Passports and a few random questions

Chickenlover8

Very interesting! I will leave passports in safe, and bring my driver's license...but what about my daughter? Does a student ID work?

If your daughter is under 16 she doesn't need a photo ID and if she is 16 or older than the student ID should work (or a learners permit with her photo on it).

Actually the copy of the passport isn't proof of citizenship either. They say that it makes the process easier, but the previous poster was correct that they can find a traveler's information in their database relatively easily.

Correct. We were in the airport last week talking to couple who the husband managed to lose his passport at the airport in Atlanta. They had a copy but still had to pay for expedited background and processing fees. About $500.

I don't think a photocopy of a passport would help you any more than a driver's license at the US embassy if your original passport is in your cabin.

If you look at the link provided (https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/emergencies/lost-stolen-passport-abroad.html) it says "lost or stolen" not "sitting in your cabin".....

Actually the copy of the passport isn't proof of citizenship either. They say that it makes the process easier, but the previous poster was correct that they can find a traveler's information in their database relatively easily.

I didn't say it was proof. I said it was evidence. Which is what it is called on the Dept. of State site, please refer to the link I posted.

I don't think a photocopy of a passport would help you any more than a driver's license at the US embassy if your original passport is in your cabin.

If you look at the link provided (https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/emergencies/lost-stolen-passport-abroad.html) it says "lost or stolen" not "sitting in your cabin".....

The photocopy, to me at least, is just a guarantee that I have all the info correct, not that I expect to use the actual photocopy as a passport.

And "being in your cabin where you can't get to it because the ship has departed" may as well be "lost". People lose passports all the time and then find them again, so I doubt this is too far outside the wheelhouse of getting a replacement ASAP.

You're welcome to think whatever you like on the subject. You stated that it was silly and "doesn't work that way."

I provided you a link to the authority on the subject stating that they recommend you have a photo copy.

Did you read the link. It says right in it that for purposes of replacing your passport you can use a photocopy of your passport to prove citizenship.

8d696981744afb5650f7502cbd008698.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The idea of using a photocopy of your passport is silly. The whole point of the passport is it is THE world recognized premier identification. A copy is nothing. Why not just leave your passport at home and travel with a copy of it? Lets see you get on a plane with a copy.....

AFA "it helps officials if you are stranded" argument. Nah, that's not the way it works. Go to any US Embassy with a photo ID and provide your SSN. They can find you in their system in seconds. Do you really think they would say "Well, if f you had a copy of your passport, you'd be on your way right now..., but since all you have is your driver's license, this will take a while...."

It was never intended or stated that I would try to get on a plane with a copy of my passport - which is safely locked in my ship cabin safe. If I had to fly home in an emergency I'd be getting my real passport from the ship. I personally feel more secure with the copy in my day bag and the original in the safe meanwhile carrying my driver's license and ship card on my person. It can't hurt to be able to verify an existing passport number if one needed to contact the embassy somewhere.

In Europe we do carry our passports on our person - in the Caribbean (where with one or 2 exceptions) a passport is not a requirement it's really no big deal is it?

Correct. We were in the airport last week talking to couple who the husband managed to lose his passport at the airport in Atlanta. They had a copy but still had to pay for expedited background and processing fees. About $500.

This is why a passport is 1000% better than carrying a photocopy. It will save you $500 in case you are stranded in a foreign port. For all practical purposes a copy of a passport is worthless. The example cited is in Atlanta, anyone think it would be less expensive in Belize City?

you DO need a passport for the cruise, but most ports of call will not require you to bring your passport ashore. once aboard you can store it in the room safe

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

If the OP is a us citizen on a closed look Caribbean cruise they don’t need a passport.

For real? I always thought the passport was required at embarkation and upon reentering the country?[emoji23] We've even had to go through customs on board the cruise upon returning to Key West after visiting other Caribbean ports. This was despite having departed from a US port and final destination in that same US port.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

For real? I always thought the passport was required at embarkation and upon reentering the country?[emoji23] We've even had to go through customs on board the cruise upon returning to Key West after visiting other Caribbean ports. This was despite having departed from a US port and final destination in that same US port.

