1st Trip to Alaska July 13th,2018 ????

Luv2Cruiise

Happy New Years Eve to everyone!!

So we are booked on Royal for July 13th to Alaska from Seattle, we have never been to Alaska or Canada. We are going to the following ports Alaska Inside Passage, Juneau, Skagway, Tracy Arm Fjords & Glacier, Victoria British Columbia. We have a Virtual Balcony booked as well.

What type of weather can we expect in 2nd week of July, What type of clothing do we need to pack? Is it warm enough to swim in Pools,Jacuzzi? We are use to sailing the Caribbean so this will be a 1st for us. We have heard so many great things about Alaska cruises that we wanted to do it at least once.

What things can we do while in Alaska, Canada?

I know these questions have been asked before and I am still reading the boards but wanted to ask anyway. Thanks

Edited by Luv2Cruiise
typo

In your reading you will find the weather in Alaska is quite variable. It can change several times in a day. You can get the factual data by Google searching weather for your ports..try "Juneau July weather" for example.

You should do what interests you, after reading what your ship offers, and the various threads here on the board.

Luv2Cruise -

Did you check the times that you are in each port? A lot of times people don't check how long they are in each port. Especially with sailing out of Seattle, the port times are not usually great. Also, the majority of the time the large cruise ships do not get all the way up Tracy Fjord to get to the glacier. Victoria is just a stop they must make as they need to stop in a foreign port due to some law. The time in Victoria when cruising out of Seattle is usually only the evening hours so if you are planning on really enjoying the Gardens or other sights in Victoria, please check your time schedule.

Since this is your first Alaska cruise, perhaps you should consider a round trip Vancouver or a one way trip so it will include either Hubbard Glacier or Glacier Bay National Park. I just hope you are not disappointed by not going to either of the two large glaciers.

I could not tell which ship you are on being you just said "Royal". If you are on Royal Caribbean's Explorer of the Seas your time in Victoria is good being 9 to 6 pm but you still do not go to either of the large glaciers.

Check over your itinerary real well. Some people just think "Oh, Wow" I am going to Alaska but do not really examine their itinerary.

Whatever....Any day on a cruise is better than a Work day.

Weather can vary daily, so layers waterproof jacket and shoes are important.

While many here are critical of the R/T itineraries due to fewer ports and times in port, don't let that discourage you. You will still have a great trip and the scenery is amazing even if you never leave the ship.[emoji3]

Do research to find what interests you in each of the ports. There is something of interest to most everyone at each port. Spend time on the decks while cruising to enjoy the scenery and have the best opportunity to see wildlife.

In Skagway, we enjoyed the bus / train combo trip to Emerald Lake with Chilkoot Tours.

If offered on your way North to Juneau, book the small boat excursion to Tracy Arm. It has a much betters chance of getting into the fjord and all the way to the glaciers. If not offered in Juneau, check and see if it is offered on the Tracy Arm day.

Mendenhall Glacier and Whale Watching are good options for Juneau, if the Tracy Arm small boat isn't offered there. The tram is nice when the weather is clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are hundreds of touring options so do your homework and determine what your interests are. First look over your shore excursion list and greatly narrow down your selections.

With a Tracy Arm itinerary, I'll suggest it is "necessary" to book the add on Tracy Arm tour. Grossly superior compared to the cruise ship transit.

There are numerous packing lists you need a wide range, with layers.

Luv2Cruise -

Did you check the times that you are in each port? A lot of times people don't check how long they are in each port. Especially with sailing out of Seattle, the port times are not usually great. Also, the majority of the time the large cruise ships do not get all the way up Tracy Fjord to get to the glacier. Victoria is just a stop they must make as they need to stop in a foreign port due to some law. The time in Victoria when cruising out of Seattle is usually only the evening hours so if you are planning on really enjoying the Gardens or other sights in Victoria, please check your time schedule.

Since this is your first Alaska cruise, perhaps you should consider a round trip Vancouver or a one way trip so it will include either Hubbard Glacier or Glacier Bay National Park. I just hope you are not disappointed by not going to either of the two large glaciers.

I could not tell which ship you are on being you just said "Royal". If you are on Royal Caribbean's Explorer of the Seas your time in Victoria is good being 9 to 6 pm but you still do not go to either of the large glaciers.

Check over your itinerary real well. Some people just think "Oh, Wow" I am going to Alaska but do not really examine their itinerary.

Whatever....Any day on a cruise is better than a Work day.

Yes we will be on Explorer of the Seas, times in each port are below:

Juneau = 12 Noon - 9 Pm

Skagway = 7am - 8:30 Pm

Tracy Arm Fjords & Glacier = 7 Am - 12 Pm (Not sure if its Noon or Midnight)

Victoria = 9 Am - 6 Pm

From Budget Queen:

There are hundreds of touring options so do your homework and determine what your interests are. First look over your shore excursion list and greatly narrow down your selections.

With a Tracy Arm itinerary, I'll suggest it is "necessary" to book the add on Tracy Arm tour. Grossly superior compared to the cruise ship transit.

There are numerous packing lists you need a wide range, with layers.

