Anyone on BA in Winter Storm Grayson off Carolinas?

SailBreakaway

I would think that the majority of people sailing from New York this time of year are people who live within driving distance. There may be a few flying in to meet up with friends or family, but those who have to get on a plane anyway would rather fly to a southern port where they would enjoy nice weather much earlier in their cruise.

There were many Europeans and Canadians who flew to this crude not to mentioned a group of 150 tourists from Hong Kong.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Some woman phoned in a complaint to Fox in San Diego, saying the waves were 15 to 16 feet yesterday and she'd never seen anything like it. Geez! Fifteen feet is NORMAL ocean swell. When DH and I were on the Jewel during Hurricane Sandy the first night we had some 40 ft waves. Now that you can complain about.

We were in that jewel cruise. Now THAT was a ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The reason I don't do social media.

I remember when the Dawn took green water over the bow and blew out all the forward facing cabin windows. Now they were taking on water, but "miraculously" didn't sink either. :rolleyes:

Yes I was on the Dawn with 70 footers and I slept through the rocking like a baby....got a free cruise out of it which we used the next year and didn't even have to ask.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

My opinions/questions as a “minor” shareholder and past passenger of NCL:

1.)This storm was forecasted well ahead of time and accurately predicted….no excuses for not knowing the impact.

2.)Why subject the ship to such stress?

3.)Why subject the passengers to such stress?

4.)Why subject the crew to such stress?

5.)Why cause the damage to the ship that the Captain caused with this decision?

6.)The next cruise is delayed by a day anyway…With the forecast BA should have stayed near the Bahamas for one or two additional days and let this storm get further North then deal with the next cruise departure delay.

7.)Why damage NCL's reputation with such questionable decisions?

8.)Why invite such negative media attention?

9.)I have to believe this decision cost the company much more than if they delayed the return home or shortened the cruise to get in front of the storm.

10.) What about the impact on the GEM? I haven't seen much discussion on that....they left NYC at the height of the storm….seem’s to me that two captains couldn’t possibly make such reckless decisions.

I keep reading that people wanted more communication and it reminded me of one of my cruises in a storm. We were going through the Drake Passage in a 239 foot ship and we encountered a storm that the Captain said was the worst he has ever encountered on an Antarctic cruise. The waves were coming over the ship. We were confined to our cabins and they would give us announcements every 1/2 hour or so. I fell asleep and when I woke up, there were no announcements. Well, I thought they abandoned ship and left me behind. About 4 hours later, the Captain came on and gave us an update. At our last dinner, I asked the Captain why the announcements stopped and told him I thought they left me behind. He said, I'm sorry but I was more interested in keeping you all safe and that was more important than giving you updates that really wouldn't make the ship stop rocking and rolling. Even though some had some bumps and bruises and great stories, we all came home safe, because the Captain got us through this terrible storm.

I keep reading that people wanted more communication and it reminded me of one of my cruises in a storm. We were going through the Drake Passage in a 239 foot ship and we encountered a storm that the Captain said was the worst he has ever encountered on an Antarctic cruise. The waves were coming over the ship. We were confined to our cabins and they would give us announcements every 1/2 hour or so. I fell asleep and when I woke up, there were no announcements. Well, I thought they abandoned ship and left me behind. About 4 hours later, the Captain came on and gave us an update. At our last dinner, I asked the Captain why the announcements stopped and told him I thought they left me behind. He said, I'm sorry but I was more interested in keeping you all safe and that was more important than giving you updates that really wouldn't make the ship stop rocking and rolling. Even though some had some bumps and bruises and great stories, we all came home safe, because the Captain got us through this terrible storm.
And yet there are other Captains on other ships who kept their passengers regularly informed. I would think someone else could be assigned to that task if the Captain is so busy.

Just wondering...a question in my mind sparked by the poster who said her daughter was clutching the passports..

What on earth would have happened if the had to evacuate?

Yes I know it was never at this point but honestly evacuate 4000 plus into the storm waters?

I think they should have stayed in Florida the extra day

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I believe you will agree with me that yes, the passengers on this cruise were inconvenienced, sick, frightened, and perhaps injured, but that their lives were never in danger, any more than any other time you venture on a ship in the ocean. I don't deal with customer service issues, so I won't do any comment on compensation, or the communication problems onboard, but I will say that there are Captains that are better at communicating with passengers, and those that are not, and that this skill is not part of the required professional knowledge and abilities required to be a ship's Captain..

I agree with everything else you stated in your post, except for this...

If a Captain is an otherwise skilled mariner, but has no "people skills"....then he should be in command of a freighter, and not a cruise ship, IMHO....

1.)This storm was forecasted well ahead of time and accurately predicted….no excuses for not knowing the impact.

6.)The next cruise is delayed by a day anyway…With the forecast BA should have stayed near the Bahamas for one or two additional days and let this storm get further North then deal with the next cruise departure delay.

9.)I have to believe this decision cost the company much more than if they delayed the return home or shortened the cruise to get in front of the storm.

10.) What about the impact on the GEM? I haven't seen much discussion on that....they left NYC at the height of the storm….seem’s to me that two captains couldn’t possibly make such reckless decisions.

You stated that very well....I trust you will convey your feelings at the next Annual Meeting?:)

Sailing from NY harbor in the heart of winter.....HMMM....What did these passengers "future lawyers" expect. Did they not realize that the North Atlantic anytime of year can be quite volatile, but in these winter months you take a chance of weather like this. Just like going through the caribbean during hurricane season. Big difference is because of the coast and path of these types of storms, there is no where to go. The Captain and crew kept everyone safe and the Monday morning QB's need to take a deep breath. I cruise out of NY every winter, have hit some very rough seas and storms but know well before paying what might happen. Do your research before you book a cruise from anywhere, specifically a winter home port. I left on BA in February in and it was so cold the ship was iced up. Currently, the Hudson River is partially frozen over, a rare occurrence but it does and can happen. Good Luck with the Lawsuits....maybe add Mother Nature on there too.

