Koningsdam in March - only 75% sold

jennymaxgirl

Chatted with the Holland America rep this morning and she informed me that my Spring Break sailing, 10-nt Southern Carib, is only 75% sold out. I am new to Holland and I find this so surprising. Having sailed with Princess and RC in the past, the ships were always sold out or very close to sold out. Especially over Spring Break, I assumed it would sell out. Is this the norm for Holland? As a side note, I will be very pleased if it remains 75% sold.....less bodies on board.

Thank you

Jennymax... As long-time cruiser, mostly with HAL, I've found HAL has reputation as nearly the oldest clientele, and I agree. Definitely NOT a Spring-break crowd cruiseline. I'd certainly not suggest to my Grandchildren they attempt a HAL voyage for wild fun in the Sun.

Has this cruise hit final payment yet? The prices should come down to fill the ship. Very few cruise ships go out with vacant cabins, especially on shorter itineraries. I agree that some of our long itineraries were not full, but those were priced without as much of a discount to cover that. m--

I would book 11-nt cruise in March if it wasn't Koningsdam.

We want this itinearary so much. But the ship is disappointing. We don't go because of the ship.

10-nt cruise itinerary includes Amber Cove - another reason for not to go.

Disappointing ship in which ways? What were you expecting.

KONINGSDAM for the March28th Transatlantic is SOLD OUT for some categories. I got last of our choice. KONINGSDAM has both it's detractors and it's 5-star raver Reviews I notice. Seems the 1st year it was food organization issues, now it's more centered on Cabin Toilet size and no Deck Loungers or Library etc etc. 5-star Reviews like it's spiffiness and such. Hmmm. I'll report back after our Transatlantic.

I would book 11-nt cruise in March if it wasn't Koningsdam.

We want this itinearary so much. But the ship is disappointing. We don't go because of the ship.

10-nt cruise itinerary includes Amber Cove - another reason for not to go.

That's funny. For us the Koningsdam is the reason to sail with HAL instead of Celebrity.

I sail HAL exclusively and I would never sail the Koningsdam. No real promenade deck and no deck chairs is a deal breaker for me. We’re booked on the Rotterdam for three weeks in February and I am so looking forward to it. I really enjoy the older smaller ships.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I sail HAL exclusively and I would never sail the Koningsdam. No real promenade deck and no deck chairs is a deal breaker for me. We’re booked on the Rotterdam for three weeks in February and I am so looking forward to it. I really enjoy the older smaller ships.

No deck chairs? Why no deck chairs?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I also was one that liked the smaller ships. However, we spent 21 days on the Koningsdam in December and got to quite like her. It's good there are choices so everyone can decide which ship/itinerary they prefer.

The Zuiderdam has been my favorite ship. Love the size...love the decor. But we decided to book a cruise this past Christmas on the K-dam. One friend said they liked it but would go back to the older ships. Another friend said once you sail the K-dam you will be totally spoiled. A little confusion...right?

We boarded the ship totally open to what we might find. First words upon boarding - WOW!! The ship has a totally different vibe and we loved it. We didn't find it too big. There were numerous music venues. We found the food to be great. And we booked our annual Thanksgiving cruise for 2018 on the K-dam.

Go with an open mind and I think you will love it!

Helen

NA

Improvement needed:

1. Open deck bypass for Lido buffet (access from midship to the stern without going through the buffet)

2. Viewing deck above the bridge (wasted space on Eurodam & NA)

3. Expand Queen's Lounge

Note: Viking Cruises demonstrated how to do #1 and #2

Do not touch:

1. Best Thermal suite at sea.

2. Classic promenade deck

3. Serenity sun deck above Tamarind

4. Library

What was done on Koningsdam:

1. Buffet bypass - not done

2. Viewing deck not done

3. Queen's Lounge expanded (good job)

From "Do not Touch" list:

1. Thermal suite spoiled

2. Classic promenade gone

3. Serenity deck gone

4. Library gone

500 passengers added.

Half of the experience lost.

Product dropped from near 5* to 4* at best.

Just curious.... because it's not clear.... are you basing this on your experience or have you formed an opinion in some other way?

NA

Improvement needed:

1. Open deck bypass for Lido buffet (access from midship to the stern without going through the buffet)

2. Viewing deck above the bridge (wasted space on Eurodam & NA)

3. Expand Queen's Lounge

Note: Viking Cruises demonstrated how to do #1 and #2

Do not touch:

1. Best Thermal suite at sea.

2. Classic promenade deck

3. Serenity sun deck above Tamarind

4. Library

What was done on Koningsdam:

1. Buffet bypass - not done

2. Viewing deck not done

3. Queen's Lounge expanded (good job)

From "Do not Touch" list:

1. Thermal suite spoiled

2. Classic promenade gone

3. Serenity deck gone

4. Library gone

500 passengers added.

Half of the experience lost.

Product dropped from near 5* to 4* at best.

Thanks for the detail - gives a much better picture of what you experienced. The art and science, let alone the economics, of ship design are fascinating. Plus honoring the Goldilocks factor that always comes into these decisions.

The reason there are no deck chairs on the promenade deck is that the deck is too narrow to add lounge chairs. The sea view is obstructed by the life boast anyway, new design with the life boats lower, more like deck level, I think according to new SOLAS requirements. The narrowness might be to favor size of the public spaces on that deck, not sure why the design change. The old style ships have staterooms on the deck with the life boats, now the life boat deck is public rooms. m--

Ditto for us. The lack of these features and others will keep us off this ship in the future.

*le sigh* I feel sorry for HAL..they try something new and all the diehards poop on it.

It's funny because originally we were booked on the NA but it was chartered so HAL offered us options and we chose to try the Koningsdam. Figured why not but I was skeptical, thinking I wouldn't like it. It took a couple of days but both my husband and I did end up liking it. We are glad we tried it.

Our KIDS say they will never, ever sail without the Waterslide, Rock climbing Wall, raucus Dancefloor scene, and indoor shopping arcade ambiance. They don't book HAL, Obviously. I am constantly reminded times are changing beneath my feet and I'm OK with that.