Allure, Oasis, or Anthem?

casone

My family is about to book a cruise to the Caribbean area for the end of May 2018. My husband and I have three teenage boys, ages 13, 15, and 16. We are trying to decide between Allure, Oasis, and Anthem. Anthem is the newest of the three so I assume it is better? We sailed with Celebrity last year but I hear RC is better for families with teenagers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My family is about to book a cruise to the Caribbean area for the end of May 2018. My husband and I have three teenage boys, ages 13, 15, and 16. We are trying to decide between Allure, Oasis, and Anthem. Anthem is the newest of the three so I assume it is better? We sailed with Celebrity last year but I hear RC is better for families with teenagers.

You cannot go wrong with any of the ships. However, if you have to fly to the cruise port, I'd choose to fly to Florida instead of New Jersey.

On the other hand, end of May is an interesting time. Most schools are finished in the south and south east. They are still in session in the north. If your teens want SOME company but you don't want a ship full of kids, choose the Anthem. If you all are happy with a huge percentage of the ship being children, go with Oasis or Allure.

On the other hand, end of May is an interesting time. Most schools are finished in the south and south east. They are still in session in the north. If your teens want SOME company but you don't want a ship full of kids, choose the Anthem. If you all are happy with a huge percentage of the ship being children, go with Oasis or Allure.

Great advice! We are from Louisiana. I heard Anthem is in a different class but I wasn’t sure if the differences really matter.

Just back from Christmas cruise on Oasis. It was our third time on Oasis. The ship is definitely showing some wear with age. I would suggest Anthem if the itineraries and price are similar. We have been on Oasis, Allure, and Harmony.

You cannot go wrong with any of the ships. However, if you have to fly to the cruise port, I'd choose to fly to Florida instead of New Jersey.

Thanks for the advice. Why would it be better to fly to Florida?

Great advice! We are from Louisiana. I heard Anthem is in a different class but I wasn’t sure if the differences really matter.

I have been on all three.

Oasis and Allure are the first two ships in the Oasis class.

Anthem is the second ship in the Quantum class.

They are totally different ships.

Thanks for the advice. Why would it be better to fly to Florida?

I would rather get to the warm weather immediately, than to fly to the northeast and waste two days of the cruise in the cooler part of the Atlantic..

Edited by Host Clarea
Typo

I would rather get to the warm weather immediately, than to fly to the northeast and waste two days of the cruise in the cooler part of the Atlantic..

I wouldn't want to waste two days in cold weather either. I've been on Oasis in the winter and Anthem in the summer. While the entertainment on the Anthem was excellent, the ship's layout is very confusing -- chopped up and difficult to navigate. I much prefer the Oasis class. Leaving on Friday on Harmony to escape the frigid temperatures here!

Edited by Host Clarea
Fixed typo in quote

I wouldn't want to waste two days in cold weather either. I've been on Oasis in the winter and Anthem in the summer. While the entertainment on the Anthem was excellent, the ship's layout is very confusing -- chopped up and difficult to navigate. I much prefer the Oasis class. Leaving on Friday on Harmony to escape the frigid temperatures here!

I forgot to mention that the cruise leaving from NJ (Anthem) is a 9 day. Any other cruise would be a 7 day cruise!

I forgot to mention that the cruise leaving from NJ (Anthem) is a 9 day. Any other cruise would be a 7 day cruise!

We have sailed all three of the ships you are considering and enjoyed all three. We have sailed Anthem 3 times and would go back again. Sailing from Bayonne gives you a view of the Statue of Liberty and New York City. We went up in Northstar after we went under the Verrazano Bridge and got a beautiful view of the area. Sailing in May, you will not give up two days to the cold as others are saying. It could be shorts weather or it could be cooler, you just never know. Even when sailing in the winter, a lot of the activities are at indoor venues, so you don't miss out on anything other than the outdoor pool. Anthem has an indoor family pool and the indoor adult Solarium, so plenty of swimming if you want.

There is plenty for teens to do on all three of those ships, so just look at prices and do what works best for you.

Is the total price for Anthem in the same ballpark as the total price for the other ships? Is one of the stops for Anthem Port Canaveral?

We've been on Allure and on also on Anthem many times. You're looking at the end of May sailing which would be the 5/31/18 and your cruise is going into June. The weather on the 2nd day would be June 1 and plenty warm enough to go swimming. My vote is for Anthem provided the pricing on all 3 ships are the same, they'll be plenty of things for your kids to do on Anthem to keep them occupied.

• Date
    • Port
    • Arrive
    • Depart

[*]

[*]

• Fri 01/06/18
    • At Sea

[*]

• Sat 02/06/18
    • Kings Wharf / Bermuda Islands
    • 08:00
    • 16:00

[*]

• Sun 03/06/18
    • At Sea

[*]

[*]

• Tue 05/06/18
    • San Juan / Puerto Rico
    • 07:00
    • 14:30

[*]

• Wed 06/06/18
    • Labadee / Haiti
    • 09:00
    • 17:00

[*]

• Thu 07/06/18
    • At Sea

[*]

• Fri 08/06/18
    • At Sea

[*]

Is the total price for Anthem in the same ballpark as the total price for the other ships? Is one of the stops for Anthem Port Canaveral?

Anthem is a little more expensive but same ballpark. I’ve read many reviews that say there are long lines on Anthem. I’m a little worried about that. We have sailed on Celebrity and the food was pretty good, but I have read many reviews that indicate the food on RC is not good. I probably shouldn’t read all of the bad reviews first! I don’t think Celebrity has enough for teenagers or we would stick with that line.

