Some questions on Regent Alaska cruise

Dido1972

A baby in the pool is truly disgusting and is not permitted on almost all cruise ships (there are splash pools on some large ships where swim diapers are permitted). Anyone entering the pool after the baby was there runs the risk of illness. Really gross.

Textile Chic - perhaps you can bring a small. blow up pool for your son to splash in. I've heard of people doing that on cruise mainstream cruise lines. Unfortunately there are few rules on the website regarding children since they are rarely on the ships. There could be an issue if the older children were running around - dive bombing in the pool when adults are trying to relax or swim in the pool. Older children also should not be playing in elevators - running up and down stairs, etc. Children are welcome on Regent but they should not be interfering with other guests who have also paid to be on the cruise.

Officers can obviously bring their children on the ship - regardless of age. However, unless the website has changed (too lazy to look it up at the moment), a baby must be one year of age to sail on Regent.

Alaska is probably the best cruise for children - lots to see and do onshore in most ports. Most children (and adults) are happy to have a quiet evening after being out from early morning to evening and then sitting through a long dinner. And if you have sea days, the odds of the weather being nice enough to go into the pool is iffy. Last year it rained all summer in Alaska.

What month will you be sailing? We've found the best weather to be in May - the worst in August but with climate change, everything is turned upside down.

Edited by Travelcat2

Agreed. I think it's been stated on here more than once, it's not usually the kids that are the problem, it's the parents. I'm sure if you're respectful of the other passengers around you (and it sounds like you are since you're already concerned about your son) you won't have any problems. We've seen a few kids on Regent and the only time we've had any real problems is when the kids were running amok and the parents completely ignored the havoc they were causing. That and the occasional groups of teens lounging on the interior stairways completely blocking the stairs...but that's a separate issue. ;)

To my knowledge, no cruise line will permit children that are not potty trained in the pool or jacuzzi (for obvious reasons).

That's what I figured. I know this is the case on most cruise lines. Not that it will be nice enough for swimming anyway. Just want to prepare the cousins in advance that we will not be joining them in the water! Thanks!

Mum & baby used the ship's pool at quiet times.

I'm glad that this has been posted. This must be a wonderful captain. The disregarding of rules is coming right from the top. I am looking forward to my next Regent cruise where I won't have to worry about being told what I can or can't do.

I'm glad that this has been posted. This must be a wonderful captain. The disregarding of rules is coming right from the top. I am looking forward to my next Regent cruise where I won't have to worry about being told what I can or can't do.

Just because someone posted it does not make it okay nor does it mean that you can do whatever you want to do on a cruise. Something should have been politely said to the General Manager since the mom probably didn't know better. As the old saying goes "two wrongs do not make a right".

Just because someone posted it does not make it okay nor does it mean that you can do whatever you want to do on a cruise. Something should have been politely said to the General Manager since the mom probably didn't know better. As the old saying goes "two wrongs do not make a right".

TC,

I thnk they were being sarcastic - it was the captains baby according to the post.

TC,

I thnk they were being sarcastic - it was the captains baby according to the post.

Unfortunately, sarcasm and/or irony does not come across well with the written word (I know - I tend to have a sarcastic sense humor that works fine in real life but is horrible on Cruise Critic. My concern is that posters would take fizzy's post literally.

I understand that this was the Captain's child and there are exceptions to the rule for officers families since they do not get to see them very often and the time they spend onboard is very special. However, the TS really wanted to know about babies that are not toilet trained going in the pool. This is not just a policy issue but rather a health issue. Not trying to sound gross but I doubt if "swim diapers" would contain diarrhea. If this would get into the pool water, it is not a good thing. I took this very seriously.

I am mostly a reader/lurker on CC and became a recent member. I will step up on this. A sixteen month old child does not belong on a adult oriented cruise. I have had my children and would never think about disrupting the ambience of any luxury cruise line with a child through no fault of their own having tantrums and crying fits. Think about it.

I will always remember a family group on a Mediterranean cruise a couple of years ago. Most of them had a great time relaxing by the pool, the bar, dining in all the restaurants and generally enjoying the whole experience. The only person who didn't enjoy herself was the mother of an 18 month old who spent endless hours walking up and down the decks and corridors with a fractious child in a stroller. The poor woman was acutely aware of the disruption her child was potentially causing and to her credit she did everything in her power to minimise it. But it wasn't much of a holiday for her.

I overheard her saying they were on the trip to celebrate the grandparents anniversary who wanted the whole family there too. I never once saw either grandparent babysitting.