Two people found dead Harmony Of the Seas

Via TMZ:

""Storm Chaser" star Joel Taylor died from a suspected overdose on a cruise ship ... this according to passengers on the boat.

Passengers on the Royal Caribbean Cruise Line Harmony of the Seas tell TMZ ... drugs on the party boat were plentiful, and they say 38-year-old Taylor was partaking."

Oh wow. Just read about him (that he died but no cause or location mentioned). No idea that it was same as Harmony story. Very sad.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

No real point. I've dealt with a lot of overdoses, heard every possible reason for how it happened, and maybe just a little too jaded tonight.

It sounds like there are a couple of us on this thread who know a little too much about all of this stuff, but I'm sorry for your proximity to it, and I hope your night improves. :/

Obviously this goes down a big old rabbit hole of substance issues. alcohol is okay despite being hugely destructive and potentially fatal, marijuana is not okay, except maybe it's starting to be okay? don't know, don't care for either one myself. But I was 21 at the height of early rave culture, and I know how dumb I was. And we didn't have nearly as many "designer" substances to contend with.

I guess I don't really have a point, either. :/

The news media, most of which has never really been a big fan of the cruise industry, is already starting to run this into the ground.

I don't even want to post the headline of this article.

Theron

Friends and family of mine who are veteran gay cruisers are already trying to distance themselves from Atlantis cruises. And it doesn't surprise them that it occured on an Atlantis event.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

I'm not sure what vacuum someone could grow up in that they could get to age 21 and have no idea about the danger of drugs.

One that watches the Grammys and the Oscars, and thinks isn't that cool, I want to be famous. So, instead of doing things, they obsess and take drugs that make them feel awesome. Which is almost exactly the same as being awesome.

I feel very sad for the lose of these people. It is terrible that people have to repeat the past over and over again without learning from it.

John Belushi, Tom Petty, Jimmy Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Keith Moon, Nick Drake, Kurt Cobain, ..... etc. etc. etc.

JC <---- feels very sad to see people with potential throw it away.

I didn't know this particular celebrity but his death is sad all the same. I don't think anyone on this thread needs to have a point to post. I've felt comfort reading all the posts. It sucks when a momentary lapse in judgment leads to death. I also hate that 'rampant drug use' seems to get linked to a gay cruise here. It's really any party cruise that has drug issues.

Of course there is zero tolerance. But until we know exactly what happened and what the cause of death was, it is too early to point fingers.

Where I work, we are overrun by the opioid epidemic. A dose the size of three grains of salt can kill you. Fentanyl has no taste, and no odour. It is easily mixed with drugs both legal and illegal.

Also, I think it is unfair to associate deaths like that with any particular group as far as sexual orientation. Perhaps saying drugs such as this are prevalent in a party atmosphere would be acceptable but this issue knows no boundries and does not discriminate based on gender, orientation, or status.

This is sad but preventable.

The news media, most of which has never really been a big fan of the cruise industry, is already starting to run this into the ground.

I don't even want to post the headline of this article.

Theron

Ugh, so what they are saying is that everything should stop because a few made some really, really stupid decisions? That is not how life works - at all!

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Ugh, so what they are saying is that everything should stop because a few made some really, really stupid decisions? That is not how life works - at all!

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

To be fair, Daily Mail is a tabloid. (Sorry if I'm stating the obvious.) Really, we've mostly only seen tabloid coverage so far.

Well, there is the "danger" of drugs that are completely overblown and then there are the dangers that are real. For instance if you listen to Jeff Sessions marijuana is just as dangerous as heroin. Things like that send mixed messages and cause people to misunderstand the dangers of some drugs. A lot of stories are about dangerous things cut with drugs to increase the supply (or increase the high). So, people tend to think "legal" drugs are safer and GHB does have actual therapeutic uses. He may have been drinking a lot before hand and people sometimes do stupid things while drunk, just Google "Hold my beer, watch this".

Most illegal drugs are just as safe as a large number of legal drugs assuming they are created properly, not cut with adulterants, used in the correct dosage, and not mixing with other substances that can cause adverse reactions. The problem is this is almost never the case. The purity and dosage is almost never known and the "recreational" levels taken are much higher than the "safe" dosage levels. But this knowledge can easily give people a false sense of security.

such an excellent post merits repeating

I apologize if anyone got offended by my posts yesterday.

I did not intend to cause offense, nor did I try to link drugs with being gay because that is not the case. What I was meaning was that there are several ignorant and homophobic people out there who may use this as a way to justify their bigoted beliefs. It is not right, but unfortunately it does happen.

http://people.com/tv/joel-taylor-confirmed-dead-royal-caribbean-cruise-ship-puerto-rico/

Had no idea Joel died on Harmony. So sad for his family to have to travel to Puerto Rico.

May be RCCL needs to rethink these Atlantis charters.

Can you tell me what Atlantis they are talking about. Is it the resort in the Bahamas or some other hotel? Thanks

Can you tell me what Atlantis they are talking about. Is it the resort in the Bahamas or some other hotel? Thanks

Neither. Atlantis Events is a company that charters cruise ships (and all inclusive resorts) for gay themed vacations. Their vacations are a huge party atmosphere and known for very raunchy behaviors.

So I live a rather sheltered life but the "drugs on the party boat were plentiful" caught my attention. Is this really the case on the average cruise? When we got on a week long family cruise is there an abundance of cocaine and such floating around? It's never crossed my mind before. That said, we go from evening show to our room to get our young daughter to bed so haven't really even seen any 'party' scenes on our cruises so drugs just seems out of place for the long dinners and theatre shows that we know the ship for!

I had heard that the entire ship had been chartered by this group. I have went on a "normal" HOS cruise, and drugs were not plentiful (or I'm completely oblivious :))

Edited by vacationlover_mn

I had heard that the entire ship had been chartered by this group. I have went on a "normal" HOS cruise, and drugs were not plentiful (or I'm completely oblivious :))

I was on allure in 2016 and the coast guard boarded off the coast of florida. We were out on the balcony and white powder was being thrown into the water from above us. Can only assume it was drugs.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Forums mobile app

I apologize if anyone got offended by my posts yesterday.

I did not intend to cause offense, nor did I try to link drugs with being gay because that is not the case. What I was meaning was that there are several ignorant and homophobic people out there who may use this as a way to justify their bigoted beliefs. It is not right, but unfortunately it does happen.

I read your post and completely understood your wording...no need to apologize to those that jump to conclusions or misunderstood.

Happy healthy life and travels to you.

This is a simple case trying to become complicated by all sorts of advocates and critics.

Just a person who made a terribly bad decision that cost him his life....period...end of story, nothing to do with cruising, one's gender or sexual preference or any misconceptions about any drug. It happens.

Sad.........