regent and possibly others who had signed that agreement removed the separately shown port fees and taxes and probably added them into the basic cruise price and was able to not refund those costs and keep them. Here is a link to some information prior to the actual settlement: http://articles.latimes.com/1997-02-09/travel/tr-26887_1_cruise-lines.

Used to be able to find the actual settlement on line but, no longer.

Guess we are staying off topic - what a shame! What I was referring to occurred in 2008. Choose your article lawsuit over cruise lines charging for fuel

Wrong. We had to cancel a cruise last year after final payment at 100% penalty. TA called O and I sent same MD note as we used for insurance reimbursement. O refunded port taxes/fees (as did airline). Insurance covered all other non-refundable expenses.

For those of you "calculating and comparing":

2 items of "un-fairness" first,most of TA's give you Gratuity or OBC on Celebrity also,and you are ASSUMING they don't....I just recently booked a Caribbean cruise for my cousin on Celebrity and TA gave her $500 OBC...Second the "limited drink package" on Oceania is way below the package you get on Celebrity.......Just to be fair!!

Agree with rest of "calculations"

For $20/day, you can upgrade the basic booze that is one optional "o Life" freebie choice. It covers all booze and includes the 18% gratuity.

My calcs didn't include the value of eat in all O specialty restaurants (as often as flexible time permits) at no extra cost. And, even at a few hundred more for O over X, the quality is just so much better.

The idea of comparing prices is totally random and can be made to skew towards either side depending on ports and demand. I just did a comparison for a Scandinavia and Baltic cruise with O versus Crystal. Since I am on O and was considering booking. They were both same price with equalizing for air and O choice for the beverage. Price per person around $500. Guess what -- no booking and likely will book on Crystal.

So just to add the X factor priced a similar cruise with X. Having a sale are they, including free grats and free internet. So this one came to $310 per day for an Aqua class stateroom. I would get 10% OBC or rebate with either cruise -- so the only delta is the drinks and any specialties I would desire. Would never sale X anyway so it is moot.

The idea of comparing prices is totally random and can be made to skew towards either side depending on ports and demand. I just did a comparison for a Scandinavia and Baltic cruise with O versus Crystal. Since I am on O and was considering booking. They were both same price with equalizing for air and O choice for the beverage. Price per person around $500. Guess what -- no booking and likely will book on Crystal.

So just to add the X factor priced a similar cruise with X. Having a sale are they, including free grats and free internet. So this one came to $310 per day for an Aqua class stateroom. I would get 10% OBC or rebate with either cruise -- so the only delta is the drinks and any specialties I would desire. Would never sale X anyway so it is moot.

Paul, you have me curious. Do you mind sharing the cruise number for the Crystal cruise you're referring to? That sounds like a pretty good Crystal deal for northern Europe.

Paul, you have me curious. Do you mind sharing the cruise number for the Crystal cruise you're referring to? That sounds like a pretty good Crystal deal for northern Europe.

B2 Veranda on Serenity 21 June 2019 and July 7 2019 B2B -- total 26 days. Don't forget to factor the 5% B2B discount. Comparing this to a 24 day Marina A2 cabin July 11 2019 less the $1000 air credit.

Both are 2019 cruises and do not have the typical discounts that are usually added if cruise is not selling well.

I must admit while being an O fan I find there advance prices now being very high. Just switched from an O Amazon cruise in November 2018 to a Crystal Amazon one for same reason (leaving two days apart) --High price where a "luxury" lines prices are less or equal than a premium line.

B2 Veranda on Serenity 21 June 2019 and July 7 2019 B2B -- total 26 days. Don't forget to factor the 5% B2B discount. Comparing this to a 24 day Marina A2 cabin July 11 2019 less the $1000 air credit.

Both are 2019 cruises and do not have the typical discounts that are usually added if cruise is not selling well.

I must admit while being an O fan I find there advance prices now being very high. Just switched from an O Amazon cruise in November 2018 to a Crystal Amazon one for same reason (leaving two days apart) --High price where a "luxury" lines prices are less or equal than a premium line.

All that may be true but for us it is hard to give up all the Plat benefits that we have earned on Oceania.

We are on a Crystal cruise (first for us) in Feb and have no free internet, no Plat or TA OBC, no PPG, no spa credit, no O Life, no free specialties, no air credit, etc, etc :)

They add up to a lot of money - especially when we get the full value of a second PPG or second OBC from TA or Oceania in addition to Plat OBC.

All that may be true but for us it is hard to give up all the Plat benefits that we have earned on Oceania.

We are on a Crystal cruise (first for us) in Feb and have no free internet, no Plat or TA OBC, no PPG, no spa credit, no O Life, no free specialties, no air credit, etc, etc :)

They add up to a lot of money - especially when we get the full value of a second PPG or second OBC from TA or Oceania in addition to Plat OBC.

My comparisons included same O club numbers. First Crystal NOW includes free internet, on 2 devices per person. Grats are always included. My TA gives OBC on Crystal (not as much as O but close to 7%). No O life (you are paying for this) but free drinks. Not heavy drinkers but a Henricks Martini or G&T x 2 persons plus a glass of wine at dinner per day is considerable on a 26 day cruise.

I will be waiting till summer (12 months out) to make my booking as likely O will not sell out nor will Crystal. The good thing we have choices.