I'm so confused...where am I docking?

mitsugirly

Leaving out of PR for a cruise and was researching hotels and just came across something that said Royal Caribbean has a different port? Then read another post that said they "sometimes" dock at a Pan American?

How can I tell where we are going to be docked for embarkation? I have looked on RC's site and my booking, but it doesn't show anything (or I'm missing it).

I really want to get my hotel booked, but now I can't until I figure this out. :confused:

Leaving out of PR for a cruise and was researching hotels and just came across something that said Royal Caribbean has a different port? Then read another post that said they "sometimes" dock at a Pan American?

How can I tell where we are going to be docked for embarkation? I have looked on RC's site and my booking, but it doesn't show anything (or I'm missing it).

I really want to get my hotel booked, but now I can't until I figure this out. :confused:

Check out marinetraffic.com. It looks like Adventure of the Seas is currently docked at the Pan American pier.

From what I understand, sailings that homeport in San Juan leave out of the Pan American pier, while port calls come in to the cruise ship ports closer to Old San Juan.

I can’t help you but I am surprised you are going on Royal.

Hope you got a great price. What ship, when are you going?

Looking forward to another fantastic review.

Why do you say that you are surprised I'm going on Royal? I'm confused.

We got an awesome price. We will be on the Jewel.

Check out marinetraffic.com. It looks like Adventure of the Seas is currently docked at the Pan American pier.

From what I understand, sailings that homeport in San Juan leave out of the Pan American pier, while port calls come in to the cruise ship ports closer to Old San Juan.

Are you saying you understand this to be for the RC ships? Or in general? Because we have came in for the day and ported at OSJ and we have also left (and returned of course) out of OSJ and all times we have always docked at OSJ port.

RC ships that start their voyage from PR are ported at the Pan American pier. The ships that are just a stop on a cruise (any cruise line, including RC) port at OSJ. In other words, the cruise you will be going on will embark at the Pan American pier.

Are you saying you understand this to be for the RC ships? Or in general? Because we have came in for the day and ported at OSJ and we have also left (and returned of course) out of OSJ and all times we have always docked at OSJ port.

RCI ships, including Celebrity. Of course, check the marine traffic site to be sure. It should show where each ship is and where it is scheduled to be.

Thank you to everyone for your help. I appreciate it.

RCI ships, including Celebrity. Of course, check the marine traffic site to be sure. It should show where each ship is and where it is scheduled to be.

I tried checking the cruiseTT schedule and the cruise timetables and they weren't helpful at all. It just says San Juan port but not which. When you say check the marine traffic site, are you talking about the map thing that shows the movement of all the ships out there? That won't help me now. I'm trying to figure out where to book a hotel (and what's open at this point after Maria) and what area I should book in based on the location of where our ship will port. The marine traffic shows it in real time unless I should just assume that where they may be right now (on a Sunday) is the same place they'll always be docking.

**edit...I looked at marine traffic and RC is docked at Pan American today.

We've only sailed out of San Juan on Carnival, but I think I can help with your question. I'm 99.9% certain that Royal Caribbean uses the Pan American Pier for cruises originating in San Juan (embarkation/debarkation). When RCI ships are in San Juan on port stops, then they can use the Old San Juan piers.

On our last cruise out of San Juan (Sept. 2015), I got this picture as we flew in. You can see both the Old San Juan piers and the Pan American piers, which I've labeled. In the picture you can see a ship, RCI's Adventure of the Seas, docked at the Pan Am pier (embarkation day, for 8PM sail away that same evening). Adventure of the Seas sails out of San Juan regularly for Saturday - Saturday sailings. We actually saw Adventure sailing out that night from our hotel in Isla Verde.

There were no ships at the Old San Juan pier that day, so it was empty. We flew in a day early, so we didn't board until the following day.

enhance

It’s a very smooth process at the airport. If you get your bags and walk to the far end of the airport (it’s not far) there will be a guy to get you the taxi and he will give you the paper with the price plus $1 per bag. It’s about 15 minutes to the airport.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Oh this is awesome. That's not too bad I guess. I assume this is per taxi and not per person right?

When we did it in September for Adventure, for my wife and I it was $21 from SJU to the Sheraton OSJ...the table in the link says $19 plus $1 per bag so that adds up.

Staying in OSJ and taxiing over to the PA pier is no problem at all. We found we preferred staying the night there and being able to walk the town the night before and morning of.

Edited by Husky1987
ETA: I guess the $1 per bag is what the link says....teaches me to read before commenting LOL But yes, it should be per taxi

Oh this is awesome. That's not too bad I guess. I assume this is per taxi and not per person right?

Yes ... if I remember correctly it is for up to 5 people. Additional people are something like $2-3/person.

When we did it in September for Adventure, for my wife and I it was $21 from SJU to the Sheraton OSJ...the table in the link says $19 plus $1 per bag so that adds up.

Staying in OSJ and taxiing over to the PA pier is no problem at all. We found we preferred staying the night there and being able to walk the town the night before and morning of.

Exactly why I was wanting to stay there. Last time we were there, we got to explore some amazing areas of OSJ and would like to continue to explore. Such an interesting place.

Yes ... if I remember correctly it is for up to 5 people. Additional people are something like $2-3/person.

I have been informed that the base rate was for 3 people and each additional person was $1. There is also a fee of $1 per piece of luggage.

It’s a very smooth process at the airport. If you get your bags and walk to the far end of the airport (it’s not far) there will be a guy to get you the taxi and he will give you the paper with the price plus $1 per bag. It’s about 15 minutes to the airport.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Exactly this. It was a very easy and smooth process.

Exactly why I was wanting to stay there. Last time we were there, we got to explore some amazing areas of OSJ and would like to continue to explore. Such an interesting place.

We had a late flight out of SJU after our cruise so we used that day to explore OSJ. We absolutely loved it! We walked around for hours exploring before our flight home.