Live from Navigator...1st leg of world cruise

crusin7

We ate in Compass Rose last night. Why didn't I know about this amazing crab and avocado salad??? Yummy with a capital Y

7baf38c97c19b2e0a6914967519e97c9.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is my all time favorite dish. Fortunately it is on the always available side. Glad you discovered it while you still have a few days to enjoy!

Enjoying your pictures also. I think Bora Bora has got to be the most beautiful of the Islands. We did the catamaran ride yesterday. It was a jaw dropping ride as far as the beauty is concerned. Working on getting caught up on the blog now. We are having too much fun enjoying the cruise!

DH is missing the news, but I don't miss the live TV at all...keeps Dick's blood pressure down!

Edited by cwn

This is my all time favorite dish. Fortunately it is on the always available side. Glad you discovered it while you still have a few days to enjoy!

Enjoying your pictures also. I think Bora Bora has got to be the most beautiful of the Islands. We did the catamaran ride yesterday. It was a jaw dropping ride as far as the beauty is concerned. Working on getting caught up on the blog now. We are having too much fun enjoying the cruise!

DH is missing the news, but I don't miss the live TV at all...keeps Dick's blood pressure down!

There is a special dish that looks very much like the photo but is not on the daily menu. Our server was so astute that he recognized that the dish that we ordered was not the one on the everyday menu and immediately changed it. If you think that the above is good, look out for the other one (wish that I knew the name of the dish but it is obviously crab).

We first visited Bora Bora for the first time in the 80's and agree that it was the most beautiful island in the world. However, due to what we consider overbuilding, while the water is still amazing, the island itself is simply not what it was. We loved Tahiti so much that we have visited there five times (once by ship - on the Paul Gauguin).

Thinking that the lack of news is a good thing. while we are avid news watchers at home, we avoid it while on vacation. There were two exceptions to this...... the first was during the presidential elections and the second was while we were in the Amazon since we were away for so long (not long compared to what you are doing). We want to know the headlines but not the details!

As you may recall, our only cruise with you and Dick was in South America. Dick was the most amazing member of our Trivia team. Since that cruise we rarely participate in Trivia as it is too cut throat. We try hard to answer the questions correctly but if our answer is incorrect, we don't want to have to walk the plank. Do hope to sail with you two again!

Tonight I ordered the infamous crab and avocado salad in our room. I realized the picture I posted showed the crab not fully dressed! I had removed the dreaded cucumbers. Here is tonight's crab fully clothed and less blue...minus CR lights.

0129245fe1490219944db2d523c126fa.jpg

I had the Mahi Mahi. It was delicious. I wish I could say the same about the yellow paste that was next to it! It did not taste like any banana I have ever eaten. Also we are asking for all our food to be prepared without added salt. Even my husband, the Sodium King. I find the food on this cruise extremely salty!

Polynesian Mahi Mahi

ec2eb6ce7e6a852f3fb53d9480fed8d2.jpg

We first visited Bora Bora for the first time in the 80's and agree that it was the most beautiful island in the world. However, due to what we consider overbuilding, while the water is still amazing, the island itself is simply not what it was. We loved Tahiti so much that we have visited there five times (once by ship - on the Paul Gauguin).

So agree with this! I stayed at the Hotel Bora Bora in the late 1970s and a few times in the 1980s. Absolute paradise. Then those ghastly overwater bungalows started to be built on the motus and bang went your dream and so did much of the island's fragile marine environment. Here's a spread from the Hotel Bora Bora's brochure showing the lagoon before the hotels started to be built -

6806153721_d4eea795fb_b.jpgHotel Bora Bora by UltraPanavision, on Flickr

So agree with this! I stayed at the Hotel Bora Bora in the late 1970s and a few times in the 1980s. Absolute paradise. Then those ghastly overwater bungalows started to be built on the motus and bang went your dream and so did much of the island's fragile marine environment. Here's a spread from the Hotel Bora Bora's brochure showing the lagoon before the hotels started to be built -

6806153721_d4eea795fb_b.jpgHotel Bora Bora by UltraPanavision, on Flickr

Thank you so much for posting that amazing photo. It brings me back to the first time that we flew into what we considered the most beautiful island on earth!

Yummy Yummy Yummy!

80ef454f5fa1fa6ff0fcc8236ffa7950.jpg

Yes, Sunday mornings are special. Dick had two servings!

We both had the crab salad last night with a filet and a baked potato. The meat was done medium and medium rare to perfection. Our waiter laughs and start the order process with crab salad and sorbet tonight?

Thank you so much for posting that amazing photo. It brings me back to the first time that we flew into what we considered the most beautiful island on earth!

We were there in the early (70ies) Club Med. There was just one other hotel. I still remember the beautiful blue green waters.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were there in the early (70ies) Club Med. There was just one other hotel. I still remember the beautiful blue green waters.

