This forum is costing me too much (future) money!

ProgRockCruiser

I have got to stay away from here...

My tale of going down the rabbit hole too many times:

Last week I was browsing here, and someone mentioned the Elation for one reason or another. I had sailed on her back in 2007, but I don't have much memories of that cruise (time fades things, I was in a different relationship, etc). So I decided to check her out, curious about what has changed after the upgrades etc. Ah, that's right, I remember this and that a bit now...

And then someone else mentioned getting an OV room for their cruise (not on Elation, IIRC). While thinking about OV rooms as an option, I recalled that Elation had more OV rooms (ratio wise) than the larger ships, such as Liberty that we enjoyed in December and are going on again this March. When booking the March cruise on Liberty, I had completely not considered the OV rooms, because I like to be higher up in the ship - we booked interiors on Deck 7, because Balconies would just be cost-prohibitive in this case.

Anyway, while looking at the deckplan for Elation, I was wondering which rooms had the "floor to ceiling window" scenic ocean view or whatever it was called. I couldn't find one immediately, then I got distracted, and forgot about it.

And then I was pondering whether it was likely we would take any cruises next year - we have two booked this year already (as mentioned March, and another in Dec - see sig). I thought that it might be nice to book something in a slightly warmer month, maybe May, but in the timeframe when kids are still in school (I had noticed that fares were cheaper in April/May for 2018 while looking at other possibilities prior to booking in March). So I put in a search for Port Canaveral - May 2019. One of the options was a 5-day on Elation - oh, that's right, she's sailing out of Canaveral starting about then, moving from JAX.

Hey, let's do a ghost booking, just for fun (you might see where this is going...):

Select Oceanview, let's see what available...oh hey, there's an option to grab a Scenic Ocean View, last one in fact, let's check that out...ooh, it's on the very top deck that has cabins, with a neat forward-looking view! Carnival doesn't show a floor plan, but it looks a bit bigger than normal. And floor-to-ceiling window! Hmm, cost is a bit more than a regular OV, but a lot less than a balcony, which we probably don't need on a 5-day. Hmm, ok, will keep that in mind, but I won't book anything yet. Click "Cancel booking" etc.

Next day, I was discussing the Scenic OV type cabin with my wife, and went to go show her the possible available booking in May 2019. Oh, that cabin isn't available any more, wow, that got booked fast! OK, so we discussed that next time we see something, we should probably go ahead and grab it right away, especially if it is the last cabin of the type we want. And then I showed her some images of that room type found here on CC, I think, or maybe one of the other cruise line room-review sites. She liked the idea of having a big window, especially since that walkway-looking area in front isn't open to general use, looks like for service access only.

So just now I'm poking around again doing some ghost booking for entertainment, and I wonder what OVs are actually available on that Elation cruise in May 2019. So I have a look...WHAT?! That Scenic OV is still available?! Someone must have done a courtesy hold on it, then released it.

I asked my wife to come have a look...checked that the dates didn't seem to interfere with any known or likely plans (we have other activities that generally mean we are booked for social or side-job type stuff at least two weekends a month for at least the next year).

So, for $100 down, I can book this now. Not gonna bother with trip insurance - if we can't go, it will very likely be due to something that arises before the final payment is due, and trip insurance would be a comparable cost to that $100 deposit! (With Carnival, it was $79 pp, IIRC, so $158).

So...I have three future cruises booked now, on three different ships!

As an aside, as I mentioned the Elation deck plan on Carnival's website shows that the room I booked (G1) is a bit bigger than the average, but no floor plan of the cabin is available to view. The usual cruise related websites don't have good photos of the actual cabin. I'll poke around here, but if anyone has a handy link, I'd appreciate it!

Your story is why the cruise lines love Cruise Critic. Get people talking which sparks interest which results in bookings.

You obviously haven't been swayed by the perpetual attempts of those such as riclop and havingfun2010 to dissuade you from booking.

Enjoy your cruises!

I have got to stay away from here...

My tale of going down the rabbit hole too many times:

Last week I was browsing here, and someone mentioned the Elation for one reason or another. I had sailed on her back in 2007, but I don't have much memories of that cruise (time fades things, I was in a different relationship, etc). So I decided to check her out, curious about what has changed after the upgrades etc. Ah, that's right, I remember this and that a bit now...

And then someone else mentioned getting an OV room for their cruise (not on Elation, IIRC). While thinking about OV rooms as an option, I recalled that Elation had more OV rooms (ratio wise) than the larger ships, such as Liberty that we enjoyed in December and are going on again this March. When booking the March cruise on Liberty, I had completely not considered the OV rooms, because I like to be higher up in the ship - we booked interiors on Deck 7, because Balconies would just be cost-prohibitive in this case.

Anyway, while looking at the deckplan for Elation, I was wondering which rooms had the "floor to ceiling window" scenic ocean view or whatever it was called. I couldn't find one immediately, then I got distracted, and forgot about it.

And then I was pondering whether it was likely we would take any cruises next year - we have two booked this year already (as mentioned March, and another in Dec - see sig). I thought that it might be nice to book something in a slightly warmer month, maybe May, but in the timeframe when kids are still in school (I had noticed that fares were cheaper in April/May for 2018 while looking at other possibilities prior to booking in March). So I put in a search for Port Canaveral - May 2019. One of the options was a 5-day on Elation - oh, that's right, she's sailing out of Canaveral starting about then, moving from JAX.

