Dining Room Attire

We just got off of LOS for Christmas. and every night except the 2 formal nights were casual. People were mostly wearing jeans, and some shorts for dinner. I don't mind, but is that new norm for dining room dinners? Just wondering so next time I don't bring as many dresses. Thanks

We just got off of LOS for Christmas. and every night except the 2 formal nights were casual. People were mostly wearing jeans, and some shorts for dinner. I don't mind, but is that new norm for dining room dinners? Just wondering so next time I don't bring as many dresses. Thanks

Yep, new norm, Since the cruise line no longer enforces any dress code, you see the full range of attire.

Another dress code thread! Dress has always been "suggested ". Wearing jeans has never been disallowed. Shorts are technically frowned on, both in cruise compass and signage at entrance to dining room.

Wear what makes you happy and comfortable. Within reason, e.g. Clean, non-offensive, will rarely be turned away.

I don't usually comment on this subject, but I have to say that on the Anthem last month it was anything goes in the dining room at dinner. Men with sleeveless shirts and shorts that looked like swimwear, baseball caps on backwards with sunglasses on front, gym shorts, etc. I guess the suggested "casual attire" is outdated and anything goes. I will say though that on formal nights most were dressed very elegant.

My take on dress code....Wife and I are doing our 1st cruise on RC after 3 on Carnival. Sounds like dress code restrictions have generally relaxed quite a bit since our last. We will dress suggested attire as that is our preference...Non formal casual and then dress up on formal nights (suit/tie, dress..not on the same person:)). Like the formal dress to get nice pictures to take home in addition to very casual pics.

That is our preference and others have the right to wear whatever they want (especially in MDR that they paid for). However, I would cringe if i saw a couple coming into dining room wearing string bikini/banana hammock. Although extreme, just have to have some common sense even though you're paying a lot for the cruise. Wear what you want but don't do so where others rights are infringed to their cruise where some take offense....my wife and I wouldn't on most but know others may.

It’s been a few years,so it may have changed, but we thought that Europe and Asia were more towards dressy casual most nights.

We were on an Australia and New Zealand cruise last year and they were as casual as the Caribbean.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Is Europe as relaxed as the Caribbean?

Having experienced both, I would say the European itineraries most passengers participate in the Formal nights.

The Caribbean itineraries less so, except on the smaller class of ships attracting an older demographic.

Just got off Navigator last week and I will say as far as dress "anything goes". Every night except Formal night saw men wearing shorts and T's. I guess you can wear whatever you want, nothing said at entrance to dining room, most dressed as though they were dining at Golden Corral.

We were on the same cruise, and our nice jeans, are our nice casual dinner wear. Same goes for my kids. They were not wearing dirty torn up clothes, and overall were dress nicely. Formal night was dresses and my husband wore slacks, dress shirt, and tie. Even that required purchasing clothes for him. He doesn't have a need for formal attire or suits in his daily life. Well that is mostly true. He does have a dress uniform, that he refused to wear on vacation. My feeling is people should not be required to buy a new wardrobe for vacation. As for the service and food, we had no complaints with the main dining room every night. Our meals came out hot, our servers were magnificent, and the food was pretty good though under salted.

RCI is trying to lower your blood pressure.

I actually pointed that out to my husband. A lot of places have cut back the salt in their food, because people want low salt or are told to be on a low salt diet. I also think a lot of people don't realize how much of a difference this can make to the flavors of a meal. Try adding a little salt if you find the flavors bland, and you may be surprised. It is always on the table, except the day we had two pepper shakers at lunch. We are also probably less picky than some. My husband thinks the army food and coffee is acceptable, and for me, any meal I don't have to prepare and clean up after is generally a treat.

I actually pointed that out to my husband. A lot of places have cut back the salt in their food, because people want low salt or are told to be on a low salt diet. I also think a lot of people don't realize how much of a difference this can make to the flavors of a meal. Try adding a little salt if you find the flavors bland, and you may be surprised. It is always on the table, except the day we had two pepper shakers at lunch. We are also probably less picky than some. My husband thinks the army food and coffee is acceptable, and for me, any meal I don't have to prepare and clean up after is generally a treat.

#SoLongMyPepperGrinderOfLove

epic... 2 sig link hashtags in a span of like a half dozen posts!!!!

Not sure how the subject got switched to salt/pepper, but as far as dress in the dining room, we have always packed suit for DH and formal wear for me. However this coming cruise is going to be for 12 nights and I'm not taking any of that stuff. It would just put me over the edge with packing. We will be wearing nice dress slacks, skirt, shirts/blouses.