Who is NOT in a hurry on the last day?

Thank you for commenting on my question. I am the OP. I appreciate you sharing your experience, which I did not take as rude at all.:confused:

If it was helpful, then all the better.:)

Last day logistics are difficult, I certainly don’t envy people flying out after disembarcation. Ft Lauderdale airport isn't a friendly place to spend the day.

If I had an afternoon flight out, I’d probably use the cruise valet luggage service, then go down to Hollywood Beach Boardwalk and just hang out there. If it’s not a Sunday, I also might go hang out at the Ft Lauderdale Library.

You are supposed to vacate your cabin by 8:00. Don’t know why you think a JS has anything to do with that. Really rude to stay longer and inconvenience the room steward who needs to get that cabin turned over. Had you left earlier you could have had a nice breakfast in the MDR.

Actually yesterday's paperwork we received on the Liberty stated rooms had to be vacated by 9. I thought it seemed later than normal. We were off the ship by 830 though. Did self assist. If we would have waited it would have been after 10. Nothing to do but sit so no reason to wait.

The information provided is very specific, especially for novice cruisers. Along with your luggage tags you are told where to wait to be called for disembarkation. You are also provided a list of breakfast venues and times. If you received your luggage tags it's right there. Also similar information in final cruise compass. I don Know how RC could make it any clearer.

By staying in your cabin until 9:30 not only did you make it difficult for the steward, you are fortunate that your name wasn't being announced in an effort to find you as they tried "zero down" passenger count.

Hopefully if you cruise again you will read the paperwork

And not feel uninformed.

While I didn't save a copy of our Oasis Departure Letter, this is similar to what we received a week ago:

http://www.businesswebshop.com/fp/Oasis/Oasis-compass-depart.pdf

I could be blind as a bat, but I don't see where it specifically says what time the cabin needs to be vacated. In fact, it says "feel free to relax in your stateroom". Where is the "very specific" statement you're referring to?

Strangely, when we went to the Windjammer last Sunday at 8:00 a.m. for our last breakfast there were plenty of open tables. And this was on a cruise that they announced had 6,400 passengers. It was great.

We then rented a day room at the MCO Hyatt. The kids swam, we had lunch in the restaurant and relaxed in the room. It was $119 well spent.

Funny my thoughts are just the opposite from the OP.

Last day is usually my most relaxing day. Wake up as usual at 7+am. Make myself a coffee in the room. Then sit out in the balcony till 8.15. Then go to the WJ for breakfast. Usually sit around the bar area like the schooner for awhile. Sometimes the crowd has disappeared already and I would check out from the ship.

Now whether you have an early or late flight that is a different story.

For me here I hop on to the city train and I am home by 10.30 and reading the newspaper.

While I didn't save a copy of our Oasis Departure Letter, this is similar to what we received a week ago:

http://www.businesswebshop.com/fp/Oasis/Oasis-compass-depart.pdf

I could be blind as a bat, but I don't see where it specifically says what time the cabin needs to be vacated. In fact, it says "feel free to relax in your stateroom". Where is the "very specific" statement you're referring to?

Strangely, when we went to the Windjammer last Sunday at 8:00 a.m. for our last breakfast there were plenty of open tables. And this was on a cruise that they announced had 6,400 passengers. It was great.

We then rented a day room at the MCO Hyatt. The kids swam, we had lunch in the restaurant and relaxed in the room. It was $119 well spent.

Thank you for posting the ship's letter. That's the "very specific " statement I was referring to, and even though a specific time to vacate is not specifically mentioned, it does give specific debarkation information. Frequently ships/stewards do mention clearing your cabin early - or at least packing up and being ready; not still in bed to taking a shower at 8 or 8:30.

El Abuelo had indicated that RC should give more information to novice cruisers regarding debarkation. I was not trying to start an argument. I still feel the letter provided is about the best the cruiseline can do. It gives restaurant times, where to wait, etc.

Obviously my comments were not taken well, but they were truthful and I was trying to be helpful.

El Abuelo had indicated that RC should give more information to novice cruisers regarding debarkation. I was not trying to start an argument. I still feel the letter provided is about the best the cruiseline can do. It gives restaurant times, where to wait, etc.

No, I did not indicate that at all, only said I did't recall seeing it. Reminds me of an old boss who always used to say "never let facts get in the way of a good rant".

My conduct was entirely my responsibility. I do not blame RCI at all and understand their desire to get us off the ship as early as possible. I solemnly swear (right hand raised) that from this moment on I will carefully read (twice) every single thing RCI sends, emails, or leaves in the cabin, and even listen (by osmosis) to radio wave transmissions at night in the cabin.

