Why lack of roll call interest on Seabourn Cruises?

SoBaycruiser

I cannot explain how this evolved,"

Comically, the active Azamara board may have evolved out of the fact that before Azamara started including all alcohol on cruises, these get-togethers provided free cocktails for those attending, thus encouraging attendance. Once the all-inclusive policy was instituted, passengers were much less inclined to go. But the roll calls remain active and are a large part of pre-cruise planning for excursions. I have an Azamara cruise coming up in a week, followed by a Seabourn cruise and am very interested in the back to back comparison.

There are many facets of why cruisers would or would not bother with roll calls. I appreciate that other than group tour organisation some folk find it a pre cruise involvement which builds excitement.

Others put their TA in total charge or are more interested in the Cruiseline forums.

Cruisers who partake in rollcalls making assumptions as to how friendly one or other cruiseline passengers may be , is presumptuous. Particularly pre sailing on a the cruise line.

BTW I am a tolerant roll call participater and ex Azamara cruiser. It is a pleasure to say that every roll call I have ever participated has been friendly. A positive and accepting view makes for happy cruising.

Edited by koalapanda

I cannot explain how this evolved,"

Comically, the active Azamara board may have evolved out of the fact that before Azamara started including all alcohol on cruises, these get-togethers provided free cocktails for those attending, thus encouraging attendance. Once the all-inclusive policy was instituted, passengers were much less inclined to go. But the roll calls remain active and are a large part of pre-cruise planning for excursions. I have an Azamara cruise coming up in a week, followed by a Seabourn cruise and am very interested in the back to back comparison.

Hi Java Spot, I would love to read your thoughts on the two cruise lines. We have never sailed with Azamara and are taking our first Seabourn this July. Please let us know what your review is regarding the two lines. Thank you, Traveling Nonni.

Why did the Cruise Director not like CC and the rollcalls?

We didn't discuss rollcalls. However, I think he took exception to some of the criticism of Seabourn that you get on CC. It was some years ago and I don't remember the exact details.

I suspect the Azamara roll calls may be more active because those sailors are more interested in finding others to share the costs of private excursions than are Seabourn sailors. Just a thought!

Recently, as an independent solo cruiser, Azamara's roll call enabled me to meet minimum booking numbers for a superb cooking school in Bangkok, at a set charge per person. In Da Nang, I was able to arrange, on the shuttle bus en route, to share a taxi/uber, from Da Nang to Hoi An, with a Swiss couple I "knew" from the roll call. Being an active participant in the roll call, for my cruise, really enhanced my cruise.

Recently, as an independent solo cruiser, Azamara's roll call enabled me to meet minimum booking numbers for a superb cooking school in Bangkok, at a set charge per person. In Da Nang, I was able to arrange, on the shuttle bus en route, to share a taxi/uber, from Da Nang to Hoi An, with a Swiss couple I "knew" from the roll call. Being an active participant in the roll call, for my cruise, really enhanced my cruise.

That has been my experience also. I have had some great excursions for 4 or 6 or even 8 people that have been organized through CC. Personally I think a small group can be more fun than a private tour depending on the destination and activity.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We had four people on our roll call. One person organized a great sail afternoon in Martinique. We had several meals together during the cruise and became a jolly little group. Quality beats quantity.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm happy you had such a good experience. My point though is that many Seabourn sailors, myself included, prefer a private excursion to be just that, private. I do not want to have to consult four or six other people if I decide to change something and I don't want to have to jockey about who sits where on the van. jmo.

I’ve never had a “bad” roll call experience. I’ve met some great people via the roll calls. I’ve also, on a couple of occasions, figured out in advance which individuals I think I might want to actively avoid. ;)

You and me both ;)

I'm happy you had such a good experience. My point though is that many Seabourn sailors, myself included, prefer a private excursion to be just that, private. I do not want to have to consult four or six other people if I decide to change something and I don't want to have to jockey about who sits where on the van. jmo.
I understand your thoughts but , on the other hand you may miss out on meeting great people. We solve the van seating by suggest every stop people rotate seats, front to back, middle seat to front and so on, just advice for those of that like small groups tours. I am a military brat thus a people person. We do some private tours with my brother in-law and his wife.

I understand that some passengers like to do private tours, however, I don't do tours, private or otherwise. I want to be able to spend as long as I like at places, which interest me, skip lunch, if necessary, talk to locals one on one (even if we don't have a common language) I use roll calls to organise activities which require a minimum number, such as the cooking class in Bangkok which required min of 3 people, max of 10 people (3 people from our ship). With the shared luxury uber at Da Nang to Hui An (3 people), we only travelled to and fro together and did our own touring at Hui An. Fortunately, I find the research and planning almost as enjoyable as the doing.

I'd like to think that there would be passengers like both of us cruising on Seabourn. Maybe I'm wrong, as I haven't cruised with Seabourn.

In my experience Seabourn Cruisers who post either on roll calls or the general forum are most generous and kind with their information and research. They are extremely well travelled cruisers who like often to revisit Ports . Therefore they are not interested in the regular bucket list excursions. Many guests just wanting to do their own thing or friends travelling together who plan between themselves.

It is really all "horses for courses" and each of us have our preferences. Seabourn cruisers embrace it all, are friendly and welcoming. How lucky are we to enjoy beautiful ports on fabulous ships.