Best transactlantic cruise for a family

notsure500

I'm taking a one week trip to England next year and I was thinking instead of flying back that I would take a cruise back. It would be late summer 2019. I have 2 kids that by then will be 8 and 10. So I'm thinking the shorter ones might be good (like 7-9 days instead of the 13+ days). And ships with lots of family friendly activities. My kids loved it when we went on a carnival cruise that had a few slides (and we're going on the vista with them this april). But I'm struggling to find what cruise line to take and best options for that.

Late in the summer (late July to early September) is the peak vacation season for the UK and Europe so the Queen Mary 2 will have lots of families with kids yours age and a full programme on for them. It is also the only option for eastbound crossings in the Summer as well as westbound if that would work out for you instead.

Some lines relocate their Southampton or Northern Europe based ships back to the USA as early as late August, some not until later in September. But few if any will be of the cruise line's flagship class of ship with all the bells and whistles; it is just too costly to repo them across the Atlantic twice a year. You will have to compare which ones may have what your kids are looking for. But a Northern Transatlantic (such as Southampton to New York) even in August will not have weather conducive to water slides or much of any outdoor activities. You have to take into account the ship being adequate having the entire complement of passengers confined to the inside public spaces; if you read the reviews of the RCI or NCL megaships the few times they have sailed TAs that was a big issue.

Edited by fishywood

having done a crossing on QM2

and having cruised with my kids many times

I'd not subject my young kids to QM2 ...... it might even be worse for a teen!

for one thing kids are somewhat expected to observe the dress rules .... well, if not stated, most families do and that's not ordinary for most US kids ... dressing for dinner ....

Nor did I see GREAT kids programs ....

You do see many kids on a QM crossing as many folks find it to cost less than flying & with no weight restrictions on luggage and with prior planning you can bring your dog (ressie WAY in advance) ... even if they restrict themselves to the 'formal dress not required' parts of the ship after 6 ..... we met several families 'relocating' back to the states on QM for just these reasons.

My 2 cents ....

Coming back in the summer or early fall limits your options. We agree with the others about the QM2 which is a pretty impressive ship. And the kids will likely enjoy the Planetarium. As to kids on the Queen, they do have a supervised childrens program. This ship does have a pretty strict dress code (only applies to the MDR and Ballroom) so, as has been posted, this might be an issue. On the other hand, its a good chance to expose children to something new and having them dress up can be a good thing :). If you prefer to ignore the dress code you can always eat in the buffet.

Hank

If you want a shorter crossing, QM2 is really your only option - 7 days straight shot across rather then the roughly two weeks on virtually every other line.

Additionally, most repositionings are late September to November - probably not falling in the "late summer" time slot OP mentioned.

We've crossed on her a couple of times - in late October - there were a few children- but I'm sure there would be more in late summer.

As far as "subjecting" children to the formal atmosphere --- it might not be a bad thing to see that life is not all tee shirts and jeans. Travel is supposed to be broadening.

Queen Mary 2 crossings between New York and Southampton are 7 days. Since the ship is designed for lots of consecutive sea days there are plenty of daytime activities to keep passengers occupied. While I don't have children myself I've noticed that the amount of children and teen activities will vary with how many young people are on board. Since you are sailing in late summer there should be a lot of activities to keep an 8 and 10 year old occupied.

Yes, the ship has a dress code after 6PM. Children however are not held to it although parents are encouraged to dress them as "smartly" as possible. The dress code applies to the main restaurant, theaters and cocktail lounges. Those who would rather stay casual can use the buffet, open decks, and a lounge on deck 7.

QM2 is quite a different experience compared to Carnival, especially on transatlantic crossings. Many regulars chose this ship because of its formal atmosphere and don't want anyone to mess with it. You might want to check out the Cunard board and post your questions there - you're more likely to find other parents who have made this sailing with their children. You'll then be in a better position to decide if you want this special experience or if it is not at all for you.