I think everyone gets the point, probably a good idea to move on to more pressing matters. :)

No, I did not indicate that at all, only said I did't recall seeing it. Reminds me of an old boss who always used to say "never let facts get in the way of a good rant".

My conduct was entirely my responsibility. I do not blame RCI at all and understand their desire to get us off the ship as early as possible. I solemnly swear (right hand raised) that from this moment on I will carefully read (twice) every single thing RCI sends, emails, or leaves in the cabin, and even listen (by osmosis) to radio wave transmissions at night in the cabin.

I think everyone gets the point, probably a good idea to move on to more pressing matters. :)

Agree! Wish there was a like button! Good idea to move on. Best wishes and I truly hope you enjoy your next cruise. :)

On our first cruise we imagined a leisurely disembarkation, but it didn't work out as planned. The only breakfast option was WJ, We were pushed out of our JS around 9:30, the only place to go was the departure area on the Promonade, which was like a train station at rush hour, where we spent over an hour. By the time we got off the ship there was 1 1/4 hour backup in immigration and customs. Our adult children cruised with us, two left their cabins at 8 am with their families and were at the airport 45 minutes later.

Our next cruise we'll take an early disembarkation, drive home, shower, then go out and have brunch somewhere.

I always think, next cruise I'll chill out and not rush off the ship like I hated it or something, but always afraid of delays and prefer to remember the experience as it was the 7 days prior, they really DO seem to want you to go and it's awkward.

One Carnival cruise we left early and some friends stayed onboard and it was a customs nightmare, made the press, they were still on the ship at lunch.

Nothing is open except breakfast. You can sit around in one of the holding areas but seems pointless to me. We always carry our bags off and we drive to the port so we are never in a hurry. But i don’t see the point in sitting around on the ship when you can get off and go sit around at home. 🤷🏻*♀️

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We do the same, we get up early and grab breakfast and head off the ship, we just got off of Majesty on Dec 26th and I can assure you that there will not be much to do. The Windjammer is open earlier on that day to accommodate all of the people getting off the ship early. As @AmandaKaye79 has stated it just isn't that entertaining to be there, the Windjammer is packed, and it just isn't fun sitting around. We were off the ship by 0830 and on our way to the parking lot!:D

FWIW, maybe it varies from port to port as to what time they expect customs/immigration to be aboard? I distinctly remember several cruises being asked to leave cabins by 8, and others here mentioning later times, or no specific time at all. Could simply vary depending on the home port?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are supposed to vacate your cabin by 8:00. Don’t know why you think a JS has anything to do with that. Really rude to stay longer and inconvenience the room steward who needs to get that cabin turned over. Had you left earlier you could have had a nice breakfast in the MDR.

Not one cruise line says you are to vacate your room by 8:00 am. :rolleyes::rolleyes: Not one.... :confused::confused: heck I am not even up by 8:00 am in debark day.

You wouldn't like it if you were late boarding or your room wasn't ready because of stragglers on the previous cruise.

I don't think I would care,as long as I eventually get on and in my room, relax it's vacation.... we weren't able to get into our room our last cruise when we boarded, we didn't fret, we went and got something to eat. What is the hurry to get in the room??? once your on so what???

For those who are not in a rush to catch a flight, what is there to do on the last day? Are you required to sit in one of the "holding lounges" and wait to be called? I have no flight to catch, but if there is nothing available to do, I think I will do as I have previously, and line up early.

If you have no where to go and nothing to do it is fine to hang around the ship until they announce all luggage tags have been called and you are to proceed to the gangway. When that happens proceed to the gangway. At the end of many cruises there are people who think it is fun to hide and stay on the ship. These self involved losers are making thousands of people wait in the terminal to board because they are in no hurry to go anywhere. The cruise lines should keep track of these people and ban them for life after their second offense.

On Navigator we did self-disembark, got there around 7am and there was a long line. On Oasis we decided to just do regular disembark, we went to breakfast in WJ at 7am, left our cabin around 8am and went to the MDR to wait for our very late disembark number to be called and it was called by 8:30am. There were no lines to get off and no lines in customs by the time we got there 10 minutes later.

We did it for convenience rather than to kill some time. It was much easier for us, but as some has said it can be more difficult. You just never know.

Some people think they know everything about cruising.

You will learn that some of the loudest voices don't know squat...

