Cabin-mate lost her birth certificate, any hope of boarding?

It's my understanding, if the passport has been issued within 15 years of the renewal application date, it's valid for renewal.

Yes, if it expired in 2005, it was issued in 1995. So valid for renewal until 2010. 5 years after expiration = 15 years after issuance.

Beginning in late March '18 Massachusetts will begin offering EDL's. Their RMV web site clearly explains the options, need if flying without a passport after 2020, but couldn't find the cost. Interesting note, the site states that 58% of MA residents hold a passport.

We have always used passports and have Global Entry, thus no need to go this route.

Darcy

I am in MA and bec ause I renew my license this year, I have been reading MA drivers will be able to get EDL. Se eing I have Passport and card, I think I will simply reenew for a 'regular license. I won't be driving to C anada. I can't see I have any use for EDL. Thanks to those who helped explain.

I am amazedbut happy by the statisti c that r8% of MA residents have passport.

Edited by sail7seas

I am in MA and bec ause I renew my license this year, I have been reading MA drivers will be able to get EDL. Se eing I have Passport and card, I think I will simply reenew for a 'regular license. I won't be driving to C anada. I can't see I have any use for EDL. Thanks to those who helped explain.

As stated above Massachusetts will not be issuing EDL's, they will be issuing REAL ID compliant licenses and as has been stated a number of times they are not the same thing. To get an EDL you need to prove you are a US citizen and the issued EDL will have an RIFD chip similar to passports and passport card. For a REAL ID you only need to show that you have legal presence in the US, so a permanent resident may get one but that person is not a US citizen.

Massachusetts does not offer enhanced drivers licenses. When you go to renew your license next you will need to get a Real ID compliant license, which is marked with a gold star, if you wish to fly domestically.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I read a post a year or so ago here on CC that someone in your predicament only had a copy of their BC and was told it would not be accepted at check in. They took the state copy, turned it upside down, placed a quarter on it and hit the quarter with a hammer and had a instant raised seal BC that got them on the ship. True or not true who knows, Maybe that poster will read this and respond. good luck

Your 'as stated' coomments were posted afte r my message was posted . I could not make note of what you wrote until yo u wrote and posted it. :)

Post number 48 was talking about Mass issuing REAL ID compliant licenses and not EDL's and numerous references prior to that clearly state that they are two very different animals.

When one travels, be sure to confirm the type of documentation needed to fly, take a cruise, an overseas trip including those countries requiring a visa. Do this asap, not a few days before your trip. Check with travel partners and ask to see the document....if the person is reluctant, come up with some lame excuse such as "I'm taking care of online check in and need to confirm the paperwork." Two set of eyes might be needed to check names, spelling, and dates. Then put all the documents together in your travel folder and don't forget it when leaving the house.

Yes, a valid passport costs more that a certified copy of one's both certificate. But it works best!

Darcy

I read a post a year or so ago here on CC that someone in your predicament only had a copy of their BC and was told it would not be accepted at check in. They took the state copy, turned it upside down, placed a quarter on it and hit the quarter with a hammer and had a instant raised seal BC that got them on the ship. True or not true who knows, Maybe that poster will read this and respond. good luck

Not that you are suggesting it overtly, but it doesn't seem like a smart idea to falsify a government-issued document....

Not that you are suggesting it overtly, but it doesn't seem like a smart idea to falsify a government-issued document....

...especially with a quarter - the eagle does not look that official and the impression would be a bit small. Better to use the reverse of a silver eagle dollar coin - and a rubber mallet rather than a hammer, to get a more credible impression.

A lot of valid discussion here but in the end unless the OP's cabin mate can find her birth certificate or travels to Washington to get a same-day passport she's not sailing. If her passport expired in 2005 that means that her photo was taken in 1995. I don't see an airline or cruise agent, or US immigration agent, having much patience to believe that a person standing before them in 2018 is the same person in the 1995 photo. We can only wish it were so but tempus fugit.