------------------------------

Definitely try to see if your ship offers the add on Tracy Arm tour as Budget Queen mentioned above. Too many times the large cruise ships do not get up the fjord all the way to the glacier.

As many time as we have sailed Alaska we have learned that weather is very unpredictable changing year to year and even hour to hour.

It could we sunny, warm/hot (you could wear shorts) cloudy, windy, rain or a combination of this.

That is why it is key to layer clothing.

I also would fine tune packing by checking the weather forecast a few days before you leave for the trip.

Happy New Year.

Keith

Yes we will be on Explorer of the Seas, times in each port are below:

Juneau = 12 Noon - 9 Pm

Skagway = 7am - 8:30 Pm

Tracy Arm Fjords & Glacier = 7 Am - 12 Pm (Not sure if its Noon or Midnight)

Victoria = 9 Am - 6 Pm

This itinerary missing a 3rd port in Alaska such as Ketchikan but spends more time in Victoria (Canada). A trade off. Most other Seattle roundtrips include another day in Alaska but minimal time in Victoria. I personally would prefer to spend more time in Alaska as I am going on an Alaskan cruise. It is a weak itinerary for seeing Alaska but is good if you want to spend more time in Victoria.

I would definitely book the small boat trip to Tracy Arm. Plan a couple hundred more per person for this. I personally prefer going to one of the other glaciers (Hubbard or Glacier Bay with Glacier Bay being my choice as it is never missed) as Tracy Arm is often missed, even possibly in July.

Did you book this itinerary based on the ship only?

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

I visited Skagway and Juneau last September as follow:

Skagway: daytrip to the Yukon (Carcross and Emerald Lake) + visit old downtown Skagway

Juneau: Excursion onthe Mendenhall Glacier + visit of downtown

The Mendenhall Glacier and the Yukon were my favorites discoveries, sceneries were just gorgeous!

If you’re interested I wrote some articles to describe my Alaska Cruise.

For Mendenhall Glacier:daydreamunderthestars.com/2017/12/03/excursion-on-mendenhall-glacier-in-juneau/

For the Yukon: daydreamunderthestars.com/2017/11/20/the-yukon/

Let me know if you have any questions

Enjoy your trip!

Marie

This itinerary missing a 3rd port in Alaska such as Ketchikan but spends more time in Victoria (Canada). A trade off. Most other Seattle roundtrips include another day in Alaska but minimal time in Victoria. I personally would prefer to spend more time in Alaska as I am going on an Alaskan cruise. It is a weak itinerary for seeing Alaska but is good if you want to spend more time in Victoria.

I would definitely book the small boat trip to Tracy Arm. Plan a couple hundred more per person for this. I personally prefer going to one of the other glaciers (Hubbard or Glacier Bay with Glacier Bay being my choice as it is never missed) as Tracy Arm is often missed, even possibly in July.

Did you book this itinerary based on the ship only?

No we booked it while on another cruise, the ship didn't have anything to do with it. Alaska is a place we have always wanted to cruise and we got a great price so we booked it. We missed our Harmony cruise in Sept due to the hurricanes and we booked the Alaska cruise over a year ago.

No we booked it while on another cruise, the ship didn't have anything to do with it. Alaska is a place we have always wanted to cruise and we got a great price so we booked it. We missed our Harmony cruise in Sept due to the hurricanes and we booked the Alaska cruise over a year ago.

I hope it is inexpensive for you as it is probably the worst itinerary in Alaska. Did you do any research in Alaska before you booked?

This is why it is important to look at itinerary before one books. Booking simply by cruise line is a huge mistake.

I wouldn't call it the worst.

It completely misses Ketchikan, but unless OP was planning on shelling out big bucks at all the stops, it's not a big deal missing one regular port. I think her times are way better than what I have on the Norwegian Bliss.

For Juneau, as a first timer, do a combo whale watching + Mendenhall glacier tour. You can add in something else if time/budget allow.

For Skagway, get out of town. Train or bus tour? I like the city of Ketchikan way more than Skagway, which I feel can be explored in about an hour or less. Skagway is a good start to excursions out of town though.

Victoria, go into the park if you like nature or head into Vancouver for a day trip if you like city life. Eat in Vancouver at least one meal. Ask around, but I'm pretty comfortable saying you'll be able to find the best Chinese food you've ever had in the Western Hemisphere in Vancouver for example.

I hope it is inexpensive for you as it is probably the worst itinerary in Alaska. Did you do any research in Alaska before you booked?

This is why it is important to look at itinerary before one books. Booking simply by cruise line is a huge mistake.

Why do you say it is the worst itinerary? Which itinerary for Alaska do you think is better? We love Royal so booking with them is not a mistake. We plan on trying Celebrity,MSC and possibly Norwegian one day. Thanks

Why do you say it is the worst itinerary? Which itinerary for Alaska do you think is better? We love Royal so booking with them is not a mistake. We plan on trying Celebrity,MSC and possibly Norwegian one day. Thanks

Don’t let others thoughts of a bad itinerary discourage you. Any trip to Alaska is amazing, so you will enjoy it. Most people love it and go back again, some multiple times. Look at this cruise as a sample to whet your appetite and you will still have other ports / glaciers to explore on future cruises. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums