List of ships with FREE steam and/or Sauna

Okay.....is Liberty of the Seas info on the sheet still up to date? Free and not co-ed...

Has anyone been on her this 2022 season? I am looking at May of 2023....no dry dock scheduled....

Howard

1 hour ago, HLR said:

Okay.....is Liberty of the Seas info on the sheet still up to date? Free and not co-ed...

Has anyone been on her this 2022 season? I am looking at May of 2023....no dry dock scheduled....

Howard

Yes Liberty has not been amplified yet, so it still has full steam and sauna in the men’s locker room. Free and not co-ed. 

I am going on Liberty next week, can’t wait!

• Like 2

On 10/26/2022 at 8:24 PM, Ships and Dip said:

Yes Liberty has not been amplified yet, so it still has full steam and sauna in the men’s locker room. Free and not co-ed. 

I am going on Liberty next week, can’t wait!

Well Yay! And it looks quite like Adventure of the Seas....which had very nice new shower fittings.

• Like 2

On 8/21/2022 at 5:10 PM, sailerjosh22 said:

Hey everyone, I’m excited to be cruising again soon and hoping to meet some friendly guys in the sauna/steam room. 😉

I booked the following cruises. Anyone else planning to go as well? I purchased the thermal suite pass in advance on the NCL Dawn. 

NCL Dawn Sept. 25, 2022 - British Isles 

Diamond Princess Apr. 20, 2023 - Japan

Also, if anyone wants to chat about their sauna/steam room experiences via email let me know. 

Happy to chat with another cruise fan anytime! The Spa area is an integral part of my workout, I cannot image a workout with out a visit! Josh.

• Like 2

On 10/26/2022 at 6:53 PM, HLR said:

Howard

I was last on her 4 years ago, my son and I had an awesome time, great facilities, I hope she was not AMPED!

• Like 1

On 8/27/2022 at 2:17 PM, sailerjosh22 said:

Yup, there is the coed area with sauna and steam room in the mens and womens change room. 

When I was on the Dawn in March, a female attendant came in the men's only area every hour (or more) to check the temp of the steam and sauna.  Sometimes she would announce her presence and other times not.  Many times naked guys were surprised by her.  I wrote a letter of complaint to Norwegian and never heard back.  They would never allow a male to go in the women's area.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, billys5764 said:

When I was on the Dawn in March, a female attendant came in the men's only area every hour (or more) to check the temp of the steam and sauna.  Sometimes she would announce her presence and other times not.  Many times naked guys were surprised by her.  I wrote a letter of complaint to Norwegian and never heard back.  They would never allow a male to go in the women's area.

That does seem kind of risky on the cruise lines part to "expose" a female crew member to that situation, unless it involved a safety issue. I go into a sauna/steam  after a workout to unwid, relax, chill with other men, not to be startled like that that! Josh.

• Like 1

Just updated the spreadsheet for NCL Getaway: No free steam/sauna facilities. Only a co-ed paid spa area. $299/week, not worth it in my opinion.

Upcoming choice to cruise on RC Voyager of the Seas or Rhapsody of the Seas, from what i've found online, it seems Voyager has had the men's only sauna/steam removed, but it's still on Rhapsody. Can anyone confirm?

Cruise Ship Saunas

Edited by jsm1985

jsm1985, thanks for the update.

A note to all others. ANY change you make to the database is auto-saved. There is no temporary change while you are on it. That means if you highlight ships to compare them. It is permanent. If you change the formatting of the data in any way, it stays that way when you exit.

The DB then needs to be cleaned up (not that hard to do) but still takes time.

Please be aware of this. Thanks.

Edited by ShipWalker

Hoping someone, who was recently on Brilliance OTS, can tell me if there are still free male and female sauna and steam rooms.

There seems to be some confusion concerning the Brilliance on the excel sheet as I think a thermal suite exists but the free, single-sex sauna and steam rooms are also still there.   

I watched this recent (dated one month ago) YouTube ship tour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk4iZEk4UrE&t=135s

and it looks like the free sauna and steam rooms are located in the mens and ladies dressing rooms in the spa.

