Cabin-mate lost her birth certificate, any hope of boarding?

She has no one in CA to get it for her. Her passport expired in 2005 so she can't get a new one based on that. I called NCL and the rep on the phone said no copies, but several people have said they have seen copies work. I know the NCL rep is likely trained not to endorse bringing copies, but I'm really hoping someone with NCL experience ( in recent years) can tell me if a copy worked? I know Carnival accepts copies, but not sure if we can swing this with NCL. I'm just hoping that with a copy of BC, expired passport, and DL, that the NCL rep checking us in will be nice. But I'm still leary having her fly down to Miami on this wing and a prayer. I really don't understand how individual cruise lines get to dictate border policy. It seems this should be standard across the board?

You can't do a passport renewal based on a passport that expired more than 5 years ago, but you can use it as proof of Citizenship to get a new passport issued.

See this page:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/apply-renew-passport/form-finder.html

She has no one in CA to get it for her. Her passport expired in 2005 so she can't get a new one based on that. I called NCL and the rep on the phone said no copies, but several people have said they have seen copies work. I know the NCL rep is likely trained not to endorse bringing copies, but I'm really hoping someone with NCL experience ( in recent years) can tell me if a copy worked? I know Carnival accepts copies, but not sure if we can swing this with NCL. I'm just hoping that with a copy of BC, expired passport, and DL, that the NCL rep checking us in will be nice. But I'm still leary having her fly down to Miami on this wing and a prayer. I really don't understand how individual cruise lines get to dictate border policy. It seems this should be standard across the board?

The cruise lines don't "get to dictate border policy". That's done by the State Department and US legislature. Cruise lines (and other carriers) are responsible for ensuring that those who they allow to board, have the right credentials to enter the country when they debark. That's why you have to show a passport to board a plane on an international flight - the airline doesn't want to have to fly you back to where you came from at their cost. The cruise line doesn't want to accept passengers who don't have the necessary documents to reenter the US.

Thanks Sparks, my confusion as I had to provide my son's passport when he got his permit two years ago.

Still the advice stands, if she/he does have an "enhanced" DL from one of the few states that offer it then that would work- am I wrong?

While thinking about this- if she/he did recently have to get a new drivers license and need this documentation just for the "real ID" type perhaps if they think about what they did when they came home from the DMV they can locate the needed birth certificate.

Yes an EDL from one of the 5 states that issue them may be used for closed loop and open jaw sailings within the WHTI area.

Several of you mentioned that a copy of the BC might work. She thinks she may be able to round that up. Are you guys SURE a copy will work? Oh please, oh please, oh please.....

The DHS regulations specify that an "original or copy" of a birth certificate may be used. The NCL website is silent on this matter but I do recall reading many threads where the passenger's cruise on NCL was saved by the timely faxing of their birth certificate. The key is making sure that the copy is fully legible.

Just offering facts ---it was asked ---Do you live in a state that has implemented the "real ID" drivers license or also know as "enhanced"?

Real ID act compliant drivers licenses and enhanced drivers licenses are different. While it is true than EDL’s (enhanced drivers licenses) are Real ID licenses. Not all Real ID licenses are EDL’s.

EDL’s are only issued from five states: Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont and Washington. It allows travel to Canada, Bermuda, The Caribbean and Mexico by land or sea.

If you only possess a drivers license (whether Real ID or not) you must have either a passport, passport card, global entry card or a valid raised-seal birth certificate to partake in a closed-loop cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OP - you've received lots of strange information and advice. Several other posters have already given you the correct answer.

She needs to go to make an appointment for a same day renewal at the passport office in D.C, and she needs to do this ASAP as she's running out of time. Her expired passport is fine for I.D. Make sure she brings all the required documentation, which is listed in the link below. This is the only way she will be able to board without that BC.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/requirements/where-to-apply/passport-agencies/washington.html

She needs to go to the nearest passport office, in person, with her expired passport and the supporting documents. It'll cost, but they can issue a new passport very quickly.

I know It's a pain, and it means a day off of work. But she really risks not being allowed to board the ship otherwise. And all of that money will be gone.

No, that's not correct. A driver's license that is REAL ID compliant is not an Enhanced Drivers License, they are two completely different thing. An EDL may be used to proof citizenship and ID with one document but a REAL ID compliant license won't.

(

My state has not yet issued EDL's (I think they will start soon?) .I have a valid passport and passport card but wonder if the passport card would be eligible to substtitue i in places at times an E DL is required?

Thanks if anyone knows

(

My state has not yet issued EDL's (I think they will start soon?) .I have a valid passport and passport card but wonder if the passport card would be eligible to substtitue i in places at times an E DL is required?

Thanks if anyone knows

A passport card is essentially an enhanced drivers license without being valid for driving. It is only valid for land and sea crossings into Canada, Bermuda, The Caribbean and Mexico. For any other countries, or if flying you will need your passport book.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

(

Thanks if anyone knows

What state are you in?

OP - you've received lots of strange information and advice. Several other posters have already given you the correct answer.

She needs to go to make an appointment for a same day renewal at the passport office in D.C, and she needs to do this ASAP as she's running out of time. Her expired passport is fine for I.D. Make sure she brings all the required documentation, which is listed in the link below. This is the only way she will be able to board without that BC.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/requirements/where-to-apply/passport-agencies/washington.html

Not same day renewal - same day new passport - it's a different form and a slightly higher fee. The passport expired in 2005 which is more than 5 years ago so it doesn't qualify for the renewal process, but it is still proof of citizenship for the new passport process. Other than that, your info is correct.

