Can you remove prepaid tips?

Jasonmom

I have been on many cruises (probably 18-19) and have tipped at or above the recommended rate on each trip except one. I had a room attendant that was sub par. Went to guest relations every day starting on day 2 but had problems every day. I ended lowering the steward's tips by half.

My question is; If I go ahead and prepay so I don't have to worry about it onboard, can I still lower tips? How would that work?

I don't believe it is a normal capability to remove prepaid tips like it is to discontinue automatic tips. When I've read about people removing prepaid tips, there was usually some sort of big deal being made at Guest Services before they allowed the removal.

[emoji897][emoji897][emoji897][emoji897][emoji897][emoji897][emoji897][emoji897][emoji897][emoji897][emoji897][emoji897][emoji897][emoji897][emoji897][emoji897][emoji897][emoji897][emoji897][emoji897]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Actually you can request to pay tips on your own. But this is done by people most likely that don't want to tip. As of Jan 2 RCCL is raising the standard amount by 1 $ per day per person. These employees don't get paid a lot and work hard it's not a vacation for them. We have had great service and some not so good service. A friendly chat at beginning seems to improve what level we get. Also daily chats if we see them. We have never had service that made us not want to tip. No stress no high expectations just enjoy your vacation. Treat all with the respect you would want. 2cents. Cheers.

I'm sorry, I do not agree with your second sentence. I have never pre-paid my tips, nor have I ever removed them. I just don't feel I should tie up my funds until I have to. I'm sure that I am not the only one that feels this way. I allow the cruise line to add to my daily account. Easy peasy!

To prepay or not prepay, that is the question.

No one wants to give a no-interest loan to a billion dollar company but it helps with budgeting before the cruise and/or not having a larger bill to settle at the end of a cruise if there isn't sufficient OBC to cover it.

Just preference.

Carnival Paradise - August 2015 - 5 nights

Carnival Splendor - August 2016 - 6 nights

Carnival Magic - August 2017 - 8 nights

Royal Caribbean Harmony of the Seas - August 2018 - 7 nights (booked)

Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas - August 2019 - 9 nights (booked)

Actually you can request to pay tips on your own. But this is done by people most likely that don't want to tip. As of Jan 2 RCCL is raising the standard amount by 1 $ per day per person. These employees don't get paid a lot and work hard it's not a vacation for them. We have had great service and some not so good service. A friendly chat at beginning seems to improve what level we get. Also daily chats if we see them. We have never had service that made us not want to tip. No stress no high expectations just enjoy your vacation. Treat all with the respect you would want. 2cents. Cheers.

Second sentence. How do you know?

She knows that she can remove auto tips, but that's not the question. The question is whether that works when you have already pre-paid them in advance of getting on the ship.

I have been on many cruises (probably 18-19) and have tipped at or above the recommended rate on each trip except one. I had a room attendant that was sub par. Went to guest relations every day starting on day 2 but had problems every day. I ended lowering the steward's tips by half.

My question is; If I go ahead and prepay so I don't have to worry about it onboard, can I still lower tips? How would that work?

Just an idea for the next time: Ask to speak to the Head of Housekeeping. :)

I'd just like to comment that someone who has been on 18-19 cruises, knows who to contact, be it guest services or the Head of Housekeeping, regarding a problem they are having. The OP is asking a technical question regarding how gratuity charges are posted to the account, and if they can be reversed or lowered.

I for one don't know the answer for sure.

Maybe we can have someone doing a semi live cruise review go to guest services and ask.

Carnival Paradise - August 2015 - 5 nights

Carnival Splendor - August 2016 - 6 nights

Carnival Magic - August 2017 - 8 nights

Royal Caribbean Harmony of the Seas - August 2018 - 7 nights (booked)

Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas - August 2019 - 9 nights (booked)

I'm sorry, I do not agree with your second sentence. I have never pre-paid my tips, nor have I ever removed them. I just don't feel I should tie up my funds until I have to. I'm sure that I am not the only one that feels this way. I allow the cruise line to add to my daily account. Easy peasy!

That's fine. It's good people do what makes them feel comfortable.

I like to have everything done and paid for before we cruise. Holding out for a few pennies interest is not a big concern.

It's great we live in free countries that allow us to make our own choices. Cheers.

I am 97.32% positive that PREPAID gratuities cannot be removed.

I agree. But how do you get 97.32%.

I don't believe it is a normal capability to remove prepaid tips like it is to discontinue automatic tips. When I've read about people removing prepaid tips, there was usually some sort of big deal being made at Guest Services before they allowed the removal.

Bob I read what you wrote 3 times and I cannot make out what you said to know if there is a shift in your position from your previous postings.

I agree. But how do you get 97.32%.

Bob I read what you wrote 3 times and I cannot make out what you said to know if there is a shift in your position from your previous postings.

You cannot easily remove prepaid tips, it is not within the normal options that Guest Services will allow.

However, I have read about people removing prepaid tips, and it involved making a big stink at Guest Services and getting upper management involved.

You cannot easily remove prepaid tips, it is not within the normal options that Guest Services will allow.

However, I have read about people removing prepaid tips, and it involved making a big stink at Guest Services and getting upper management involved.

I think you maybe right. Stopping gratuities which are added to your onboard account is fairly easy as there is no cash exchange. However with pre-paid it involves a refund which is probably not possible on ship. Imagine if the TA had paid, nice few pennies in the pocket.

You are paying him $3.50 a day, and you want to know how to reduce that? :rolleyes:

So, specifically, what problems did you have with your stateroom attendant that would cause you to cancel your pre-paid tip?

So, specifically, what problems did you have with your stateroom attendant that would cause you to cancel your pre-paid tip?

Did you actually read what was written? He reduced his tips and is asking a rhetorical question for the future cruises

My attedant did not even step into my room 4 out of the 5 days. It is especially sad because it was the first (and so far only) cruise I've gotten my husband to go on. There was 4 of us in interior room, so we really needed it to be cleaned. Luckily I had brought Clorox wipes and my husband figured out how to open and close bunks.

Sent from my SM-J327R4 using Forums mobile app

You are paying him $3.50 a day, and you want to know how to reduce that? :rolleyes:

3,50 per person with four people in the cabin like in this case is 14 USD per day for a bad service. I understand that this is not acceptable and another reason not to prepay tips. Wait until you have received the service.

My attedant did not even step into my room 4 out of the 5 days. It is especially sad because it was the first (and so far only) cruise I've gotten my husband to go on. There was 4 of us in interior room, so we really needed it to be cleaned. Luckily I had brought Clorox wipes and my husband figured out how to open and close bunks.

Sent from my SM-J327R4 using Forums mobile app

Yikes. You did not even receive fresh towels or anything? That does sound unusual. Our stateroom was made up 2 times daily - fresh towels, clean bathroom etc.

Seems like a big disconnect for which no tip should have applied if they never entered the room. I would have complained to management.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums