Onboard Seaside: Ship B+ to A- everything else C- to C+

The Admiral

All I can say is as soon as I board I'm making sure I am not in marketplace. I did not pony up for a suite to end up in the buffet for dinner. If it takes lining up daily I'll be waiting first in line when the maitre'd gets to his desk every single day.

If you are in a suite Yacht Club you have a private dinning room you will not have the buffet restaurant

Giving a half-assed buffet on deck 16 because the grand buffet on 8 can't be used for anything but overflow from MDR is a raw deal on BOTH ends. Cruisers who enjoy buffet dining are going to have a limited selection at the smaller buffet, and cruisers who prefer sit down dining room with service are being somewhat shorted as well, in this scenario.

I called MSC since I am booked Bella and requested an early dining time. I specifically said I have been reading online where Bella experience has to go to the buffet and that the buffet is turned into a de facto MDR, limiting both the buffet and MDR experience for all. I was told this is NOT going to be the case; I have a confirmed booking in early dining and the only moves they make are if early dining gets full they try to move people to late (not happening with a 3 year old kid).

For that matter, if dinner becomes a 2 hour "process" each night (also not happening with a 3 year old), I'd hop to a full scale buffet like I have had on Royal Caribbean or NCL. I am not bypassing a real buffet or decent service for pizza and burgers, nor am I going to pay MSC's ludicrous onboard specialty pricing.

I'm still not alarmed. Many new concept ships had significant dining issues when they came out; see also Quantum-class from RCI and -away-class from NCL. Maybe it's simply that putting more than 4000 people on a ship simply can not possibly live up to guest expectations of service from smaller ships. Oasis-class does the best of all the large ships moving people around. I think it only does a "fair" job at that though and other large ships do even worse.

I think I'm nearly at the tipping point where I prefer good service, reasonable sized crowds, and ships with "all class" access to 95%+ of the ship versus the latest whiz bang features. I do admit, Seaside has a lot of appealing features to me and the design looks interesting, but I'm not staying in a Suite either. On Divina except for no outdoor spot to view off the bow, I never felt second class next to YC.

Giving a half-assed buffet on deck 16 because the grand buffet on 8 can't be used for anything but overflow from MDR is a raw deal on BOTH ends..

This is a good point, Max! I'm sure many of us have had reasons to prefer a quick trip to the buffet over sitting in the MDR a time or two. Hopefully this is all just growing pains and they'll get things better organized quickly.

All I can say is as soon as I board I'm making sure I am not in marketplace. I did not pony up for a suite to end up in the buffet for dinner. If it takes lining up daily I'll be waiting first in line when the maitre'd gets to his desk every single day.

It is highly unlikely a suite guest will be assigned to marketplace. The MSc disclaimer is clear: “Should the main restaurant be full, BELLA Experience guests may be asked to be seated in the buffet area, where they will receive full restaurant service.”

I think this is terrible planning on MSc parts for all involved. Bella guests eating where wet suits sat during the day :( and more importantly what appears to be lack of a proper buffet for everyone in the evening!

I’ve seen plenty of MSC fumbles but this one ranks right up there with the period of time the web site had breaches in security.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been reading all the comments about the Seaside. As I read I am thinking that my standards must be pretty low. We spent Christmas 2016 on the Divina (our first MSC cruise) with the fantastica experience. We were assigned seating in one of the main dining rooms. The 4 other people assigned to our table were quite nice, one of the women spoke very little English but did try to speak to us. My husband and I have no problem talking among ourselves and we were not bothered by the language barrier. We enjoyed the food, one night we opted to eat in the sports bar having wings instead of the dining room. We were comfortable in our balcony cabin, felt we had enough room. We did have drink coupons but did not find it a hassle since I always had a pocket or bag for them.

Our second MSC cruise was on Meraviglia October 2017, on the Mediterranean. A celebration as I retired October 1. We were in the yacht club, balcony cabin again. We were treated like royalty, ate most nights in the dining room but did try the steak restaurant for a change, we chose to eat dinner one night in the English pub having fish and chips. We enjoyed the food and found we had lots of choices. Most morning we get room service as it takes me some time to get going in the mornings. I had pretty severe arthritis the last few days and I was provided with a wheelchair to use. We had the bracelets which were scanned at the bars outside of the yacht club but I did not feel it was an issue. I was more interested in the ports we were at since it was my first time to Europe.