I live in the NYC area, the storm was much worse than predicted. We were supposed to get 2 - 4 inches of snow, turns out my kids got 2 days off from school. I’m guessing decisions were made based upon the weather reports when they set sail.

Sailing from NY harbor in the heart of winter.....HMMM....What did these passengers "future lawyers" expect. Did they not realize that the North Atlantic anytime of year can be quite volatile, but in these winter months you take a chance of weather like this. Just like going through the caribbean during hurricane season. Big difference is because of the coast and path of these types of storms, there is no where to go. The Captain and crew kept everyone safe and the Monday morning QB's need to take a deep breath. I cruise out of NY every winter, have hit some very rough seas and storms but know well before paying what might happen. Do your research before you book a cruise from anywhere, specifically a winter home port. I left on BA in February in and it was so cold the ship was iced up. Currently, the Hudson River is partially frozen over, a rare occurrence but it does and can happen. Good Luck with the Lawsuits....maybe add Mother Nature on there too.

Exactly...these passengers sure love the lower fares at this time of year out of NYC though. If you want calm seas, cruise the caribbean in the winter and not the Atlantic.

I agree with everything else you stated in your post, except for this...

If a Captain is an otherwise skilled mariner, but has no "people skills"....then he should be in command of a freighter, and not a cruise ship, IMHO....

There is also the argument that "people skills" (and communicating with passengers is not the only "people skill" that a supervisory person can have) are below the passenger's, crew's and ship's safety, and even the environment, and so at a time when his attention was most likely needed on the bridge, the Captain felt that he had to prioritize his duties, and communication fell down the list.

Until you know the exact amount of data available onboard the ship at the time, and what the protocols of the ISM system require in the way of passage planning, bridge team management, and storm protocols, you can't judge the Captain's decision. Even the Anthem's skipper was found not to be negligent or improper in his decision by the USCG, and was even commended by the USCG. RCI, based on the negative PR impact decided to revise their ISM system with regards to storm passage planning, even though this was not required by either the class society or the flag state.

Have you ever been on the bridge during a storm?
The Captain is not the only one on the bridge who keeps the ship afloat. ugh! I don't need to have that experience to know that it only takes a few minutes to communicate and I think he may even be capable of multitasking. :rolleyes:

I feel terrible for these passengers and am dissapointed by some of the reactions of our fellow cruisecritic members. People will defend NCL no matter what I guess.

We sometimes cruise during hurricane season and know the risks it involves such as: some rougher seas, missing ports (happened to us several times because of a hurricane or storm), possibly cruising a day late or having to come back earlier due to a storm. But I would NEVER expect the captain to sail us THROUGH a hurricane. It is very unfortunate that this ship didnt stay further out to sea an extra day or 2 or come back early. Issuing some credit and refund to that sailing and the one after it would have been a much better option for its guests (although I'm sure there would still be complainers) instead of terrifying them, damaging the ship, and dealing with the negative press. I am sure the captain isnt 100% to be blamed for this poor decision either...

The Captain is not the only one on the bridge who keeps the ship afloat. ugh! I don't need to have that experience to know that it only takes a few minutes to communicate and I think he may even be capable of multitasking. :rolleyes:

Multitasking means taking your eye off the ball. You don't expect surgeons to "multitask" during surgery?

I don't believe the ship sailed "through" the storm, they followed it up the coast. As for keeping further offshore, this would have placed the wind from the storm (since wind blows counterclockwise around a low) and the resulting seas on the Breakaway's stern. Any mariner out there will tell you that it is far better to have the wind and seas on the bow rather than the stern. The continual lifting of the stern by the wind and waves reduces the steering effect of rudders or azipods, making course keeping (and hence roll control) more difficult. It also presents a greater chance of the propellers coming close to the surface when the stern lifts, with the possibility of it overspeeding and shutting down, with resultant reduction in steering and propulsion power for a pod. Finally, ship's bows are designed to cleave and ride waves, while sterns are not, and had they had following winds of that velocity and following seas of that size, the ship would have been "rolling her guts out", with attendant damage to the ship and injuries to the passengers.

I am not disagreeing with what you wrote. But some of what you wrote can also make the case for NCL. Yes the next cruise was delayed by one day. NCL says Bravo! The captain saved 6 nights of income instead of a total loss. That is one heck of a good job!

As far as the ship under stress.....its not a tin can and is built to take stress. A little splashing salt water down the stairs is not going to permanently damage the ship.

The captain thought he could do it without hurting anyone or killing anyone. That part was successful. No one suffered injury or death. He just scared the hell out of the passengers :o:eek::o

DH and I have been through worse, 40 ft seas on the Jewel during Hurricane Sandy. And yes, I did almost roll out of bed. That said, I also know that the screamers and yellers told stories that in no way matched what we experienced. We were still able to have dinners in the restaurants, you could still walk the ship, glass breakage was minimal. Some elevators stopped running (it's a safety mechanism). And yes of course people were throwing up.

But for all the hysteria on the TV and here on the boards what we went through in Sandy was nowhere near what those people were making it out to be. Add into that that DH and I were on the BA just 2 weeks earlier and were amazed at how incredibly stable it was in 15 to 20 ft seas (no rolling at all), and I really question some of what is being said here.

You'll find lots of answers today, as people begin boarding BA. If there's next to no signs of broken glass and such, you can be sure the stories are mostly just stories, as there's no way the crew would be able to repair damage on that scale when they were letting passengers board starting last night.