Meet & Mingle Advise

Northumberland

We'll be cruising in about 6-7 weeks and were looking for a M&G in our roll call. The cruise line leaves up to the roll call members to arrange it and the ship provides a location. Turned out nobody had arranged anything. So, I decided to arrange one and have so far secured a location and time and am tracking members that have committed to show up. I've only been to one other M&G and it was hosted by the ships crew. I keep reading about planning activities, but not sure what that would be besides just meeting people and chatting.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Contact the cruise line and see if they have some logo gifts that could be distributed, Things like caps, keyrings, highlighters, etc.

Actually, I did ask my contact if the provided any souvenirs of any kind and was told no.

However, I did go to my city hall and they provided lapel pins for me to hand out as a souvenir of my home town.

It's not much, but I guess it's something of a momento.

Actually, I did ask my contact if the provided any souvenirs of any kind and was told no.

However, I did go to my city hall and they provided lapel pins for me to hand out as a souvenir of my home town.

Other activities we've seen are cabin crawls, slot pulls, hometown gift exchanges.

Don't know which cruise line you're on.

If it's premium or luxury, doubtful anyone will want to trade trinkets.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Be sure to provide name tags, either blank or filled in at home from the list of attendees you're gathering. I'd include actual names, Cruise Critic screen name, and home town, state, country, etc.

I was actually going to suggest that everyone attending print them at home from the Meet & Mingle site above.

I've already done that and put them in plastic sleeves to hanger from a lanyard for myself.

However, it's probably a good idea to print some blanks in case.

I was actually going to suggest that everyone attending print them at home from the Meet & Mingle site above.

I've already done that and put them in plastic sleeves to hanger from a lanyard for myself.

However, it's probably a good idea to print some blanks in case.

I would bet you'd have very few people print out or provide their own name tags. Not everybody has adhesive labels at home for printing, or wear lanyards. Every gathering I've ever been to, the name tags have been provided.

...but not sure what that would be besides just meeting people and chatting.... Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You've asked for advice and here is mine: sometimes, it's not necessary to "plan anything". There is absolutely nothing wrong with people just meeting and chatting - it's what you do at a meet and greet/meet and mingle. Personally, I feel a gift exchange is a bit more (OK, a lot of!) pressure, and the gifts can range in price so much that someone may inevitably feel "cheated". ;)

The name tags are a good idea - I would go with the blank adhesive ones from a dollar store, and take your own felt pens (you can read them more easily than regular pen). Where is it going to be held? If you want to just let it be loose and easy, maybe move it to a bar or lounge where people can come and go if they want and no one is "in charge" of someone else's good time.

I'm not trying to be a negative Nancy... just offering a few suggestions.

Have a great cruise. :D

You've asked for advice and here is mine: sometimes, it's not necessary to "plan anything". There is absolutely nothing wrong with people just meeting and chatting - it's what you do at a meet and greet/meet and mingle.

Agree. Succeeding activities can then be discussed and organized that are catered to the interest of those present.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You've asked for advice and here is mine: sometimes, it's not necessary to "plan anything". There is absolutely nothing wrong with people just meeting and chatting - it's what you do at a meet and greet/meet and mingle. Personally, I feel a gift exchange is a bit more (OK, a lot of!) pressure, and the gifts can range in price so much that someone may inevitably feel "cheated". ;)

The name tags are a good idea - I would go with the blank adhesive ones from a dollar store, and take your own felt pens (you can read them more easily than regular pen). Where is it going to be held? If you want to just let it be loose and easy, maybe move it to a bar or lounge where people can come and go if they want and no one is "in charge" of someone else's good time.

I'm not trying to be a negative Nancy... just offering a few suggestions.

Have a great cruise. :D

Thank you very much for putting this into perspective. I was starting to wonder what I was getting myself into, but you kind of brought this back to reality.

I appreciate your input. :)

On my NLC aound the Horn, it was just Introduce yourself and then chat.We all wrote down our cabin numbers and names on a list that went around and then the organizer set up a few more get togethers. She just put the place and date and time and the cruiseline sent the memos around to the cabins with the daily schedule. We met a couple of times for lunch and for drinks in a particular location. Not everyone came to each one of course but it was great on a 14 day cruise to meet up every so often and chat. We went on an excursion with one couple we met this way too.

Depending on the cruiseline, officers might show up and introduce themselves, and answer some questions. I personally enjoy that aspect of a M&M/M&G.

I only have experience on 2 lines. On NCL, which ever officers are available will show up on their own. On Princess, invitations to each officer needs to be handed out, and some, or none, will show up.

I think having arranged the M&G is enough, leave it up to the others to plan anything else that they feel should be organised. One piece of advice is don't let it become the focal point for private shore excursions (sign up and payment), the cruise lines hate that.

I think having arranged the M&G is enough, leave it up to the others to plan anything else that they feel should be organised. One piece of advice is don't let it become the focal point for private shore excursions (sign up and payment), the cruise lines hate that.

I appreciate your advise. I don't want this to become a job. It is a holiday after all. Just a nice way for people to meet and share experiences and maybe make new friendships.

You already did the hard part. Do bring name tags & a marker. If I get a commitment from people in advance, I might pre print some name tags but that is about as far I as I will go.

If you like the cabin crawl, the slot pulls & all that other stuff, you WANT to get involved to organize one go ahead but don't feel obligated. If somebody else really wanted one, they'd volunteer. On the threads I have been on, I have been vocal about not doing the gift exchange BS because I don't want to buy a trinket for a stranger & I really don't want whatever piece of junk somebody bought me. I'd rather just chat & decide if we'll be friends or just CC acquaintances.

We'll be cruising in about 6-7 weeks and were looking for a M&G in our roll call. The cruise line leaves up to the roll call members to arrange it and the ship provides a location. Turned out nobody had arranged anything. So, I decided to arrange one and have so far secured a location and time and am tracking members that have committed to show up. I've only been to one other M&G and it was hosted by the ships crew. I keep reading about planning activities, but not sure what that would be besides just meeting people and chatting.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

There is one activity that you could suggest on your roll call. A scavenger hunt on a specific day at sea. Decide on a meeting place to start from. Have those wanting to participate form teams of two to four. Have each team come up with a name for their team. Make a list of "X" number of things to find (maybe 20 - 25?). They could be things like a pen with the ship's name on it, an excursion information sheet from the excursions desk (for example), or a smart phone photo of something (or some crew member) on the ship. Set a time limit (maybe an hour?), and whichever team has the most items gets a prize. You don't have to tell them ahead of time what that prize is. Keep it simple but nice. Maybe magnets or key rings (from the gift shop) with the ship's name on them, or whatever you choose.