Celebrity vs. Royal Caribbean

donnawoz

We were primarily Royal cruisers with an occasional Carnival cruise thrown in there. A few years ago we decided to try the Silhouette in the Caribbean because we got a great deal. I was worried about all the above concerns (demographics, entertainment, etc.) and loved it! It was a spring break cruise and I saw no difference between that cruise and other cruises I had been on, as far as the people onboard. Less smoking was awesome, 1 announcement per day was wonderful and the food was a step up. Since then we went on the Reflection to the Med in summer 2016 and absolutely loved it. X does the Med very well. There were a lot of children on the ship, many of them unsupervised from a large group of international travelers but that's another story. I would highly recommend giving X a try. When it comes down to it, we don't use the rock climbing wall, the flowrider, and all the other stuff that Royal has (although we do like a game of mini-golf now and then). Also, with the drink package on X, no signing of receipt necessary. Just show your seapass and get your drink. Very nice!

We have been on the Serenade, sister of the Jewel and loved that ship so if you choose the Jewel, I'm sure your experience will be great!

We are planning a family/friends reunion for 2019...first choice for the Med was Celebrity. Unfortunately, the itinerary that we selected and was offered in 2017 and 2018 will not be available in 2019. Celebrity advised that they are moving several ships that typically sail in the Med to Norway that year. Then I looked at the new Celebrity Edge which has several sailings that year with a perfect itinerary for us...roundtrip Rome with five stops in Greece, a couple of sea days and a stop in Naples; unfortunately, it's very pricey for our group (double the fare for deluxe verandahs...with just two extra nights). So we will be doing RCCL Jewel of the Seas; and I'm sure it will be great! It's been a long time since any of us have travelled on RCCL, but we have great memories and we'll have a wonderful time! So...in our case, the decision was both itinerary and price based.

Jewel is a great ship....older like M class...nice amenities., cozy and probably nicer for smaller ports.

Reflection is our least fav S class ship due to size, layout and crowded in some areas..

Royal food & service in dining rm will not compare favorably to X but if you are not a foodies it will suffice. Music and shows usually better on Royal. Not sure if they still have a piano player.

All comes down to price, port time and personal taste.

I've held off responding because I have been on RCCL recently and done Western Med on RCCL, but I haven't been on Celebrity in such a long time that I can't comment on any of the current ships.

BUT, I would offer this. Europe can be so sightseeing and port intensive that it really may not matter what the amenities are on the ship OR could be the most important thing to you - only you can answer that question.

When we did west Med on RCCL, we had never been to Europe at all (it was our 20th wedding annversary) and we were determined to SEE EVERYTHING. It was funny, about half the pax were American and about half were European, and about day 5 of this cruise you could pick them out - the relaxed, slightly tanned/sunburned people with pink drinks having a blast vs the pale, bleary-eyed folks holding Rick Steves guidebooks trying to figure out where the bar was because they hadn't spent enough waking hours onboard to know!

My point is how much sightseeing you want to do, what the ports are like in terms of distance from port to sights (Rome and Florence for example are a trek from port), so it makes for a much longer total day), whether or not you have been to any of these places before, etc, will have a big impact on time spent on ship and whether/which ship amenities have value for you.

When we took this 20th anniversary trip, price was a big consideration, but also our kids were school-age and RCCL had the only 7 day Med trip during our time frame, and we didn't want to use anymore vaca "on ourselves". If I was doing that trip now, and I could swing 10-12 days vaca, I would be more inclined to look at Celebrity because I think the activities on RCCL would be waste (too tired, too little time on board) but the quiet and pampering of Celebrity might have more value to recharge and get ready for the next round of sightseeing.

I think in the Caribbean the shipboard atmosphere is more important, in other words/

ROFL love your analogies:D Is there a Nordstrom?

Forget Nordstroms (although I love Nordstroms, drive to ATL at least once a year to hit the Anniversary Sale), which one is the "Needless Markup" - Neiman Marcus is the one I want to go on!?

I've held off responding because I have been on RCCL recently and done Western Med on RCCL, but I haven't been on Celebrity in such a long time that I can't comment on any of the current ships.

BUT, I would offer this. Europe can be so sightseeing and port intensive that it really may not matter what the amenities are on the ship OR could be the most important thing to you - only you can answer that question.

When we did west Med on RCCL, we had never been to Europe at all (it was our 20th wedding annversary) and we were determined to SEE EVERYTHING. It was funny, about half the pax were American and about half were European, and about day 5 of this cruise you could pick them out - the relaxed, slightly tanned/sunburned people with pink drinks having a blast vs the pale, bleary-eyed folks holding Rick Steves guidebooks trying to figure out where the bar was because they hadn't spent enough waking hours onboard to know!

My point is how much sightseeing you want to do, what the ports are like in terms of distance from port to sights (Rome and Florence for example are a trek from port), so it makes for a much longer total day), whether or not you have been to any of these places before, etc, will have a big impact on time spent on ship and whether/which ship amenities have value for you.

When we took this 20th anniversary trip, price was a big consideration, but also our kids were school-age and RCCL had the only 7 day Med trip during our time frame, and we didn't want to use anymore vaca "on ourselves". If I was doing that trip now, and I could swing 10-12 days vaca, I would be more inclined to look at Celebrity because I think the activities on RCCL would be waste (too tired, too little time on board) but the quiet and pampering of Celebrity might have more value to recharge and get ready for the next round of sightseeing.

I think in the Caribbean the shipboard atmosphere is more important, in other words/

A thoughtful post.

I think some people cruise for the ship experience and to relax, others to sight see and the ports. We are retired and can relax on the beach (we live on an island at coastal Georgia) or home, so we travel to see the World, with all its history, culture, people, food, and more. I may be worn out after a day of sightseeing, but it is a happy day with more memories than nursing a large flavored drink and sitting in the sun.

This last October -2017 - we did B3B o Jewel first 9 days was Greece - the ship just recently came out of dry dock and she was beautiful - Food was Awesome - show great - staff very friendly -

We cruise both RCL - D+ and we have done 3 Celebrity with 5 more booked on Celebrity and 5 on RCL and we enjoy both!

Celebrity is more pricey but goes to places that RCL no longer goes to like S. America and many Asia ports!

Forget Nordstroms (although I love Nordstroms, drive to ATL at least once a year to hit the Anniversary Sale), which one is the "Needless Markup" - Neiman Marcus is the one I want to go on!?

Funnily enough, I really dislike “Needless Markup”, so I probably wouldn’t enjoy the analogous cruise line;) I do wonder what it would be like to sail in the most posh suite on the most all-inclusive lines, but will probably never know. Just as well, since my fantasy looks like something from a between the wars ocean liner poster. Chanel suit, handmade Italian shoes, matching steamer trunks, porters:')

A thoughtful post.

I think some people cruise for the ship experience and to relax, others to sight see and the ports. We are retired and can relax on the beach (we live on an island at coastal Georgia) or home, so we travel to see the World, with all its history, culture, people, food, and more. I may be worn out after a day of sightseeing, but it is a happy day with more memories than nursing a large flavored drink and sitting in the sun.

I agree with both you and cangelmd that the OP’s European travel experience and priorities are important. BTW I wonder what happened to the OP! Regardless, as someone who has only cruised one line, I’m enjoying everyone’s posts. Everything is so subjective, so it’s wonderful to read so many opinions, especially when paired with a bit of the poster’s background.

DH and I fulfilled lifelong dreams when we scraped together enough United miles for RT tickets to LHR and enough vacation time and money for our 3.5 week honeymoon in England, Scotland and France. It was very much rucksacks, picnics, pubs & B&Bs as we traveled via train, coach and post bus on our very tight budget. It was wonderful, even though we had to march right past the posh restaurants in Paris & London! We took our first cruise to celebrate our 15th anniversary, and we headed straight to the Mediterranean. It was simply lovely! We dream of being able to do European b2bs bracketed by land trips as many on these boards do, so I’m collecting tips and data for the day after retirement lol.

Edited by Silkroad

• 3 weeks later...
We are planning a family/friends reunion for 2019...first choice for the Med was Celebrity. Unfortunately, the itinerary that we selected and was offered in 2017 and 2018 will not be available in 2019. Celebrity advised that they are moving several ships that typically sail in the Med to Norway that year. Then I looked at the new Celebrity Edge which has several sailings that year with a perfect itinerary for us...roundtrip Rome with five stops in Greece, a couple of sea days and a stop in Naples; unfortunately, it's very pricey for our group (double the fare for deluxe verandahs...with just two extra nights). So we will be doing RCCL Jewel of the Seas; and I'm sure it will be great! It's been a long time since any of us have travelled on RCCL, but we have great memories and we'll have a wonderful time! So...in our case, the decision was both itinerary and price based.

We have done all parts of the Med on RCCL, X and Princess. The Med is a port intensive cruise and, personally, I don't really think the difference between the lines on this itinerary are as measurable as some would have you believe. Eat, sleep, tour. Repeat.

Celebrity would be our choice because we've enjoyed our Celebrity cruises much more than we have our RCCL cruises! :)

Sent from my SM-T810 using Forums mobile app

OMG I can afford to hit Nordstrom when necessary, but Regent seems out of reach.

Watch Regent for repos like a TA. When you look at the price you need to realize that "EVERYTHING" is included. All drinks, all tours, tips, specialty restaurants and, best of all for old weary flyers, business class air. We have a TA booked this spring. It will probably be our first and last Regent cruise but the price, for what you get, was a deal. We've done two Viking Ocean Cruises in the last two months....our new favorite cruise line.

