On Star right now.... (disembarkation day)

Pig1959

Just posted this in the Roll Call for the cruise that embarks today... we are pulling into San Pedro as I write this, and this probably applies to ANY ship these days.... Happy Cruising:

==============================

Hi... posting this at close to 0400 from ABOARD the Star Princess as we pull into San Pedro... can see the port lights on the TV screen on Channel 42. All in all, a nice Xmas/New Year's cruise. Great crew, decent food (it's been better on Princess -- NO escargots unless your ducks fall in a row and you give a lot of gifts to the crew away and some of those crew happen to be dining-room head waiters LOL...no, seriously. We've been Elite for awhile and really reconsidering traveling with Princess in the future...have noticed a "gradual" decrease in amenities/quality with a corresponding INCREASE in fees for those same amenities/quality over the years/cruises, but I digress....

The main reason I'm posting here is to let you folks know and be prepared to develop the "Princess Cough"... over half the ship has it. I started developing a sore throat in Maui about a week or so ago and MANY people have been to the Med Center to take care of it. That was one of the busiest venues on the ship. I personally think it's the half-ass "washing" of barware, but it could be that or folks sharing menus in the dining room, not washing their hands after using the bathroom -- you know, the typical stuff.

Just wanted to forewarn you folks to just be prepared any way you can so it doesn't catch you by surprise.

Other than that, enjoy the Star!!!! We'll be there shortly.

Cheers....

The main reason I'm posting here is to let you folks know and be prepared to develop the "Princess Cough"... over half the ship has it. I started developing a sore throat in Maui about a week or so ago and MANY people have been to the Med Center to take care of it. That was one of the busiest venues on the ship. I personally think it's the half-ass "washing" of barware, but it could be that or folks sharing menus in the dining room, not washing their hands after using the bathroom -- you know, the typical stuff.

Don't think it's the glasses from the bars.

Very likely the highlighted above.

I carry a bottle of hand cleaner and we "wash" our hands after we've placed our orders in the MDR. There's no way that those menus are clean, even if they wipe them with a sanitizer. The evening menus are leatherette and have nooks and crannies that can harbor germs. The breakfast menus are cardboard. How do you clean that??

Buffet can be a culprit, too. All those shared serving utensils.

And, of course, the bathroom non-washers. That probably spreads Noro rather than a cough.

This "Princess Cough" as you are calling it, is (according to my Kaiser nurse) a widespread "Virus" that takes 10-14 days to come and go in your body. She advised me to take "Musinex DM" and drink plenty of water. Nothing more to do but bring tissues you will need them!

We will be on the Star in two weeks. While I agree with the observation of “cutbacks” coupled with price increases, I see similar concerns on lots of other cruise line boards. Seems like it is industry wide.

Biggest spread of the "Princess Cough" is the Princess Theatre. Why do people with coughs go to the shows to share their germs.We have had to change our seats or leave if no available seats when the coughing behind us starts. We are soon cruising. My husband said he won't go to the shows this time.Not worth the illness. In September on a transatlantic I felt fortunate to remain healthy despite the sickness on board.. However, the day we flew home it began. I was so sick , couldn't leave the house for two weeks. And the cough lingered even after that time.

unnecessarily scary and ill informed post.

not everyone who coughs/sneezes is sick. i was on the same star cruise, i am not sick, no one in my party or dinner table got sick. i was coughing and sneezing because i am allergic to perfume and several people bathed in way too much scent. i had to move several times in the princess theater because people, not just ladies, had on too much scent and i couldn't breathe. that's not even counting the smokers or the plants i was exposed to on ship and in port which also trigger my allergies. allergies are not contagious.

also the a/c air is very drying, and the vent in the stateroom is directly above the bed, leaving to people being very dry in general and irritating nasal passages.

but sure, please do go on scaring future passengers with unscientific posts about "princess cough" that is so helpful and informative.

i was expecting this to be a post about how quickly and efficiently the disembarkation was today. my parents were in the early princess transfers, they were scheduled for 8:15 disembarkation, they called them down early, they were on the transfer bus by 8:20, and it left 15 minutes later. they were at the airport and through security by 9:30.

we had late independent arraignments 10:15 disembarkation. they called us around 10:05, and i was at the curb by 10:18. no more customs forms, the guy looked at my passport, comments on my hair color being different, and we were through. it only took so long becuase one of our luggage pieces was ina diffeerent part of the puggage pile and it was a bit much to wrangle ourselves. next time i will pay the porters to help, totally worth it.

the only snafu was the curb side was an absolute mess. mext time i will tell my ride to go into the parking lot and we will cross over to there to get picked up. the curb is worse than lax.

Edited by vampiress

This "Princess Cough" as you are calling it, is (according to my Kaiser nurse) a widespread "Virus" that takes 10-14 days to come and go in your body. She advised me to take "Musinex DM" and drink plenty of water. Nothing more to do but bring tissues you will need them!

Better to pack some. Mucinex DM was $6.00 for 2 tabs onboard at the store and closed when in port.

DH and I were on the Royal Princess for 25 days in October and November without any issues. Both our adult children - in two different parts of the state and who had not been on a cruise - came down with that virus and it took almost 4 weeks for it to run its course. DD was prescribed cough syrup with codeine because she couldn't sleep.

Just posted this in the Roll Call for the cruise that embarks today... we are pulling into San Pedro as I write this, and this probably applies to ANY ship these days.... Happy Cruising:

Hi... posting this at close to 0400 from ABOARD the Star Princess as we pull into San Pedro... can see the port lights on the TV screen on Channel 42. All in all, a nice Xmas/New Year's cruise. Great crew, decent food (it's been better on Princess -- NO escargots unless your ducks fall in a row and you give a lot of gifts to the crew away and some of those crew happen to be dining-room head waiters LOL...no, seriously. We've been Elite for awhile and really reconsidering traveling with Princess in the future...have noticed a "gradual" decrease in amenities/quality with a corresponding INCREASE in fees for those same amenities/quality over the years/cruises, but I digress....

Just wanted to forewarn you folks to just be prepared any way you can so it doesn't catch you by surprise.

Other than that, enjoy the Star!!!! We'll be there shortly.

Cheers....

Thanks for sharing this important info.

We were also on this cruise and the 3 day prior (18 days total) and didn’t get any cough or other sickness. Can’t say I even noticed other passengers coughing...

Agree with another poster that disembarkation was one of the smoothest I have experienced! Great cruise for us!