Just Off Navigator Yesterday - Advise Needed

Our family got off Navigator of the Seas yesterday and there was a situation on-board that we're just not really sure how to handle.

On Embarkation day, my nephew who turned 2 on this cruise was in his cabin with his parents and started asking to eat. My SIL and BIL told him that they were about to go eat. What they did not realize at that point was that he had found 2 pills from a previous cruiser. As they turned around, they saw him swallow one of the pills and they were able to get the second pill away from him. They immediately rushed him to medical where the doctor and team could not identify either of the pills so, they gave him some charcoal and said that if he did not use the restroom in a few days or he started vomiting to come back to medical. The charcoal played with his system all night with his stomach hurting and him not feeling good. Wednesday morning comes and he is still not feeling like himself and he has not used the potty so, they took him back to medical and they gave him a suppository. They did not have one for kids so, they broke it in half for him. We went out to Cozumel and after a short time he used the bathroom and had a little bit of fun in the pool and ocean and seemed to be feeling a bit better. Later that evening or the next morning, he started not feeling himself again and they took him back to medical because he should have pooped more than once. They apologized and said that they accidentally gave him the adult dosing of the charcoal and gave him another suppository.

Once this issue was brought to the cabin steward he was so sorry as he has kids and said he even called his wife to tell her. Royal Management on the other hand has been less than satisfactory. An investigation was in the process of being conducted and all we know is that no more pills were found in the vacuum cleaner. Requests to have a member of management meet with my SIL and BIL was never setup as promised. They were offered $500 off their next cruise, but I'm not sure if they took it or not.

On Monday, they are going to consult with his regular doctor and they have the second pill so, hopefully it can be tested to see which drug it is.

This is very serious, we have no clue if he will have any lasting effects from this incident. What's fair in this situation? This same situation could happen in a hotel and would the the exceptions be the same? What would you do in this situation?

Our family got off Navigator of the Seas yesterday and there was a situation on-board that we're just not really sure how to handle.

On Embarkation day, my nephew who turned 2 on this cruise was in his cabin with his parents and started asking to eat. My SIL and BIL told him that they were about to go eat. What they did not realize at that point was that he had found 2 pills from a previous cruiser. As they turned around, they saw him swallow one of the pills and they were able to get the second pill away from him. They immediately rushed him to medical where the doctor and team could not identify either of the pills so, they gave him some charcoal and said that if he did not use the restroom in a few days or he started vomiting to come back to medical. The charcoal played with his system all night with his stomach hurting and him not feeling good. Wednesday morning comes and he is still not feeling like himself and he has not used the potty so, they took him back to medical and they gave him a suppository. They did not have one for kids so, they broke it in half for him. We went out to Cozumel and after a short time he used the bathroom and had a little bit of fun in the pool and ocean and seemed to be feeling a bit better. Later that evening or the next morning, he started not feeling himself again and they took him back to medical because he should have pooped more than once. They apologized and said that they accidentally gave him the adult dosing of the charcoal and gave him another suppository.

Once this issue was brought to the cabin steward he was so sorry as he has kids and said he even called his wife to tell her. Royal Management on the other hand has been less than satisfactory. An investigation was in the process of being conducted and all we know is that no more pills were found in the vacuum cleaner. Requests to have a member of management meet with my SIL and BIL was never setup as promised. They were offered $500 off their next cruise, but I'm not sure if they took it or not.

On Monday, they are going to consult with his regular doctor and they have the second pill so, hopefully it can be tested to see which drug it is.

This is very serious, we have no clue if he will have any lasting effects from this incident. What's fair in this situation? This same situation could happen in a hotel and would the the exceptions be the same? What would you do in this situation?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That sounds scary, I’m sorry that happened. If it had been in a hotel, I would have rushed my child to the emergency room. And checked out of the hotel the next day, after speaking with management.

In your situation, I probably would have gone to see an emergency doctor in Cozumel and not gone to the beach. I’m kind of surprised that the ship doctor didn’t do anything more than give some charcoal though.

This must have been a very scary situation for the parents and the rest of their party.

How serious this is / was totally depends on the actually kind of pill it was. It could have been some strong drug, but it could be as well something harmless like some coffee sweetener or a mint.

Whatever it was, it would have made the little guy sick by now (a week after the incident).