Not same day renewal - same day new passport - it's a different form and a slightly higher fee. The passport expired in 2005 which is more than 5 years ago so it doesn't qualify for the renewal process, but it is still proof of citizenship for the new passport process. Other than that, your info is correct.

It's my understanding, if the passport has been issued within 15 years of the renewal application date, it's valid for renewal.

I assume that you have called the cruise company to see what they say.

DON

Thanks. I was scanning this thread and getting concerned that no one would suggest this.

OP I hope you report back and let us know what happened.

It's my understanding, if the passport has been issued within 15 years of the renewal application date, it's valid for renewal.

Yes, that is true. The OP said that the passport in question expired in 2005 which means that it was issued in 1995 which is more than 15 years ago. Even if the person was a child getting a 5-year passport at the time of the old one, it would still have been issued in 2000 which is more than 15 years ago.

I assume that you have called the cruise company to see what they say.

Thanks. I was scanning this thread and getting concerned that no one would suggest this.... OP I hope you report back and let us know what happened.

OP stated in post 25 that she already called NCL.

She has no one in CA to get it for her. Her passport expired in 2005 so she can't get a new one based on that. I called NCL and the rep on the phone said no copies, but several people have said they have seen copies work. I know the NCL rep is likely trained not to endorse bringing copies, but I'm really hoping someone with NCL experience ( in recent years) can tell me if a copy worked?...

I guess we will know in a few days how this all worked out.

(

Thanks if anyone knows

Right now only 5 states issue EDL's and I have heard of no states making a move toward issuing them (which doesn't mean anything, the negotiations with DHS can take some time). That said a passport card does the same thing that an EDL does except as noted an EDL allows you to also drive (which is the reason we opted for EDL's since it's one less document to carry, even though in the long run it costs more). Again, an EDL is not the same as a REAL ID compliant license. I fear this confusion is going to cost someone a cruise.

Right now only 5 states issue EDL's and I have heard of no states making a move toward issuing them (which doesn't mean anything, the negotiations with DHS can take some time). That said a passport card does the same thing that an EDL does except as noted an EDL allows you to also drive (which is the reason we opted for EDL's since it's one less document to carry, even though in the long run it costs more). Again, an EDL is not the same as a REAL ID compliant license. I fear this confusion is going to cost someone a cruise.

I believe the EDL was created as a "convenience" document for border states to, it seems now only Canada, so if one needs or wants to go to Canada by car, one not needs to get a passport, but the EDL serves as a "passport" type of document attached to your drivers license.

It just cost me 94.50 to renew it for 8 years. You also need to provide the same documentation you need to obtain a passport. BUT, if one has no need to fly, the EDL is fine for them.

Beginning in late March '18 Massachusetts will begin offering EDL's. Their RMV web site clearly explains the options, need if flying without a passport after 2020, but couldn't find the cost. Interesting note, the site states that 58% of MA residents hold a passport.

We have always used passports and have Global Entry, thus no need to go this route.

Darcy

I believe the EDL was created as a "convenience" document for border states to, it seems now only Canada, so if one needs or wants to go to Canada by car, one not needs to get a passport, but the EDL serves as a "passport" type of document attached to your drivers license.

It just cost me 94.50 to renew it for 8 years. You also need to provide the same documentation you need to obtain a passport. BUT, if one has no need to fly, the EDL is fine for them.

Which is exactly why the passport card was created also, to give travelers a low cost option. The EDL will work to cross the border into Mexico. If my EDL cost as much as yours we'd probably opt for the passport card.

Beginning in late March '18 Massachusetts will begin offering EDL's. Their RMV web site clearly explains the options, need if flying without a passport after 2020, but couldn't find the cost. Interesting note, the site states that 58% of MA residents hold a passport.

We have always used passports and have Global Entry, thus no need to go this route.

Darcy

Do you have a link? I doubt that they will be issuing EDLs but are probably talking about issuing REAL ID compliant licenses. As stated these are two completely different documents (and verifying your citizenship in order to get a REAL ID compliant license does not mean that you can use it as a border crossing document).

Do you have a link? I doubt that they will be issuing EDLs but are probably talking about issuing REAL ID compliant licenses. As stated these are two completely different documents (and verifying your citizenship in order to get a REAL ID compliant license does not mean that you can use it as a border crossing document).

https://www.mass.gov/guides/real-id

This has been on Boston media TV/Radio for the past few months.

Darcy

Just offering facts ---it was asked ---Do you live in a state that has implemented the "real ID" drivers license or also know as "enhanced"?

As has been stated, REAL ID and Enhanced DL are not the same thing.

The cruise lines don't "get to dictate border policy". That's done by the State Department and US legislature. Cruise lines (and other carriers) are responsible for ensuring that those who they allow to board, have the right credentials to enter the country when they debark. That's why you have to show a passport to board a plane on an international flight - the airline doesn't want to have to fly you back to where you came from at their cost. The cruise line doesn't want to accept passengers who don't have the necessary documents to reenter the US.

Actually by CBP and CIS and law.

State does not dictate border policy. They just issue visas and passports.