Hey, let's do a ghost booking, just for fun (you might see where this is going...):

Select Oceanview, let's see what available...oh hey, there's an option to grab a Scenic Ocean View, last one in fact, let's check that out...ooh, it's on the very top deck that has cabins, with a neat forward-looking view! Carnival doesn't show a floor plan, but it looks a bit bigger than normal. And floor-to-ceiling window! Hmm, cost is a bit more than a regular OV, but a lot less than a balcony, which we probably don't need on a 5-day. Hmm, ok, will keep that in mind, but I won't book anything yet. Click "Cancel booking" etc.

Next day, I was discussing the Scenic OV type cabin with my wife, and went to go show her the possible available booking in May 2019. Oh, that cabin isn't available any more, wow, that got booked fast! OK, so we discussed that next time we see something, we should probably go ahead and grab it right away, especially if it is the last cabin of the type we want. And then I showed her some images of that room type found here on CC, I think, or maybe one of the other cruise line room-review sites. She liked the idea of having a big window, especially since that walkway-looking area in front isn't open to general use, looks like for service access only.

So just now I'm poking around again doing some ghost booking for entertainment, and I wonder what OVs are actually available on that Elation cruise in May 2019. So I have a look...WHAT?! That Scenic OV is still available?! Someone must have done a courtesy hold on it, then released it.

I asked my wife to come have a look...checked that the dates didn't seem to interfere with any known or likely plans (we have other activities that generally mean we are booked for social or side-job type stuff at least two weekends a month for at least the next year).

So, for $100 down, I can book this now. Not gonna bother with trip insurance - if we can't go, it will very likely be due to something that arises before the final payment is due, and trip insurance would be a comparable cost to that $100 deposit! (With Carnival, it was $79 pp, IIRC, so $158).

So...I have three future cruises booked now, on three different ships!

As an aside, as I mentioned the Elation deck plan on Carnival's website shows that the room I booked (G1) is a bit bigger than the average, but no floor plan of the cabin is available to view. The usual cruise related websites don't have good photos of the actual cabin. I'll poke around here, but if anyone has a handy link, I'd appreciate it!

You lucky! I just booked one and I have been thinking well it’s not till next year so I need one sooner too. So I am thinking of booking another one and I like the big window you mentioned and I never herd of that one before so I’m going to go look into it lol I agree this forum can be bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hey, I found a couple of YouTube videos that show the cabin. Can't link them right now due to, uh, a firewall, though. Watched them on my phone. One has other stuff featured as well, like the drive to the Port, but has a good section on the cabin, the other is just a quick scan around. Probably more. Search for "carnival elation cabin g1".

My wife would agree, I am constantly trying to talk her into the next cruise while she tries to talk me out of the next cruise. She sighs when she sees how many threads I am subscribed to when she opens the email. Scenic ocean view is on my bucket list. Always gone by the time I book.

Edited by asalligo

Well, while I like color, I can't say I am the King of Crimson, although Carnival interiors do have a lot of Red to them.

And I'll be in a Rush to check out the art gallery, hope they aren't Moving Pictures all over the place when I visit, otherwise I may have to display Grace Under Pressure.

Anyway...this should be an interesting cruise, since we have already been on the Liberty, and will be on the Sunshine before then, so the Elation will be quite a bit more, um, "cozy". Will be interesting to see if the Gatsby Bar (or wherever martinis are likely to be found) holds a candle to Alchemy or not.

Congratulations! This type of room is on my bucket list. I’m slowly working my way through different types. Have a Cove and an aft balcony booked right now

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm doing the same thing. So far junior suite (my sister booked and I sent her money as she requested it,) aft-extended balcony, midship deck 9 balcony and cove balcony. Currently booked in a spa interior and a scenic ocean view.

Favorite so far is a cove.

I find I am a happier person if I have a cruise booked.

I am at least happier when I have a cruise booked, reminds me why I go to work each day.

Congrats, we were on the Elation in December, and sailing a 7 day on her in May 2018-HM, Grand Turk and Amber Cove. I do still want one of those cabins, but heads up, it takes a long time to get an elevator up there.

...but heads up, it takes a long time to get an elevator up there.

Yeah, I am aware of that, and that shouldn't be a problem usually - we like to take stairs if only a few decks up or down. Getting carry-on to the room and then disembarking will be the long-ish wait time, so we may leave luggage outside on last night and try to keep out carry on to just backpacks as a result, to allow us to be more mobile on stairs.

This is great therapy. I’m constantly talking my husband into booking a cruise or a land vacation. I’m happier after I succeeded. You guys and gals make me feel normal :D I spend a lot of time lurking around here. We have one this year and I just booked another one for May 2019. I normally book 8-10 months out. May 2019 is the farthest one, which means that I’m improving :D

I have four cruises booked ....three with Carnival, one with NCL. I’m not sure what is more fun, the planning or the actual trip.

Oh, I am quite certain that "per minute of experience" the trip is by far more fun! But the trip only lasts a few days to a week, whereas the planning can last for over a year, so integrating "rate of fun" over the two different periods to give a "total fun", assuming same initial constant, may lead to an interesting comparison!

Hmm, more studies needed. I volunteer to partake!