Are passengers really stealing pool towels?

kyriecat

.........I just bring my own towel. Problem solved. lol

Prior to seeing this thread, I was actually considering bringing my own bath towel anyway. I like using a bath sheet, and I find that hotel towels are rarely large enough to make me happy. after seeing this I suggested to my husband that maybe we should bring our own beach towels as well!:D:D

My answer to a ridiculous policy like this is to not get a towel. I'll get out of the pool and walk back to my cabin and shower there. If a crew member asks why i tracked water throughout the length of the ship I'll refer them to their policy. ;p;p

I had a notice today that all pool towels must be checked in by 10 PM on the second to last night of the cruise or we would be charged $25 per towel. I didn't realize they had changed the towel policy. When I was on Liberty in June, they had to be turned in by the last night.

My husband and I borrowed two towels for our snorkeling tour. We made it back with just enough time to shower and change before we went to a show and dinner. Because we were in a rush, I was negligent and didn't read through the various papers the steward had left while we were ashore. After dinner we stopped by the cabin and I found the notice. Fortunately is was 20 minutes until 10 so I was able to turn the towels in before the deadline. I had planned to take them in the morning.

I asked the towel attendant about the change and was told it was due to so many people keeping towels and he had received several complaints. I went by guest services to complain that I wasn't informed about the new deadline for turning towels in. I was again told that too many people weren't turning in their towels so they are charging for them on the second to last day to encoursge people to turn in towels. I was told if I had waited until tomorrow to turn them in, I would have been charged, but if I brought proof that I returned them, they would remove the charge. I can only imagine how long the guest services line will be with people upset about towel charges tomorrow.

Since tomorrow is a sea day, I asked what to do about towels. I was told that to avoid a towel charge, I should wait until I need a towel to get one then use it and immediately turn it in. If I keep it more than 2 hours on the last day, I will be charged.

I don't know how many towels are lost/stolen on each cruise, but it seems like a waste of effort and cause for aggrevation over a few towels.

As long as they do not make you actually sign a slip for the towels....it is all fake smoke and mirrors....:p

No signature - no charge.

I'm not going to use valuable packing space with bringing my own towel, nor do I plan to bring home a sand covered towel. We once had a balcony that was getting showered with sand and we looked up to see that the cabin above us had a beach towel they had brought from home, clamped to their railing and it was caked in wet sand they were trying to get rid of while the ship was sailing. I'm sure we weren't the only ones getting "dumped on." If you want to bring your towels from home, bring a big trash bag and stuff it into it as you enter the ship instead of leaving a trail of sand throughout the ship and dumping your sand on others. I can deal with getting a charge removed if it shows up.

The only reason I cruise is to steal towels. It's party of who I am...I just can't stop it.

I have even started cruising in suites so I can get a better class of towels.

Anyone can spend a few bucks on Amazon to get a nice towel, but for me, knowing I spent thousands just makes them more special.

I think the better idea would be to give you a pool towel for each person in your room at the start of the cruise. Can still trade them for dry ones and so on, but leave them in the room at the end. I think would give most people the hint that they need to have them back at the end of the cruise.

Royal use to put towels in your room, can't remember it was just for Labadee/CoCo Cay or all port days. But that was yrs ago...

I find the policy irritating. But I would never dream of leaving a towel on the beach either...not bringing my own. What do you do with a wet sandy towel in your room?

I would make noise if I was asked to return towels before the last evening. On a sea day I want a towel for the lounger even if I don’t get wet. I don’t like laying on other people’s sweat. If that’s a new policy then I’d just have to bring a white towel from the room. I would return it of course and ask the room steward for more, just saying.

And it amazes me what people will steal.

I can’t remember which Caribbean island it was but I was on some sort of scuba/snorkel tour and the guides were “extremely helpful” in offering to take all the towels back to the ship for us. I actually joked with him and said that this island must be loaded with the same blue towels. He did admit that this was true.

That’s a common scam. Many locals on the islands want the ship towels.

Hope he actually took them back to the ship !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I find the policy irritating. But I would never dream of leaving a towel on the beach either...not bringing my own. What do you do with a wet sandy towel in your room?

I would make noise if I was asked to return towels before the last evening. On a sea day I want a towel for the lounger even if I don’t get wet. I don’t like laying on other people’s sweat. If that’s a new policy then I’d just have to bring a white towel from the room. I would return it of course and ask the room steward for more, just saying.

And it amazes me what people will steal.

Shake the sand off from the towels at the beach, roll or fold them up. Put them in the shower with your used/wet cabin bath towels before leaving your cabin that evening. The cabin attendant will take it from there.

As long as they do not make you actually sign a slip for the towels....it is all fake smoke and mirrors....:p

No signature - no charge.

On our meed cruise we had to hand over our sea pass to get towels, sea pass was swiped again when they were returned.

We were in Antigua with another cruise line ship, they had yellow towels. When we left the beach there were numerous yellow towels adorning empty bed and chairs.

Why would anyone in their right mind waste their luggage space for a cruise ship towel!!! I did, however, once during an open house open a closest to a batch of cruise ship towels. From different cruise ships. It was so funny we actually took a picture and this was while touring a $3.0 million dollar home. Different perks for different folks.

Why would anyone in their right mind waste their luggage space for a cruise ship towel!!! I did, however, once during an open house open a closest to a batch of cruise ship towels. From different cruise ships. It was so funny we actually took a picture and this was while touring a $3.0 million dollar home. Different perks for different folks.

Some people like momentoes from every hotel,ship etc they have been at or on.

We have never took anything including toiletries from anywhere because we are particular about toiletries and have plenty of towels of our own.

We just sailed on the Oasis and my whole group thought this policy was dumb and penny-pinching. Royal just got a ton of our money for our big family to sail. We aren’t going to take the stupid blue towels home. But at first we turned a couple in without checking them in because the kids didn’t know about the dumb policy.

If this policy change is in fact true it is one of the dumbest thing RCI has dreamed up lately.

What is stupid is watching a couple of staff walk up a beach with arms full of towels that passengers have left behind because they couldn’t be bothered bring them back to the ship. Not to mention the number of wet towels I saw dumped in hallways all over the ship.

Like every change of this sort the blame lies solely with inconsiderate lazy passengers.

What is stupid is watching a couple of staff walk up a beach with arms full of towels that passengers have left behind because they couldn’t be bothered bring them back to the ship. Not to mention the number of wet towels I saw dumped in hallways all over the ship.

Like every change of this sort the blame lies solely with inconsiderate lazy passengers.

I have not witnessed this but I'm sure it happens so the charge for unreturned towels like the instances you mentioned are justified.

As I already said and will say one more time, I am not against checking out towels. It is STUPID to have to turn them in on the next to last night. And that is especially true when the last day is a sea day.

As I already said and will say one more time, I am not against checking out towels. It is STUPID to have to turn them in on the next to last night. And that is especially true when the last day is a sea day.

I totally agree.

The penultimate day is often a sea day and the busiest day for towels and i cannot understand why towel returns should be a problem.