Can you please do us the pleasure of pointing out who knows squat or not? We need your guidance. :evilsmile:

jc

We try to get breakfast, make a quick trip back to the cabin to use the bathroom and make one final check to make sure nothing has been left, head to our area and wait to be called. As you go down the halls, you will see the carts and the vacuums out and the stewards cleaning the rooms as they are vacated. They are waiting on you to vacate your cabin so they can start the process of getting it ready for the next passengers to board. As you cross the deck by the pool, you will see the crew, working frantically to pick up the coffee cups, clean the tables and you will see passengers sit down as they clean the table to have a leisurely cup of coffee...watching the crew cleaning all around you. Areas of the ship are roped off as the crew starts the process of making the ship sparkle for the next group of passengers...the ones replacing us, who will soon be dropping off their luggage in the cabin, standing on OUR balcony, sitting at OUR table on the pool deck, holding OUR menu to decide what to have for dinner and on and on. The morning of debarkation, it's like a bad break-up. It's just NOT a pleasant place to spend time. I just can't imagine "dragging your feet." It's like being at a restaurant after it closes and just sitting at the table chatting, asking for a refill and you know the staff is waiting on you to leave or a department store after it closes and you know the clerks are waiting on you to STOP touching the stuff and GO. I just don't get it.

We try to get breakfast, make a quick trip back to the cabin to use the bathroom and make one final check to make sure nothing has been left, head to our area and wait to be called. As you go down the halls, you will see the carts and the vacuums out and the stewards cleaning the rooms as they are vacated. They are waiting on you to vacate your cabin so they can start the process of getting it ready for the next passengers to board. As you cross the deck by the pool, you will see the crew, working frantically to pick up the coffee cups, clean the tables and you will see passengers sit down as they clean the table to have a leisurely cup of coffee...watching the crew cleaning all around you. Areas of the ship are roped off as the crew starts the process of making the ship sparkle for the next group of passengers...the ones replacing us, who will soon be dropping off their luggage in the cabin, standing on OUR balcony, sitting at OUR table on the pool deck, holding OUR menu to decide what to have for dinner and on and on. The morning of debarkation, it's like a bad break-up. It's just NOT a pleasant place to spend time. I just can't imagine "dragging your feet." It's like being at a restaurant after it closes and just sitting at the table chatting, asking for a refill and you know the staff is waiting on you to leave or a department store after it closes and you know the clerks are waiting on you to STOP touching the stuff and GO. I just don't get it.

We pretty much do the same thing, but we don't fly out the same day the cruise ends. We always fly out the following day so there is not so much stress in getting off the ship. We go to where we are supposed to go and pull out our books (now Kindles) and read until they call our number. I have been in the middle of the pack and at the end of the pack. Nice part about being among the last to leave the ship is that it is easier to find one's luggage ;):D.

Just off the Jewel on Sunday. Had to be out of the room by 8:00 AM and off the ship by 10:00 AM. Breakfast in the MDR closed by 9 AM and the Windjammer closed at 10 AM.

Good to know!!! We will be on her next week. This will be the first time, we are not running for the airport. We are spending the night in SJU to celebrate my 60th birthday and watch the Super Bowl with my toes in the sand!!!

Just off the Jewel on Sunday. Had to be out of the room by 8:00 AM and off the ship by 10:00 AM. Breakfast in the MDR closed by 9 AM and the Windjammer closed at 10 AM.

I think that the times are reasonable. You know the staff has to turn everything over for a new group that is excited to get onboard. You know that you were excited and wanted everything perfect and ready for you. To me, it is a courtesy to the staff and oncoming passengers. We will go to our hotel and hang by the pool until our rooms are ready. Blue skies and calm seas!!!

The morning of debarkation, it's like a bad break-up. It's just NOT a pleasant place to spend time. I just can't imagine "dragging your feet." It's like being at a restaurant after it closes and just sitting at the table chatting, asking for a refill and you know the staff is waiting on you to leave or a department store after it closes and you know the clerks are waiting on you to STOP touching the stuff and GO. I just don't get it.

Made me smile!

We have friends who made use of the package over here (UK) to stop on board until 2pm or 3pm and said pretty much the same.

Not a nice experience, you were in the way everywhere apparently until people boarded and then it was just horrible mixing with people all fresh and excited. His exact words "like seeing your ex partner having fun with their new partner".

A clean early exit off the ship is the only way I think.

Not one cruise line says you are to vacate your room by 8:00 am. :rolleyes::rolleyes: Not one.... :confused::confused: heck I am not even up by 8:00 am in debark day.

Wrong - cruised 4 weeks ago specifically told by CD and compass to be out of cabin by 8 am sharp!