Just a side note about passports - they're not just for travel. Last fall a lost my wallet and along with it my driver's license. For almost two weeks I used my passport for banking and train travel ID. Without it I would have been screwed until my replacement photo license arrived.

Edited by BlueRiband

Massachusetts does not offer enhanced drivers licenses. When you go to renew your license next you will need to get a Real ID compliant license, which is marked with a gold star, if you wish to fly domestically.

Why would I "NEED" to get a Real ID comp;liant license seing I have a valid passport and passport card? I may choose to but I don't see that a Real ID compliant license is superior to a passport. for domestic flying. I'll decide if I even want it, if given t he option to get the usual style license like MA drivers currently have when I renew my DL

Edited by sail7seas

Why would I "NEED" to get a Real ID comp;liant license seing I have a valid passport and passport card? I may choose to but I don't see that a Real ID compliant license is superior to a passport. for domestic flying. I'll decide if I even want it, if given t he option to get the usual style license like MA drivers currently have when I renew my DL

You will also need either your Real Id complaint license to enter any federally regulated buildings such as jails, court houses and nuclear power facilities. Yes, your passport and passport card can also function as valid ID for entrance to such facilities. However, a drivers license is typically more convenient to carry for most people.

LOL, same argument I present for people making up their own minds about getting a passport:).

You will also need either your Real Id complaint license to enter any federally regulated buildings such as jails, court houses and nuclear power facilities. Yes, your passport and passport card can also function as valid ID for entrance to such facilities. However, a drivers license is typically more convenient to carry for most people.

When one factors in the hassle it takes to get a REAL ID compliant license it's no surprise that some people will decide to forego them, especially if they have alternative documents at hand like sail7seas has that will work just as well.

When one factors in the hassle it takes to get a REAL ID compliant license it's no surprise that some people will decide to forego them, especially if they have alternative documents at hand like sail7seas has that will work just as well.

If you have to renew your license you will have to get a real ID compliant one. You do not get a choice.

If you have to renew your license you will have to get a real ID compliant one. You do not get a choice.

MA states on their website you can get the non-compliant one if you do not plan to fly or if you have other documents you can use to fly with. I am sure that will just add to the confusion of people who ask for ID for other things- entering a bar or buying booze, proving who you are picking up a package for example.

MA states on their website you can get the non-compliant one if you do not plan to fly or if you have other documents you can use to fly with. I am sure that will just add to the confusion of people who ask for ID for other things- entering a bar or buying booze, proving who you are picking up a package for example.

California will start issuing RealIDs later this month. They also state that it will be optional. They will continue to offer the existing driver's license as well. New York's website says they offer all three (standard, Real ID and enhanced).

Right now there is a choice. How long that choice is going to remain is up in the air. But if someone wants to delay as long as they can that's their choice. (Much of the REAL ID act pertains to the security of the ID materials and the facilities and has nothing to do with the number of compliant licenses that are issued.) Vermont has been issuing compliant licenses for some time now and they still issue non-compliant licenses to those that don't want to travel to a DMV location with the necessary documents.

It shouldn't cause any confusion for any of that stuff because both a complaint and non-compliant ID will work for that. The only thing you cannot do with a non-compliant ID is to enter any property under Federal jurisdiction.

Right now there is a choice. How long that choice is going to remain is up in the air. But if someone wants to delay as long as they can that's their choice. (Much of the REAL ID act pertains to the security of the ID materials and the facilities and has nothing to do with the number of compliant licenses that are issued.)

There is no choice in Florida, if you renew your license you must bring in compliant documents. Even if you need to change your address you must do it in person and bring your documents again. Ask me how I know

There is no choice in Florida, if you renew your license you must bring in compliant documents. Even if you need to change your address you must do it in person and bring your documents again. Ask me how I know

Same way that I know that in Vermont you have a choice. Florida is different, that's all. The person that I was having the conversation with is from Massachusetts and they are allowing a choice also (at least for now).