Santorini - private tour or ship tour to Oia

BaseballMomof4

Fortunately for us we have a pretty long time in port. What is it about walking down that you did not want to do?

Consider that you are walking down a route also used by the donkeys :). Watch where you step!

Hank

Walking down 588 steps in Santorini... With 3 ships in port, there was over an hour wait so we elected to walk down...

here is a video

Bring water with you as it was quite warm, even in May.

Enjoy Santorini!

When we did santorini we didn’t pre-book anything (though we had a good idea of what we would do). As soon as you get off the ship there are private vendors selling transportation. They take you to the other dock via boat and then bus you to oia. They run a regular return bus schedule from oia to thira and at that point we took the cable car back down. It worked for us and we felt it was an easy and inexpensive way to see oia on our own.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
We took ship tour and I am very happy we did. We started from nice winery followed by Oia ,followed by Fira. Lots of free time . No way avoid crowds there, its one street after all :rolleyes: . Plus with ship tour you are on first tender out .

I second this approach. You'll be on an early tender with waiting in a long line to depart. Makes the day much easier and relaxing. :D

I second this approach. You'll be on an early tender with waiting in a long line to depart. Makes the day much easier and relaxing. :D

That was probably the biggest reason I booked this. I took my first Royal cruise in December and was unimpressed with how they handled the tender process - we lost about an hour of our tour for the day - so I figured if I book through them at least I will get off earlier than if I did not have a tour through them.

• 2 weeks later...

Those of you who used local vendors after tendering into Santorini, are you able to get a boat to Oia? How did that all work out?

And did you use a cab/local for transport FROM Oia? How about transport to local wineries? Thanks.

Those of you who used local vendors after tendering into Santorini, are you able to get a boat to Oia? How did that all work out?

And did you use a cab/local for transport FROM Oia? How about transport to local wineries? Thanks.

There is no single answer since the situation can vary depending on the time of year and how many ships are in the harbor. There is at least one local provider that operates off the same pier area where you arrive from the tenders. If they are operating there will be signs (and possibly touts). Their deal normally includes a boat from the tender pier area (below Fira) to Oia and a ticket for the bus from Oia back to Fira. But keep in mind those buses are first come first serve and do not run nearly often enough on a crowded day. The main taxi parking area is located in Fira (next door the bus station). On most of our visits there were few to no taxis hanging around Oia ...so we would say the availability of taxis at Oia is truly hit/miss.

As to wineries (and the entire island) you have a few choices. The island bus network does have bus routes that would take you near several wineries...but the bus frequency leaves much to be desired. You can usually find taxis at Fira (in the taxi parking area near the bus station) and you can negotiate a fare to one or more wineries. But taxis are not cheap. Another option is to simply rent a car for the day/ We actually like having a car since we can go where we please on our own schedule. Trying to do multiple places via the island buses can be frustrating because of the frequency of bus service.

Hank-

There is no single answer since the situation can vary depending on the time of year and how many ships are in the harbor. There is at least one local provider that operates off the same pier area where you arrive from the tenders. If they are operating there will be signs (and possibly touts). Their deal normally includes a boat from the tender pier area (below Fira) to Oia and a ticket for the bus from Oia back to Fira. But keep in mind those buses are first come first serve and do not run nearly often enough on a crowded day. The main taxi parking area is located in Fira (next door the bus station). On most of our visits there were few to no taxis hanging around Oia ...so we would say the availability of taxis at Oia is truly hit/miss.

As to wineries (and the entire island) you have a few choices. The island bus network does have bus routes that would take you near several wineries...but the bus frequency leaves much to be desired. You can usually find taxis at Fira (in the taxi parking area near the bus station) and you can negotiate a fare to one or more wineries. But taxis are not cheap. Another option is to simply rent a car for the day/ We actually like having a car since we can go where we please on our own schedule. Trying to do multiple places via the island buses can be frustrating because of the frequency of bus service.

Hank-

Thanks Hank! I like this idea of car rental. Safe to assume we head up to Fira and find the car rentals there?

Also, do they drive on the 'right" side of the road? haha

Thanks Hank! I like this idea of car rental. Safe to assume we head up to Fira and find the car rentals there?

Also, do they drive on the 'right" side of the road? haha

Yes, they do drive on the right side of the road (unless they have had too much to drink). There are quite a few local (and a few major) rental car dealers located in Fira...but its about a 10-15 min walk from the top of the cable car. You need to head towards the main road (Agiou Athanasiou) which you can spot if you bring up a map. I cannot keep track of all the small local agencies, but you can certainly do an online search and check-out prices and terms. Many of the rental cars will have a manual transmission...so if you need an automatic make sure you book that type of car and perhaps make it clear (in an e-mail) that you need an automatic. Manual shift cars are usually the best price....so if you can drive one you will save money. Its a great way to see the island and you will not have to spend half your day waiting the the slowest person on any tour bus :).