Thanks for your help.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/7/2022 at 5:22 AM, JoshuaLifter said:

That does seem kind of risky on the cruise lines part to "expose" a female crew member to that situation, unless it involved a safety issue. I go into a sauna/steam  after a workout to unwid, relax, chill with other men, not to be startled like that that! Josh.

I was on the NCL Jade recently and was surprised twice by a female spa crew member checking in every hour. After the 2nd time, I spoke to the Spa Manager and told her it was not acceptable - for both the guests and the female crew members who had to do this i.e. they were not comfortable doing it. She said it was an NCL required safety check and they didn't have enough male spa crew members to do the hourly checks. I told her she needed to do a better job of scheduling her staff and to bring on other male crew members to help out.

After that, no more female crew members checked in on the male side of the Thermal Spa. She got the Fitness Instructor and other male cleaning crew to help out. Problem solved but it's surprising they didn't have the common sense not to do this in the first place.

FYI, like any of the NCL Jewel class ships, the (payment required) Thermal Spa has a central co-ed section, and separate male and female sections with a hot tub, a cold dunking tub, large sauna with windows, steam room, lockers and showers.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, deepbluediver said:

I was on the NCL Jade recently and was surprised twice by a female spa crew member checking in every hour. After the 2nd time, I spoke to the Spa Manager and told her it was not acceptable - for both the guests and the female crew members who had to do this i.e. they were not comfortable doing it. She said it was an NCL required safety check and they didn't have enough male spa crew members to do the hourly checks. I told her she needed to do a better job of scheduling her staff and to bring on other male crew members to help out.

After that, no more female crew members checked in on the male side of the Thermal Spa. She got the Fitness Instructor and other male cleaning crew to help out. Problem solved but it's surprising they didn't have the common sense not to do this in the first place.

FYI, like any of the NCL Jewel class ships, the (payment required) Thermal Spa has a central co-ed section, and separate male and female sections with a hot tub, a cold dunking tub, large sauna with windows, steam room, lockers and showers.

Oops... forgot to add that the fitness center also has smaller separate men and women locker rooms that have a small steam room, a shower, a toilet and some lockers in each of them. Free to use and got busier as the cruise progressed as more folks found out about the free steam room.

FYI... the temperature in this free steam room was much more tolerable than the one in the Thermal Spa but I did enjoy the quiet of the Thermal Spa which was never very busy.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, deepbluediver said:

The Jewel Class ships have the best male only spa facilities.  We always pay the extra for this great amenity.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Looking at Pride of America cruises - can anyone tell me if this ship has separate male and female sauna and steam rooms.

If so, is there a charge to use these facilities?

Hoping to hear from someone who has been on the Pride of America recently.

Thank you.

They used to, for free. But Since the remodel several years ago, I understand it is all co-ed. We'll be on it in Mid-April. I'll report back about any single-sex option - free or paid.

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, 2cruiseluvrs said:

Some people prefer same-gender saunas and steam rooms. Others prefer coed. What is your preference, and if you care to share, why do you lean that way?

I prefer to be naked or with a Towel, wearing a bathing suite is not as hygienic in my opinion.

• Like 3

On 3/28/2023 at 8:57 PM, 2cruiseluvrs said:

Some people prefer same-gender saunas and steam rooms. Others prefer coed. What is your preference, and if you care to share, why do you lean that way?

I dont think men and women should be together in saunas.Dont approve of co ed areas.

On 3/29/2023 at 1:57 AM, 2cruiseluvrs said:

I like the freedom to be nude in a sauna/steam setting as one should be. Elastic waistbands on shorts block skin pores thus preventing the body from sweating properly, I will wrap a towel loosely around me but usually end up sitting on it.  It seems in recent times  (with the advent of mobile phone cameras?) people have become more averse to stripping off, you only have to look at the fools dancing around in a locker room when changing into sports gear/swimmers, in the past men would have just dropped their underwear & then put on whatever they needed to. I feel we are going backwards.

• Like 3