Proof of identity and citizenship is required at embarkation and upon reentering the country. But there are several ways that proof may be provided. If you have a passport, that's the quickest and simplest way to go. But as far as US customs and border protection is concerned, any WHTI-compliant travel document may be used. Some cruise lines may have rules that are more strict than the US governments, though, so some may require you present a passport to board the ship.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/western-hemisphere-travel-initiative

Another option, which does cost additional money but might be worth it to others as a backup, is to have a "backup" or secondary proof of citizenship that comes in a credit card-sized format. I live in Washington State and its Department of Licensing issues Enhanced driver license and ID cards to US citizens. It's mostly for crossing the border into Canada without being required to carry a passport but it also serves as proof of citizenship when entering the United States. Another option is the US passport card, which functions the same as an EID/EDL but any US citizen can get one, not just someone who lives in a state that issues "enhanced" cards.

A third choice is to join a so-called Trusted Traveler Program, like Global Entry ($100), SENTRI ($122, must live in a state that borders Mexico), or NEXUS ($50, must live in a state that borders Canada and be admissible to Canada). All three issue cards that are valid proof of citizenship and, unlike the passport card or EID/EDL, can be used in place of a passport to fly into the United States. (That said, if you are really stuck, the US consulate in the country where you missed your ship can get you a travel document or a letter authorizing an airline to carry you to the US without a passport and having another proof of citizenship greatly smooths this process.)

If you don't travel very much, the passport card is the cheapest and it's a useful form of picture ID elsewhere. I highly recommend at least getting it. Regardless of which you choose, you can leave your passport in the safe onboard and just carry a simple card with you.

Global entry is NOT the same as a passport. It is used in conjunction with your passport for expedited entry into the United States.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

First of all don’t “miss the ship” ! Just make sure you are on board and make your way to the pier about an hour before sailing time. I think your extension cord will be confiscated. Fire hazard.

Global entry is NOT the same as a passport. It is used in conjunction with your passport for expedited entry into the United States.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Your passport is required to use the Global Entry kiosks, but the Global Entry card alone is all you need to enter the US by land or sea. Technically acceptable by air as well, but you would have to convince the airline to let you fly and then be processed manually by an agent upon arrival in the US.

Edited by cmich068

Definitely! You can print your own 24 hours before your flight, or check in at one of the stations inside the airport before the TSA checkpoint.

Those are boarding passes.

Actual paper tickets are extremely rare now-a-days, since the e-ticketing system (which just relies on proper ID) was introduced.

One correction- you do not have to live in a US-Canadian border state to have a NEXUS card. All interviews are only conducted at the border, but you can live anywhere in the US or Canada as long as you are willing to travel for the interview. I live in Illinois- we traveled to Detroit for our interview.

My first cruise leaves in 35 days. I was wondering when you need your passport? Do you take it with you when you get off in the different ports? If not, is there a safe in the room?

Also, I know to bring an extension cord of some sort to plug in extra phones. We use a fan for noise...is there a desk or something next to an inside stateroom bed to place a fan on?

Anything you can recommend for first time advice? It's just me and my 13 yo daughter :)

We went on a Celebrity cruise a few months ago. I packed an extension cord, it was confiscated. I had to retrieve my luggage from first deck, long after DH got his.

Extension cord was returned at the end of the

cruise.

My first cruise leaves in 35 days. I was wondering when you need your passport? Do you take it with you when you get off in the different ports? If not, is there a safe in the room?

Also, I know to bring an extension cord of some sort to plug in extra phones. We use a fan for noise...is there a desk or something next to an inside stateroom bed to place a fan on?

Anything you can recommend for first time advice? It's just me and my 13 yo daughter :)

There is a European style outlet in the cabin also next to the other outlet (usually around the vanity). You can purchase an adapter that will let your phone plug be plugged into that outlet. You don't need a power converter since your phone charger will work with that voltage.