I´m not quite sure what you expect and where you see a fault with the cruiseline. If in a Hotel room / cruise ship cabin, you can´t expect there not being something as small as a tiny pill on the floor, maybe tucked in a corner to be missed when the place was cleaned.

I´m not trying to blame the parents here, as I see no real blame with them either - sometimes stuff simply happens - but if you´d want to blame someone, I´d say they are as much to blame for not watching their kiddo closely enough.

The only problem I see at all would be the adult dose of charcoal given by the dr. How much of a problem that caused would have to be examined.

To answer your question about what I had done on the ship / in a Hotel. On a ship I would have gone to the medical facility as they did and in a Hotel I would have visited the nexr dr. / ER available and would then have followed the instructions given by medical. In both scenarios that would have been it. It wouldn´t even have croseed my mind to talk to management of the ship / hotel about this and certainly wouldn´t have expected anything from them.

I'm sorry that this happened and I'm sure it was a scary time.

IMO, if they are truly worried about potential side effects from the pill, they shouldn't be waiting until Monday to see a physician. Any competent emergency room staff could use the above mentioned online resources to identify the remaining pill and determine if any further action needs to be taken. Any cost involved would be outweighed by gaining peace of mind.

Personally, I doubt there is any further danger to the child. Whatever it was is likely long gone from his system.

I can't see how the cruise line can be blamed for this. It could happen at home, in Walmart, anywhere really. I know my two year old grand can spot something and have it in his mouth before I even realize what's happening. I hope if I were in this situation I'd be able to just be grateful things turned out ok and chalk it up to "life happens".

Huge hugs. That must have been so scary. Not sure about the responsibility of the cruise line, though I would definitely not be happy about the adult dose of charcoal. I would have expected to have had a partial refund on the cruise you just left as that could have made enough him poorly for longer, but I've never heard of anything like this.

Persoanlly I would want to know the outcome of the investigation before taking anything further, though I would be more concerned about the charcoal and the lack of medical supplies for children than the pills being there in the first place, I agree with others about having the child seen sooner rather than later. Chances are whatever it was is out of their system by now but better safe than sorry. Hope everything is ok.

This is very serious.What if the pill was something severe like Vicodin or another strong antibiotic Or even worse an illicit drug. Its hard enough to unpack a child let alone you checking on the floor for pills or other hazerdous materials.

The medical center should have been more proactive. I would have your Nephew's Parents email Michael Bayley and let his team deal with it. You should not be responsible for any medical bills and some more FCC.

As it happened at sea you are at the mercy of Mariti.e Law and if you were to file a lawsuit you would need a Maritime Lawyer and proof of negligance with photos and Doctor Statements.

I am sorry this happened!

Sorry this happened. Do those online pill identifiers identify OTC supplements or vitamins.

The $500 compensation is a joke because its probably not combinable with their sales so their usual BOGO or 50% off sales would probably be a better deal on a future cruise. They should have given $500 back from this cruise. Who is to say they ever want to sail with royal again.

The management team refusing to meet with them is sad. There is no excuse for that. Management hiding like a bunch of wussies.

I don't think its anyone's fault. Sometimes bad things happen. I hope he comes out of this ok.

But i think royal should have refunded $500 on this cruise as a good will gesture for having your vacation partially ruined and management or the captain should have met with them immediately.

Sorry this happened. Do those online pill identifiers identify OTC supplements or vitamins.

The $500 compensation is a joke because its probably not combinable with their sales so their usual BOGO or 50% off sales would probably be a better deal on a future cruise. They should have given $500 back from this cruise. Who is to say they ever want to sail with royal again.

The management team refusing to meet with them is sad. There is no excuse for that. Management hiding like a bunch of wussies.

I don't think its anyone's fault. Sometimes bad things happen. I hope he comes out of this ok.

But i think royal should have refunded $500 on this cruise as a good will gesture for having your vacation partially ruined and management or the captain should have met with them immediately.

This is not true. That FCC can be applied to any cruise. It does not affect anything else on your booking.

This is not true. That FCC can be applied to any cruise. It does not affect anything else on your booking.

Gotcha. They should still take it off the current sailing. What if they never want to take another cruise again after this.

The only thing I would suggest is that the FCC be applied at the last possible minute. I think I read here that someone applied their FCC early, and then, when there was a subsequent price drop, they couldn't get it because they the price drop was not lower than the cost of the cruise with the discount already applied.

I would stop posting and seek professional legal advice