We are booked on the Seaside march 10,2018 with fantastic experience for 2 weeks. There were no yacht club cabins available. I am looking forward to this cruise, I will eat in whatever dining room I am assigned to, we did prepay for a dinner pkg at 3 restaurants so that will be a change from the dining room. I am not a picky eater so I am sure I will find something to eat, as for the food being hot , as mentioned I just retired in October a registered nurse for 28 years, I am very much used to eating cold food and cold coffee, so I don't notice it anymore. We have been to all the ports already so will spend more time on the ship and my husband is planning to golf at one of the stops.

Yesterday we booked our 4th MSC cruise on the Meraviglia again, yacht club on the 10 night cruise from New York, October 8, 2019. I am very excited about this cruise and the Canadian ports, all ports I have not been to even though I am Canadian and live in Canada!

As I began by saying I think my standards must be pretty low, you will not hear negative comments from me about any of these .MSC cruises. After 28 years working Psychiatry I have learned to not sweat the small stuff. I am happy to be able to be able to take these cruises and will enjoy every day no matter what

Sorry for being long winded.

I have been reading all the comments about the Seaside. As I read I am thinking that my standards must be pretty low. We spent Christmas 2016 on the Divina (our first MSC cruise) with the fantastica experience. We were assigned seating in one of the main dining rooms. The 4 other people assigned to our table were quite nice, one of the women spoke very little English but did try to speak to us. My husband and I have no problem talking among ourselves and we were not bothered by the language barrier. We enjoyed the food, one night we opted to eat in the sports bar having wings instead of the dining room. We were comfortable in our balcony cabin, felt we had enough room. We did have drink coupons but did not find it a hassle since I always had a pocket or bag for them.

Our second MSC cruise was on Meraviglia October 2017, on the Mediterranean. A celebration as I retired October 1. We were in the yacht club, balcony cabin again. We were treated like royalty, ate most nights in the dining room but did try the steak restaurant for a change, we chose to eat dinner one night in the English pub having fish and chips. We enjoyed the food and found we had lots of choices. Most morning we get room service as it takes me some time to get going in the mornings. I had pretty severe arthritis the last few days and I was provided with a wheelchair to use. We had the bracelets which were scanned at the bars outside of the yacht club but I did not feel it was an issue. I was more interested in the ports we were at since it was my first time to Europe.

We are booked on the Seaside march 10,2018 with fantastic experience for 2 weeks. There were no yacht club cabins available. I am looking forward to this cruise, I will eat in whatever dining room I am assigned to, we did prepay for a dinner pkg at 3 restaurants so that will be a change from the dining room. I am not a picky eater so I am sure I will find something to eat, as for the food being hot , as mentioned I just retired in October a registered nurse for 28 years, I am very much used to eating cold food and cold coffee, so I don't notice it anymore. We have been to all the ports already so will spend more time on the ship and my husband is planning to golf at one of the stops.

Yesterday we booked our 4th MSC cruise on the Meraviglia again, yacht club on the 10 night cruise from New York, October 8, 2019. I am very excited about this cruise and the Canadian ports, all ports I have not been to even though I am Canadian and live in Canada!

As I began by saying I think my standards must be pretty low, you will not hear negative comments from me about any of these .MSC cruises. After 28 years working Psychiatry I have learned to not sweat the small stuff. I am happy to be able to be able to take these cruises and will enjoy every day no matter what ��

Well put Vea52 ...my sentiments too..Its a holiday and I am blessed to be on it :)

Major design flaw.... The Seaside is same size (length) as the Carnival Vista and holds 1100 more passengers!! Gross tonnage is 155,000 vs Vistas 133,000... All this tells me is the extra weight is dedicated to an additional floor or 2 for the increase passenger count. Having to use the buffet area as a annex dining room is a disgrace. And if its true they are seating Bella passengers in this area... MSC is heading back to the 3 class designation (used on the early trans-atlantic sailings) at least for dining!!

I noticed this during construction which is why I have been waiting for reviews to book.

I think Ill keep waiting

Only MSC charges the lowest fare for possible buffet only (Bella), slightly more for fixed dining (Fantastica), even more for anytime dining (Aurea). No other cruise line has a caste system with 3 different levels of basic MDR eating options. But then again their could be another European line that I am not familiar with that has the same system.

Think so. On AIDA, almost as popular as MSC in Europe but much more expensive, there is really "Buffet only", for all Menu Restaurants you have to pay.

And "possible buffet only" is so far nothing more than a fine print, nobody ever has experienced it, I guess it is only a security fineprint the MSC laywers have put in for some Seaside bookings if the chaos in the first months get too big :D Probably will happen never.

I agree with sidari, I prefer to deal with the well known MSC issues than it becomes another US Line.

And "possible buffet only" is so far nothing more than a fine print, nobody ever has experienced it, I guess it is only a security fineprint the MSC laywers have put in for some Seaside bookings if the chaos in the first months get too big :D Probably will happen never.