Anthem is a little more expensive but same ballpark. I’ve read many reviews that say there are long lines on Anthem. I’m a little worried about that. We have sailed on Celebrity and the food was pretty good, but I have read many reviews that indicate the food on RC is not good. I probably shouldn’t read all of the bad reviews first! I don’t think Celebrity has enough for teenagers or we would stick with that line.

When you are reading reviews for Anthem, understand that when Anthem was first introduced, it had something called Dynamic Dining that did not go over too well. The reviews complaining about long lines and food could have been from then. People just didn't like the concept and they discontinued it in November 2016 and introduced new menus and a more traditional style of dining, though there still are the four restaurants that are used for the main dining areas as they can't totally reconfigure the ship.

There are going to be some lines for things like bumper cars, but we never waited too long when we went on them. We waited in line for lunch on the first day, but that is pretty typical of every ship. You reserve your shows in advance, so there is no reason to be in a line, unless you have no reservation and are in a standby line.

Since the price is n the ballpark and the Anthem cruise is 2 days longer, I'd have to switch my preference to Anthem at this point.

Hi

I've done the Anthem and it has lots to do for kids. The pools are great and the bumper cars,roller skating, rip cord is fun but,,,,

I've been on the Allure and the Anthem.

If I was bringing my kids on a cruise at that age I would choose NCL Escape or the Getaway. I've been on both of those and loved them. I kept on saying that I wish the kids were here. LOL

lots of things to do for them. Also the outdoor area is pretty cool. Water slides, bowling alley, water slides and rope courses were great.

Partly your decision will depend on whether you want more sea days with onboard activities or not. Anthem sails from up North, so it needs more time to get to the islands. One reason for the 9 day itinerary. Good if you want to visit Bermuda and maybe spend some time in the NYC area. Big negative is Newark airport - compares to Atlanta in the 80s. Other airports are way too far and too expensive (including tolls) unless you get a super deal on flights.

Oasis is also a long way from the Orlando airport, so you need to factor that transportation in. Allure and the Fort Lauderdale airport are far and away easiest to get to and Miami is also close.

Hi

I've done the Anthem and it has lots to do for kids. The pools are great and the bumper cars,roller skating, rip cord is fun but,,,,

I've been on the Allure and the Anthem.

If I was bringing my kids on a cruise at that age I would choose NCL Escape or the Getaway. I've been on both of those and loved them. I kept on saying that I wish the kids were here. LOL

lots of things to do for them. Also the outdoor area is pretty cool. Water slides, bowling alley, water slides and rope courses were great.

Thanks for the NCL advice. I will check it out. Did you like Anthem better than Allure? I’m mostly concerned about the teenagers. Husband and I aren’t into the nightlife so it is all about keeping the teens entertained so we can just relax!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi we just booked our first RCCL cruise with Allure for Oct 21,2018. The cruises we have done in the past are All the Disney Ships and Carnival Sensation, Dream, Breeze, Valor, and Vista. I really wanted to give RCCL or NCL at try and like sticking with the newer ones. So with the latest sale we took the plunge. Anyone who has sailed Allure in past I have a couple questions.

Pool towels - are they up on pool deck available to grab or must we sign them in and out?

What are the free drinks? Hot cocoa?

Ice cream machine? Where do we find it?

Can you get bottled water before cruise delivered to room?

Does the tv swivel to face the beds? From the look it faces couch.

Must you have a room key in a slot by front door to keep lights on?

Fort Launderdale parking - how much and anything important to know - have only been to port Canaveral and Miami.

What time will they let us start checking in? I want to get on the ship asap. Do we need to abide by any set check in time per family?

Luggage tags? Do these get printed out from RCCL website?

Do I have to put credit card on file? I usually like doing cash pay - with carnival I gave my room some gift cards and then just gave guest services more cash as needed. I hate having a credit card on file.

Are any of our ports tendering?

Movies on board? Certain nights?

Comedy clubs - do they get super busy, how long before hand should we arrive?

Are the doors magnetic to put up decorations?

Can we use over the door hangers on bathroom doors?

Anything else I may want to know about RCCL or Allure?

Subscribing to read answers. We were on Allure and it's an amazing ship for all ages. Have yet to be on Anthem.

Allure has Boardwalk with aqua shows, a zipline, Rockwall, flowrider, great shows.

Anthem may have some of those too...then iFly, SeaPlex., Etc

What activities do you think your kids would prefer?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

We just did a 7 day on Oasis out of Canaveral and are booked on the May 31 Anthem sailing. My teens are 15 and 11. While they did not join us on Oasis they were more interested in the Anthem YouTube videos and we all liked the 9 day itinerary with 4 sea days. I was not able to do everything I wanted on Oasis in the 7 days and I almost felt pressure from not getting to do it all. I'm looking forward to a slightly smaller ship and the extra days to see it. The ports on the Anthem are the same as my Oasis cruise but adding Bermuda. I'm Floridian so we're actually excited about the idea of a cooler port and luckily there are direct flights to Newark from Sarasota. We're going up for Memorial Day weekend to see New York first. My boys just "took" to the Anthem more in our research.

I also considered one of the bigger NCL ships because we've cruised one of their smaller ships and liked the line, but the boys were bored with the Pearl.

I'm not going to lie, what tipped it in the end is that we sail in suites and I preferred the Star class to the Haven.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the NCL advice. I will check it out. Did you like Anthem better than Allure? I’m mostly concerned about the teenagers. Husband and I aren’t into the nightlife so it is all about keeping the teens entertained so we can just relax!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would like a 9 day way better than a 7 days. If I had to chose, I would do the Anthem. It has more grown up teen stuff to do.