Hank

Another thing to remember is that being a tender port, the cruise line excursions get priority. If you’re going to be in port on crowded day taking a ships tour will get you off the ship early and on your way. I have read nightmare stories of pax wasting much time just awaiting their turn on the tender

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Walking down 588 steps in Santorini... With 3 ships in port, there was over an hour wait so we elected to walk down...

here is a video

Bring water with you as it was quite warm, even in May.

Enjoy Santorini!

This video is excellent! It helped me so much to understand the situation with the steps and the donkeys and the enormity of the steps. We will be there around October 24 and I think we may be the only ship in port.

Glad you enjoyed the video and found it helpful.

Here are some of my Greece youtubes, if interested, that may help in planning your day. My youtube channel has many Mediterranean ports also ... CHANNEL https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHiRFnslgYtHoKI4zEN8zbA

GREECE -Exploring Old CORFU TOWN MAY 2009-

GREECE - Exploring CRETE June 2012 -

GREECE - KEFALONIA, Ionian Islands -MAY 2016 -

GREECE - RHODES with drive to Lindos -2015 -

GREECE - SANTORINI, Greece 2015 --588 steps walk down -

GREECE - SANTORINI, Greece holiday - FIRA to OIA MAY 2016 -

GREECE - SANTORINI DAY TOUR -AKROTIRI - PERIVOLOS BEACH - MEGALOCHORI MAY 2016 -

GREECE - SANTORINI, Greece holiday -Exploring FIRA 2016 -

This video is excellent! It helped me so much to understand the situation with the steps and the donkeys and the enormity of the steps. We will be there around October 24 and I think we may be the only ship in port.

Take the local bus (1-2 euros) over to Oia -- very easy to do, and FAR cheaper. Spend as much (or as little) time as you like without worrying about keeping your eye on the clock.

I am pretty happy with my decision to use the ship's tour to go to Oia since I will get the priority tender and since tendering became an issue on our last cruise it's worth it to me to get off the ship in the first wave, especially since my cruise is sold out. We should be back in Fira from Oia by 11:00 am after which we plan to do a wine tasting and then tour Fira a bit and shop.

My only question at this point is a ballpark on how long it will take to walk down to the tender area and how long the tender takes. If we have to be back on the ship by 5 for a 6 pm departure, I want stay as long as I can in Fira but not be a runner to the last tender!

I am pretty happy with my decision to use the ship's tour to go to Oia since I will get the priority tender and since tendering became an issue on our last cruise it's worth it to me to get off the ship in the first wave, especially since my cruise is sold out. We should be back in Fira from Oia by 11:00 am after which we plan to do a wine tasting and then tour Fira a bit and shop.

My only question at this point is a ballpark on how long it will take to walk down to the tender area and how long the tender takes. If we have to be back on the ship by 5 for a 6 pm departure, I want stay as long as I can in Fira but not be a runner to the last tender!

May I ask where you’re doing the wine tasting?

you wont necessarily be on a priority tender because as previously noted ships tours and independents tender to different locations and run as 2 separate operations

so depending on when your ships tour is called to tender from ships theatre or wherever meeting point is there could be lots of people touring independently who get off ship before you and in Oia before you

however your question was how long it takes to walk down to tender area and general consensus seemsto be about 30 minutes avoiding donkey doo from earlier in day

actual tender back to ship takes about 10 mins but delay is how long it takes to get to front of line

as long as there are people in line even after last call for tender you will be safe as long as ship adheres to its "promise" to wait for ship excursions as everyone has to make their way back to same tender dock and at that point there is no way to differentiate between who is on ships excursion or independent

you wont necessarily be on a priority tender because as previously noted ships tours and independents tender to different locations and run as 2 separate operations

so depending on when your ships tour is called to tender from ships theatre or wherever meeting point is there could be lots of people touring independently who get off ship before you and in Oia before you

however your question was how long it takes to walk down to tender area and general consensus seemsto be about 30 minutes avoiding donkey doo from earlier in day

actual tender back to ship takes about 10 mins but delay is how long it takes to get to front of line

as long as there are people in line even after last call for tender you will be safe as long as ship adheres to its "promise" to wait for ship excursions as everyone has to make their way back to same tender dock and at that point there is no way to differentiate between who is on ships excursion or independent

We sailed on Royal this December and the tender process was a hot mess which is why I have chosen to use their ship's tour. Even though we may not get off the ship at the promised time, the ships tours got the first tenders and all others were given later numbers. This tour specifically states "priority tender" in the description so I am hopeful it will live up to its promise.

Yes, I know as long as there is a line for the tenders we are "safe", I just don't want to push my luck to much! 30 minutes at least gives me a reasonable time frame so I can gauge when we should begin our trip down the steps, thanks!