Best Way to get to LA Cruise Terminal from Las Vegas

CeeCee59

We will be spending a week in Vegas before heading on a cruise out of San Pedro. We will have three nights to spend prior to embarking. Looking for suggestions on the best way to get to LA - where to stay, what to do. We don't really want to drive - the thought of LA traffic is not at all appealing. Would you suggest staying in Long Beach? What would be the best way to get to the cruise terminal? This would be in April of 2019 - leaving Vegas on a Saturday for a cruise that leaves on a Tuesday if that makes any difference. Thanks for all suggestions/input.

Best means different things to different people.

If you don't want to drive then you can just fly to Los Angeles.

Now is decision time as the area is large and you really need to think through what you would like to do and see.

Just wondering would Disneyland be of interest to you? If so, one option and we did this earlier this year was to spend three nights at Disneyland. We had a vehicle take us from the Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) to Disneyland where we stayed on site but there are many hotels within walking distance and then on the day of the cruise we had a vehicle take us from Disneyland to the pier in San Pedro. In our case we used execucar which is a subsidiary of super shuttle and their web site is http://www.execucar.com

Certainly there are lots of other options depending on what your interest is including Santa Monica and Beverly Hills or even El Segundo. As much as I like Long Beach I would not stay three days there.

Keith

We will be spending a week in Vegas before heading on a cruise out of San Pedro. We will have three nights to spend prior to embarking. Looking for suggestions on the best way to get to LA - where to stay, what to do. We don't really want to drive - the thought of LA traffic is not at all appealing. Would you suggest staying in Long Beach? What would be the best way to get to the cruise terminal? This would be in April of 2019 - leaving Vegas on a Saturday for a cruise that leaves on a Tuesday if that makes any difference. Thanks for all suggestions/input.

I get that LA traffic bothers you...we don't like it either. But the tough concept here is the spread out area of LA, plus getting you from Vegas. The ports are really near any other tourist place you want to go, and public transit is not really your best friend. I would rent a car.

When in April? Need to check dates of the Long Beach Grand Prix.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just realized that I said April 2019 - in fact it would be leaving Vegas on April 21st 2018 for a cruise starting April 24th. (Haven't booked the cruise yet - just a three day up to Vancouver.) Would it be best to fly in to LAX or to Long Beach? Looking for somewhere to stay that is safe and close to some touristy areas. We've done Disneyland and as a couple in our 60's that doesn't really appeal anymore. Just a thought - would going to San Diego for a few days then to San Pedro the night before the cruise be worthwhile?

Edited by CeeCee59
Added more detail.

I looked up the LB Grand Prix for this coming April: April 13-15. If you're not here that weekend, that will help you as many of the hotels in LB and the surrounding area will be booked, and getting around will be a headache too as streets will be blocked off.

If you stay in LB, and you're on Princess, you'll need to get to the Port of LA in San Pedro for your cruise (if you take a taxi, Uber, shuttle from your hotel, make sure your driver knows this; else, you'll be taken to the Port of Long Beach, which Carnival uses.

Definitely pad in another day between arriving here after LV and your cruise as it's a 6-hr trip at the very least. (unless you fly).

I live near the San Pedro terminal. I wouldn’t recommend staying in Long Beach. If you have 3 days before your cruise I recommend touring Malibu/ Santa Monica/ etc. we recently rediscovered the area after a staycation this past summer and it really is beautiful. Especially beaches like El Matador, with all the coves, it’s our favorite. Yelp the best spots to tour like the Old Getty and best beaches. Paradise Cove is a must and we love having lunch at The Farm in Malibu pier. It felt like the riviera. Rent a convertible, enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am not a big fan of LB. I would fly SWA into Burbank, it's a much easier airport to get around than LAX. Where to stay is really dependent on what you want to do. If you haven't done Disney than catch ground transport from BUR to Disney and stay there. Really no reason to go anyplace else for the short time your are there.

You could also stay at or near Universal Studios and hang out there. City Walk has no entrance fees and from there you could find easy tours around Hollywood, La Brea tar pits, and Griffith Park.