Beware “Taxi” from Manhattan Cruise Ship Terminal

bonnyweed

I had a pretty unpleasant experience with disembarking from the NCL Breakaway in NYC last week. My elderly mom and I had been standing in the cold for a long time and were disheartened with the long line forming for taxis.

Well, lucky us, [ha!] a taxi driver walked up to us and asked our destination, and said he had his cab ready to go just one street over.

Once my Mom and I were in the car, very quickly the driver started driving. We were going to Port Authority Bus Terminal which is at most a $20 fare.

After we had gone less than a block, the driver said our fare would be “$55 plus tip”. I immediately said no and to use the meter.

Then my stupidity really caught up with me. There was no meter, no taxi license, no taxi signs. I immediately said that I would not be paying anything close to $55. He insisted on 55. I said, “Let us out now!” He would NOT let us out. We demanded several times to let us out of the car and he would not do so. Very creepy.

At Port Authority, I gave him $30 and said it was generous. It got ugly quickly and he was insisting on more money. I told him I would gladly talk to the police and, in fact, I would prefer it. A BIG, burly male observed our distress and came over and helped.

So, please have more common sense than we did.

There are signs at the airports and at Penn Station warning not to take offers from drivers wandering around. Unfortunately not at the cruise port I guess. When he wouldn’t let you and your mom out of the cab, you probably should have threatened to call 911. The world seems to be full of dishonest people. On Monday someone stole my really nice umbrella from the doctor’s waiting room. I’m still angry. Thank goodness you got away with no real damage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bonny

We were on the same cruise and we did join that 'long' line waiting for a taxi to go to Penn station. As like you, we were approached several times by men, saying that they are private taxi's and will take us where ever we wanted to go, obviously for more than a regular taxi will cost. We live on Long Island and one guy said he would take us there for $200. We laughed.

The line moved very quickly and we got into a taxi in about 15 minutes, but, I can definitely see people who are in a rush, letting this 'gypsies' take them where they want to go for a much higher fee. Sorry for your bad experience, but in NY you have to be wary of everyone and know exactly want you are getting into.

Cheers

Len

Definitely it was a dumb move on our part. Just goes to prove that being cold and tired can contribute to making really bad decisions. We should have agreed upon the price before getting in. He should have let us out of the vehicle when we told him to do so. I was angry. Sadly, my mom was terrified.

Definitely it was a dumb move on our part. Just goes to prove that being cold and tired can contribute to making really bad decisions. We should have agreed upon the price before getting in. He should have let us out of the vehicle when we told him to do so. I was angry. Sadly, my mom was terrified.

This was a gypsy (i.e. unlicensed/unregulated) driver. What makes you think that if you'd agreed on a price, he wouldn't have suddenly "forgotten" what he agreed to, or "realized" the price would be higher for whatever made-up reason? When it comes to what you should have done, I'd venture to say it was not get in a gypsy cab at all.

This was a gypsy (i.e. unlicensed/unregulated) driver. What makes you think that if you'd agreed on a price, he wouldn't have suddenly "forgotten" what he agreed to, or "realized" the price would be higher for whatever made-up reason? When it comes to what you should have done, I'd venture to say it was not get in a gypsy cab at all.

Exactly. There have been numerous cases where passenger’s luggage has been held hostage until they paid up.

The law in NYC is no driver solicitation period. Only yellow medallion cabs can look for rides. All others must be ordered by passenger.

But I can understand being vulnerable and unsuspecting because you’re an honest person and wouldn’t even imagine someone being unscrupulous.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OP, so sorry that you got taken advantaged of. We always ignored them coming out of the MCT (and, even when we've flown home into JFK/LGA on trips). They work in groups, someone acting as lookout for the law & TLC inspectors & will solicit and walk alongside/beside you.

Did you actually get into a (real) yellow taxi with a meter, or, possibly a green taxi parked nearby ?? or, a black car/sedan resembling a car service/limo ??