We cruised Reflection in the Caribbean last year. It is beautiful ship with an incredibly attentive crew. We still compare every room steward against our steward on Reflection (Maria!). However, many of our fellow passengers had some serious entitlement issues. It really became unpleasant. In the end of the best of cruises and the worst of cruises. We are still trying to decide whether we ever want to cruise on Celebrity again. On the other hand, we have never had a bad experience on Royale.

We cruised Reflection in the Caribbean last year. It is beautiful ship with an incredibly attentive crew. We still compare every room steward against our steward on Reflection (Maria!). However, many of our fellow passengers had some serious entitlement issues. It really became unpleasant. In the end of the best of cruises and the worst of cruises. We are still trying to decide whether we ever want to cruise on Celebrity again. On the other hand, we have never had a bad experience on Royale.

I’m sorry you had a bad experience on Reflection. I do wonder if you’d have better experience outside the holiday season, as the holidays seem to bring out the worst in some people. We had a wonderful cruise on Reflection last April. There were some rude or entitled PAX, as there are on any cruise, but they were in the minority. The crew was the absolute best we’ve encountered yet!

Watch Regent for repos like a TA. When you look at the price you need to realize that "EVERYTHING" is included. All drinks, all tours, tips, specialty restaurants and, best of all for old weary flyers, business class air. We have a TA booked this spring. It will probably be our first and last Regent cruise but the price, for what you get, was a deal. We've done two Viking Ocean Cruises in the last two months....our new favorite cruise line.

Thanks for the tip. I knew Regent was all inclusive, but didn’t realize that included business class air. I hope you have a wonderful experience on your TA. I’ve been looking at Viking. Which of their itineraries did you sail? Do you recommend a specific stateroom category?

Celebrity would be our choice because we've enjoyed our Celebrity cruises much more than we have our RCCL cruises! :)

Yes. Food in our subjective opinion of course has been magnitudes better on Celebrity. Being objective I would say Royal had better entertainment on the two cruises we took with them. All of the X ships we've sailed have been great. Legends of the Seas was the worst ship we've ever sailed on any line. When your water from the tap (not the toilet) smells like the sewer, you have a problem. We have not been on the Royal megaships so our experience is limited to the two we've been on.

RCL has a higher energy level and younger cruisers. More dancing, families with children, and liveliness on RCL.

Food is a little better on Celebrity. Expect to pay more on Celebrity. More elderly on Celebrity.

Holland is also more elderly. It is a better than Carnival/Walmart.

The kids or no kids is a big part of the difference certainly, as would be age of the vessel.

I would not overdo the kids or no kids part. August 2016 we did Celebrity to Alaska with our son, his wife & the two grandkids (7 & 10 at the time) and there were a fair amount of kids & they loved it.

They had a very excellent kids program, well supervised but gave the adults time for themselves.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have been on 28 cruises of which 11 were on Celebrity and 3 on Royal. For the last 5 years we have booked the smallest suite on Celebrity, category S2. Since 2015 Celebrity has been treating ALL of their suite guests in a special way. You eat your meals, except for lunch on port days at Lumanae, a restaurant for suite guests only. It doesn't matter how many cruises you have with the Line, you have to be in a suite to eat in this restaurant. It is substantially more intimate, not formal, and the menu is enormously better, yet shorter than the dining room. You feel like you are eating at a gourmet restaurant every day for almost every meal and you can order from the dining room menu as well. In addition you can enjoy a drink at Michael's club, which is an upscale lounge with a concierge for suite guests. This is an entirely new class of cruising where you do not feel like that many meals are like a cattle call. We are Diamond on Royal due to our combined Celebrity and Royal cruises. Royal does not come close to Celebrity. We have not been on Royal's monster ships yet, so I don't know what that experience is like. We are on the Allure in December of 18. We will find out. We are also on the Celebrity Edge the week before where they taken suite guest up a notch with a floor dedicated to suite guests.

This why RCL and Carnival have different lines with a different cruise experience at a different price point. Pick what suits you.

RCCL has more activities and energy. Celebrity has better service and food, with quite a bit older demographics. We consider RCCL the Target of cruising, and Celebrity the Macy's (Carnival is the WalMart).

We used to prefer RCCL more when we started cruising almost 30 years ago, but these days, the demographics on Celebrity have come to match our own. Funny how that happens.

I break down cruise co. like car companies: Carnival(Chevy Chevette)HAL(Oldsmobile)Princess(Pontiac)Cunard(Buick-Cadillac)RCCL(Ford Focus-Taurus)Celebrity(Mercury-Lincoln)Oceania(Mercedes)Crystal(Mercedes-Bentley)Sea Bourne(Lower end Mercedes)Sea Dream/Europa 1&2(Rolls Royce)