Cabin-mate lost her birth certificate, any hope of boarding?

If that is a reason for REAL ID it's an unstated one. State's have the right to issue a license to whomever they want to, REAL ID doesn't change that.

I can't link from my phone but tighter standards for identification was the EXACT purpose of the real ID mandate, according to the dhs.gov website

I can't link from my phone but tighter standards for identification was the EXACT purpose of the real ID mandate, according to the dhs.gov website

Tighter security for facilities and forms etc. but ONLY so those IDs may be used to enter property under Federal jurisdiction. The Federal government still cannot dictate who a state can issue a license to and any individual state may continue to (or not to) issue non-compliant licenses, no matter how tough the Feds want to make the standards. There are some people for whom having a non-compliant license isn't a big deal, they don't fly or do anything else requiring entry onto Federal jurisdiction and don't want to waste the time necessary to obtain a compliant license. For them, in some states at least, they have an option.

...She may not be online; I find if I don't log out, I sometimes remain logged in for days, even when not on line.

Well, I have actually been "logged in" for many consecutive months, but the green circle by our user name lights up when we actually have a browser window open on this site. Once you close the window, you are no longer considered to be "online". Besides, I have been watching for an update and her light has not been on until tonight.

Anyway, that's enough from me about it, not a big deal. :D