A LE friend of ours said once, call/dial 911 from your smartphone and quickly report a robbery in progress by a taxi/car service driver threatening, weapons unknown & being held hostage (i.e. a tire iron in the trunk are grounds for a valid complaint). GPS will display your location for the dispatch if you aren't sure where he/the vehicle is at - on city streets ... you will be amazed about how quick the NYPD will respond to the call.

Meanwhile, take his picture with the smartphone & the vehicle in question. We're following the BA's late return last week and realized that some of you were probably in a panic mode, on top of the weather - the taxi lines can be long but it does move, it's the loading of bags & luggage that often slow everyone down.

If you have any useful information & facts about the driver/taxi involved - please, do go to the NYC TLS website online and file an official complaint, don't let him get away with it as they don't just this it once - others will be ripped off until they get nailed by law enforcement.

There are signs at the airports and at Penn Station warning not to take offers from drivers wandering around. Unfortunately not at the cruise port I guess. When he wouldn’t let you and your mom out of the cab, you probably should have threatened to call 911. The world seems to be full of dishonest people. On Monday someone stole my really nice umbrella from the doctor’s waiting room. I’m still angry. Thank goodness you got away with no real damage.

I would not have threatened. I would have called 911 and reported that I was being kidnapped.

I agree it was stupidity on my part. Usually I am very wary. However I haven’t been in a US taxi for years. With Uber, Lyft, Taxis and others, it can be very confusing. Had I known what a “gypsy” was I would never have gotten in.

OP, so sorry that you got taken advantaged of. We always ignored them coming out of the MCT (and, even when we've flown home into JFK/LGA on trips). They work in groups, someone acting as lookout for the law & TLC inspectors & will solicit and walk alongside/beside you.

Did you actually get into a (real) yellow taxi with a meter, or, possibly a green taxi parked nearby ?? or, a black car/sedan resembling a car service/limo ??

A LE friend of ours said once, call/dial 911 from your smartphone and quickly report a robbery in progress by a taxi/car service driver threatening, weapons unknown & being held hostage (i.e. a tire iron in the trunk are grounds for a valid complaint). GPS will display your location for the dispatch if you aren't sure where he/the vehicle is at - on city streets ... you will be amazed about how quick the NYPD will respond to the call.

Meanwhile, take his picture with the smartphone & the vehicle in question. We're following the BA's late return last week and realized that some of you were probably in a panic mode, on top of the weather - the taxi lines can be long but it does move, it's the loading of bags & luggage that often slow everyone down.

If you have any useful information & facts about the driver/taxi involved - please, do go to the NYC TLS website online and file an official complaint, don't let him get away with it as they don't just this it once - others will be ripped off until they get nailed by law enforcement.

Thanks for the information. It is very helpful. When the driver refused to let us out of the car I was very upset. The car was in motion and I had said an emphatic no to the $55 and again told him to let us out.

I decided on a plan. He had all of our luggage in the trunk. As soon as he stopped I jumped out and grabbed the bags. When we physically had our bags, I gave him $30. When he continued to demand $55, I told him to call the police and we could sort it out. Of course, he had no interest in that.

He did put his hands on my large bag while we argued on the curb. It was then that the lovely BIG gentleman came along!

I wrote down the license plate number. It did not feel safe to take his picture while we were in the car, but I wish I thought of it afterward.

Lesson learned.

... I wrote down the license plate number. It did not feel safe to take his picture while we were in the car, but I wish I thought of it afterward. Lesson learned.
Was it a real yellow taxi or lookalike, or possible a green taxi or just car service a/k/a black car/limo ?? As long as you have the license plate written down & the time/date remembered, that is all - I encourage you to file an official complaint online - easily & quick - with NYC's TLC (Taxi & Limo Commission) - an inspector will contact you to followup during business hours on weekdays & take it from there, these crooks must not be allow to prey on unsuspecting visitors & cruisers ... already exhausted from the cruise with the storm.

Here's that link - http://www1.nyc.gov/nyc-resources/service/2465/car-service-limousine-or-ambulette-complaint

For a taxi complaint - https://www1.nyc.gov/apps/311universalintake/form.htm?serviceName=TLC+Taxi+Driver+Complaint+Passenger