Wow - what a coincidence! Our first trip to Tahiti was also to Club Med! We spent a few days in Club Med Bora Bora and then spent a week in Moorea. Then, as you likely know, the Club Med in Bora Bora was destroyed by a hurricane and they rebuilt on a different side of the island (we later visited there as well and also returned to Moorea but on a different trip). We were big Club Med people back in the day - doing Phuket, Thailand twice, Marrakesh, Morocco as well as clubs in Mexico. Those were fun days!:D

Was Motu Tapu there when you visited? That is where a lot of the activities and swimming took place.

P.S. It is a shame that both clubs were closed down and now the remaining clubs are Japanese owned.

Edited by Travelcat2

Wow - what a coincidence! Our first trip to Tahiti was also to Club Med! We spent a few days in Club Med Bora Bora and then spent a week in Moorea. Then, as you likely know, the Club Med in Bora Bora was destroyed by a hurricane and they rebuilt on a different side of the island (we later visited there as well and also returned to Moorea but on a different trip). We were big Club Med people back in the day - doing Phuket, Thailand twice, Marrakesh, Morocco as well as clubs in Mexico. Those were fun days!:D

Was Motu Tapu there when you visited? That is where a lot of the activities and swimming took place.

P.S. It is a shame that both clubs were closed down and now the remaining clubs are Japanese owned.

We also did both places. We were there for Bastile Day and the dish of the day was lobsters, lobsters, etc. Remember “idols of the kings” to call us for dinner, beads for money. We also were Club Med people. So long ago. We did Moto Tapu and learned to do dance which consisted of much drinking...... So long ago!

Unfortunately today was our last craft glass with June. She had a makeup class today for those of us that missed a class. I made a ribbon lei. She is very patient. I think the lei came out great!

9ca2e89fd33cf09d093f15ff5e7bd7d1.jpg

Sweet! Thank you for a sighting for my 'tugs of the world' series! Love it (and yes, I know I'm odd like that ;p) Love the yellow lei too...i do hope you will remember how it was done to show me in a few weeks time!

Hi Gilly! I would love to meet you but we are getting off in Auckland.

I did the Samoan Cultural Experience. We went on open air homemade busses. Ours was decorated the nicest! Our guide had lived in California and Utah previously. She was born on the Island and returned recently.

Our bus

46649d7c9dcf2c11fe31a87f60ee4e4d.jpg

We had many photo stops.

Flower pot rocks

b921bd4908d72954e7a4ce2a5f1507aa.jpg

We went to one of the villages for a Somoan welcome ceremony

e2eae50e7cc0ec7862ffe4aa8e244a27.jpg

Samoan Ceremony

030d1ce25cbc8a90767150a5dc70b13a.jpg

Best part was yummy coconuts!

d9de21797d62fd1426b0f6a9aeb005f1.jpg

They had a few sarongs for sale for $10. I got the brown one for my daughter-in-law. I wish I had bought more because when I walked into town in the heat and humidity I came home empty handed.

124ab2a0769ab8857830690e93d78f9a.jpg

Crisy...shame! (maybe you might stowaway?!) Oh well....we'll just have to make it another time, another ship, another place :* More fantastic photos today - thank you for brightening up a dark and frosty January morning!

I am a huge fan of Bingo...BINGO! We meet every sea day in the Galileo Lounge on deck 11 aft at noon. After the Captain's announcement we begin. The bingo callers are the little kids from the entertainment staff. They will call I-22. Oh my age! Remember when we were that young??

I buy the 6 pack which costs $30. There is also a smaller 3 pack for $20. We play 4 games, with the last a coverall. For that game you may purchase an extra 3 cards for $5. I have won a few times. Here are today's losing cards.

36459d8e570f4f06fca2422638306900.jpg

Welcome to Suva, Fiji...or Bula!

41547b6b5668b60199f0867a7bc20adf.jpg

Yesterday we had a fierce rainstorm so it was good to see clouds with some blue skies. I went on the 4 hour Pacific Harbor Cultural Extravaganza. Extravaganza might be an overstatement, maybe experience. Getting off the ship you notice the friendliness of the people. We had a very warm greeting!

85f81ab6e1d52cef9fb7e290cdf67f34.jpg

Then you hop on the non air conditioned bus and yikes...you are in the sauna. Holy smokes it was hot! Once we start moving it is much better. Every other row of seats has a window. I'm out of luck on that one.

We drive out of the city to the Arts Village. I am struck by the poverty. The housing condition looks abysmal.

We pass many one room houses with tin roofs. The people smile and wave as we pass. I wish I had an open window to wave back.

bd4e53f40fa8557f572f28b328e6c358.jpg

They take a well deserved applause from the audience.

755fa7555c05d17913983de7d8e7831a.jpg

We drive back towards the ship. Our guide Luisa mentions a 20 minute stop for shopping at the mall. Holy Smokes! Doesn't she see it is 3:00 and we haven't strapped on our feed bags for hours. She takes a poll and sees that there are only 6 brave souls willing to sacrifice their stomachs for commerce. She drops them off and we all scramble on board. About 20 minutes later we hear the thunder. Then comes the rain. I think, " Those poor shopaholics" as I savor my hotdog.

65c6052af3743516f004c2587e78108f.jpg