I agree with sidari, I prefer to deal with the well known MSC issues than it becomes another US Line.

No one has said “possible buffet only”, what we are saying is that MSc reserves the right to seat Bella passengers in the buffet restaurant area which is transformed into a mdr in the evening with regular mdr menus and tablecloths when overflow is needed.

This is not a “fine print only”

Issue- There are posters currently on seaside reporting that the buffet on deck 8 is being used as a mdr overflow restaurant right now and it most certainly has happened in the past!!!! In fact, it happened to a very loyal and active cruise critic member on another MSc ship.

I trust the reports which makes This policy far from “fine print only.” The real question here is not IF it’s going to happen but rather how often is this going to happen?

On other MSc ships it is not reported with any consistency . Time will tell the frequency on seaside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This statement is ridiculous! IT IS NOT BUFFET ONLY! It is the buffet restaurant TURNED INTO a dining room with table cloths and the same menu as the other two dining rooms! Drama much??? Geesh!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
You inferred incorrectly. I was talking about where the different experiences placed you for dinner. Bella is possibly placed in buffet only area, and the fantastica is main/late and aurea is anytime.

MSC is trying to break into the US market and establish itself and some of their marketing plans such as status match has helped them with bookings, but some of the hiccups that have been reported on the boards could be a long term detriment.

We sailed 12/23 and had a wonderful trip on MSC. I just can't understand all this undue negativity.

We have sailed 3 NCL, 1 Princess and 12-13 Disney and would rank this ship and cruise experience up there with the best of those ship experiences.

IMO..many are nitpicking here! The ship and crew were wonderful. We loved the food and enjoyed all the entertainment.

It is always interesting how you can be on the same ship and have a totally different reality of the same cruise.

To those looking to cancel based on some peoples negative opinions and outlook seems so crazy. The vast majority most likely enjoyed their experience. While on the ship we spoke to so many fellow cruisers that were loving their trip and MSC. The more picky and disgruntled tend to show up to post on these boards.

Last year we were planning a NCL cruise out of NYC, there were so many negative reviews and comments on CC that I was sad I had already paid in full so I could not cancel our trip. We ended up having such a terrific trip. Not one concern other wrote about on CC was a part of the reality we experienced on that cruise. I am so happy we didn't cancel based on some silly reviews.

MSC is trying really hard and we felt it on this cruise/ship. Gorgeous ship, kind crew and wonderful food and food options. In fact we all rank MSC at the top of cruise experiences.

We sailed 12/23 and had a wonderful trip on MSC. I just can't understand all this undue negativity.

We have sailed 3 NCL, 1 Princess and 12-13 Disney and would rank this ship and cruise experience up there with the best of those ship experiences.

IMO..many are nitpicking here! The ship and crew were wonderful. We loved the food and enjoyed all the entertainment.

It is always interesting how you can be on the same ship and have a totally different reality of the same cruise.

To those looking to cancel based on some peoples negative opinions and outlook seems so crazy. The vast majority most likely enjoyed their experience. While on the ship we spoke to so many fellow cruisers that were loving their trip and MSC. The more picky and disgruntled tend to show up to post on these boards.

Last year we were planning a NCL cruise out of NYC, there were so many negative reviews and comments on CC that I was sad I had already paid in full so I could not cancel our trip. We ended up having such a terrific trip. Not one concern other wrote about on CC was a part of the reality we experienced on that cruise. I am so happy we didn't cancel based on some silly reviews.

MSC is trying really hard and we felt it on this cruise/ship. Gorgeous ship, kind crew and wonderful food and food options. In fact we all rank MSC at the top of cruise experiences.

Thanks Sunny2Runner ...very happy to hear

This statement is ridiculous! IT IS NOT BUFFET ONLY! It is the buffet restaurant TURNED INTO a dining room with table cloths and the same menu as the other two dining rooms! Drama much??? Geesh!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I read their post as being pretty much factual. The only "drama" was in your post.

As I began by saying I think my standards must be pretty low, you will not hear negative comments from me about any of these .MSC cruises. After 28 years working Psychiatry I have learned to not sweat the small stuff. I am happy to be able to be able to take these cruises and will enjoy every day no matter what ��

@ VEA52, thank you! Iove this review! well said!:D

This is a perfect response. I have booked the Bella experience and I am perfectly fine with this. As you have said, your not expected to eat from the buffet, its the same menu as the dining room with wait staff in a dedicated area. Table clothes included. Really? what's the big deal here? :confused:

Possible suggestion!

Since some people are satisfied with eating the the Buffet Deck 8, why not make that a choice/option when you book your cruise.

