Passports and a few random questions

Chickenlover8

I have heard this and heard it about them going to your room to get your passport. Even John has said it, but I have seen many pier runners that have made it at just the last minute, and I have never seen them collect anything before boarding.

Now I don't know if the people I have seen nearly miss the ship did not have passports in the first place or if they were collected and given back after they got on the ship. I have sold never seen anything being handed back to someone before the ship leaves, so for me, I am not so sure that actually happens.

If the pier runners were able to just walk on board, the passports may not yet have been sent to the agent, or security could not find them (maybe because the pier runners had them)... or perhaps they were not yet so late that they needed to search the room for passports.

In the case of people who actually missed the ship, all the videos I have seen were taken from the ship, which is moving away, so you really cannot tell if the poor souls who missed the ship got their passport from the agent or not.

I think there was one video taken of a tour group that came back after their ship left, and it was taken from a different ship at the dock, but it was still pretty far away to tell if the port agent was helping the stranded passengers.

Take a photo of your passport with your phone and keep it on your phone. Not every port you visit will have a Consulate or Embassy so having an electronic copy you can send by phone could help you out if you lose it.

You may need your passport if:

1. You miss the ship and are in a foreign country.

2. You are kicked off the ship in a foreign country.

3. You are detained by authorities in a foreign country.

4. The ship has issues and you have to disembark in a foreign country.

5. You need to leave the ship in a foreign country for medical or emergency at home reasons.

6. You are not happy, invoke the Vacation guarantee clause and get off the ship in a foreign country.

7. You miss the ship at the start of the cruise and need to fly to a foreign country to get on-board.

Edited by CHOPPERTESTER

you DO need a passport for the cruise, but most ports of call will not require you to bring your passport ashore. once aboard you can store it in the room safe

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Sorry Bradley, if it’s a closed loop itinerary and OP is a US citizen, passport not required

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

you DO need a passport for the cruise,

But you DON’T. A closed loop cruise to a Caribbean port doesn’t require a passport. About 50% of the annual passenger count through Galveston sails without one.

It remains a good idea, we’d both agree on that, but it’s not required.

You are going to get lots of opinions on this: but I never take my passport off the ship. I have a copy of it on my phone and I take my drivers license. Of course, I have never had a problem with missing the ship but I always take special care to get back on time.

But you DON’T. A closed loop cruise to a Caribbean port doesn’t require a passport. About 50% of the annual passenger count through Galveston sails without one.

It remains a good idea, we’d both agree on that, but it’s not required.

There are a couple of countries in the Caribbean that DO require a passport regardless of if it's a cruise or not. We did a HAL that ported at Puerto Limon, Costa Rica. We received at least 3 emails from HAL stating that without a passport we could not even board the ship for the cruise.

There are a couple of countries in the Caribbean that DO require a passport regardless of if it's a cruise or not. We did a HAL that ported at Puerto Limon, Costa Rica. We received at least 3 emails from HAL stating that without a passport we could not even board the ship for the cruise.

Your posting on a Carnival thread that doesn’t serve that port.

Your posting on a Carnival thread that doesn’t serve that port.

It was stated above that on a closed circle Caribbean cruise NO ports required a passport - my point was that it's true for most but not all countries in the Caribbean. If someone were to book with another line that is something they would need to be aware of.

Indeed, all of the Carnival cruises to/through the Panama Canal stop in Limon, as far as I can tell. I didn't see any of the Western Carib itineraries that went there, though.

And those cruises are not closed loop cruises, either.