1. Buffet Deck 8 Yes No

2. MDR

Then those who want to eat in the buffet would not be allocated a seat in the MDR and it would leave that space open for someone who wanted the MDR regardless if they were Bella or whatever class.

Apparently, even if you are not Bella you may be moved to the Buffet area. Depending on Space Available in the MDR.

That would save a lot of the BS going on with the Newest Ship in the Fleet.

Never read or experienced this much debate on any cruise line/ship/forum about an MDR or Buffet.

I remember when My Time/Any Time/Your Time dining first was implemented years ago. People on HAL forum were never going to cruise HAL again if HAL started that option. LOL

Vea52 well put. I work in a nursing home/rehab center and I so agree--don't sweat the small stuff, and live life to its fullest, you never know what tomorrow brings!

After 21 NCL cruises we tried the Divina in Sept and loved it. 7 days turned into 13 thanks to hurricane Irma. We realized that we could not compare our trips on NCL to MSC. They are two totally different lines with different ideas. After we stopped expecting things to be done as on NCL, we totally enjoyed ourselves. The formal dinners with the special dessert presentations were all fabulous as well as the food, parties, entertainment (although slightly repetitive) cleanliness and beauty of the ship. We have 2 sailings booked on the Seaside. We understand we will face "growing pains" but as long as we are fed, safe, and entertained we will be fine.

Safe sailing

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

As I said before my goal is to be fair and call it as I see it.

New feedback:

MSC Roy Yamaguchi Teppanyaki highly recommend for dinner or a nice lunch!

Best on sea or land Bar None!!!!! In terms of quantity, preparation, attention to detail and quality of the food it’s superb!

I wish they would do a frequent cruiser focus group and implement suggestions made by cruisers to enhance the guest experience as part of the new Ship design - if they did I have no doubt they could succeed and have a cruise line that’s stands tall on its own.

Did you go to the Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle and voice your concerns to ship management? If you're a Black Card, similar question?

Solution: book a cabin in the Yacht Club!

I'm really kicking myself for not switching to a YC inside when it became available a few weeks ago. I'm in a Fantastica Suite and managed to get the huge one at the front of deck 9 at the same time so I figured I'd be good, plus I was looking forward to using my 2 free meals in the specialty restaurants, which I've recently read they are trying to reduce to 1 (actually, have reduced, but it's not clear it's being enforced).

I guess I'll hope for the best.

You inferred incorrectly. I was talking about where the different experiences placed you for dinner. Bella is possibly placed in buffet only area, and the fantastica is main/late and aurea is anytime.

I think rather than saying "buffet only area" you should be clearer and say the "normal buffet area", since people are not eating from the buffet.

What they really should do is either a) move the overflow dinner seating to the deck 16 buffet and keep the deck 8 buffet as a full buffet for dinner, or b) only convert half of the deck 8 buffet to leave the other half as a full buffet for those who prefer that experience (plus those who may want to eat something at the buffet before or after their sit-down dinner).

MSC has really angered two sets of people with this policy. Not to mention that their literature says that they have an extensive buffet 20 hours a day and the deck 16 buffet only being available for dinner and later doesn't match what they've advertised.

FYI there is a YC open on the march 10th sailing as of last night , i am on that sailing and i like to look every once in a while and just the other day there were 4 available

I think rather than saying "buffet only area" you should be clearer and say the "normal buffet area", since people are not eating from the buffet.

What they really should do is either a) move the overflow dinner seating to the deck 16 buffet and keep the deck 8 buffet as a full buffet for dinner, or b) only convert half of the deck 8 buffet to leave the other half as a full buffet for those who prefer that experience (plus those who may want to eat something at the buffet before or after their sit-down dinner).

MSC has really angered two sets of people with this policy. Not to mention that their literature says that they have an extensive buffet 20 hours a day and the deck 16 buffet only being available for dinner and later doesn't match what they've advertised.

Yeah extensive dinner buffet it is not in my opinion! Alternative dinner buffet is mainly burgers pizza hot dogs dinner rolls and salad everyday then a few other dishes they change out like fajitas without the tortilla or overlooked ribs that you couldn’t eat.

Kids buffet is all frozen and dry type food from being over cooked: round chicken tenders, fish sticks and Mac n cheese.

Passengers speak a lot amongst themselves and the dinner and lunch buffet selections and buffet as main dining room has really ticked folks off.

Mister Bill ... We were given 2 meals for 2 people, whether that had anything to do with complaining to the Voyagers club rep when she told us 1 meal per cabin and letting her know that we had 5 previous cruises with MSC, I have no idea.

Tepanyaki was great as was the food in Butchers Cut.