How Many Cruises Do You Normally Take Per Year for Those Working & Retired

We usually try to take 2-3 a year. One being a week long cruise and the other one or two being 3/4 day cruises. We both work full time but our jobs aren't typical 5 day work week careers so we have quite a bit of flexibility for the most part in our schedules. We also both get a week of vacation a year (well I get 10 days starting in 2019) so that helps in our planning. We hope that when we do retire (in 30+ years ugh) that we can take the longer cruises, river cruises and lengthy land excursions such as touring Europe by rail. That's a long way off though...so who knows what will actually happen but we can dream and plan/hope for the best!!

Unfortunately still working LOL, my (mainly) solo travel is restricted to once a year due to budget, whether land or sea-based travel. 2017 was the exception to the rule with March Disney family cruise and Vegas birthday vacation in December. I am sailing solo for the first time on Adventure later in December and I'm really looking forward to this.

I am looking to book two more cruises in 2019, June Disney family Mediterranean cruise and December solo cruise on Harmony. Hopefully everything will work out!

We want to try a river cruise in near future. Do you recommend a cruise line for river cruising?

I suspect most are pretty good but we picked Viking several years ago and have stuck with them. They do a pretty good job and we've been on 5 of them so far in Europe and China (twice). Have not done their Ocean cruises yet.

Working he allows me one a year then we do one land based vaca. 5 more years to retirement and am hoping he allows me at least 2 a year but that will depend on how our pension, 401k and ss pays out any more the pension plan always seems to be in trouble so not sure how that will play out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Forums mobile app

We want to try a river cruise in near future. Do you recommend a cruise line for river cruising?

We like Vantage. There is a river cruise board where you can get more info--pros and cons of each company.

We are both still working. DH can retire in another 9 years but I am 15 years from retiring. We average two cruises per year (we have been known to squeeeeeeeeeze in a third!) plus a couple of short getaways. One we stop working though, I am sure cruising will go into overload! We are within a nine hour drive of all the Florida ports so that helps as well.

Both working with 23 to 25 days’ annual leave. Tend to spend half of that cruising, but like one cruise a year since the airfare out of NZ tends to be a significant part of the cost. Our first cruise many years ago cost about $1,500 for the cruise component plus $10,000 to get to the wharf return. Airfares are lower now but still it’s a major cost and as we’ve aged we’ve moved forward on the plane too...

I think until we retire we will be able to cruise once a year. So far our 5 cruises have been Eastern & Western Caribbean. I think my next few cruises will be Southern Caribbean, Bermuda, Hawaii, Alaska, and Europe. I have 14 night on Dec 7th 2018 on Reflection for ABC islands. For 2019 I need to decide between 7 night Escape to Bermuda in Haven or 12 Night Reflection to Europe in Aqua. Haven't decided on cruise for 2020.

Working - one a year, although this year we are doing two as we are chasing Diamond.....so close we can almost taste it.

We try and do one major holiday a year, i.e. International, and have sometimes managed to make this a stay Cruise combo.

Used to be 1X per year when we were working.

Now that we are retired, cruising has fallen in preference to only 1 cruise every 3 years or so. Cruising's constant cutbacks are not acceptable. Further, we have moved from the mass lines to Oceania and Viking.

We now allocate our travel $ mostly to land based trips with private guides/car which are entirely customized.

We can afford any travel option we wish and cruising no longer earns it being our go to option.

Both working. We are 41 & 43 from New Brunswick Canada and we both get 5 weeks vacation. We have been taking 3 a year lately. It would be more if we were closer to a port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Don't you wish you could just hop on when a ship docks in S-J.

We also find the cost/effort of getting to a departure port a pain

dp

Anyone here have animals they just don't feel comfortable leaving for extended periods for whatever reason? It's hard to board 12 dogs and lots of birds. I do cruise without my hubby but he can handle only so much for so long without being stressed.

I guess I could try 12 emotional support dogs. . . .

Anyone here have animals they just don't feel comfortable leaving for extended periods for whatever reason? It's hard to board 12 dogs and lots of birds. I do cruise without my hubby but he can handle only so much for so long without being stressed.

Only have one. She used to stay with son, now the neighbors.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

90c3863bf8e82f957cbf8295b5305039.jpg

2 cruises per year. And maybe cutting that down to 1. I love cruising, but you miss out on so many other great experiences if you aren't doing land based vacations, too. Even going to a resort in the Bahamas is awesome and we enjoyed almost more than cruising. Camping, visiting new cities, etc.

We had 2 dogs but now only have 1. Our friend stays at our house with her dog when we cruise and yes sometimes I fell uncomfortable only because I know it is an inconvenience for her to do so. Have tried giving her money and she gets insulted.

We’re both working, so we are usually doing 2 long cruises per year, 12-14+ nights. I really don’t like short cruises, did 2 for 7 nights and will never do it again.

Plus we always adding 10-15 days of land trips before the cruise. So, to summarize it we are doing 2 vacations per year each one month or longer, but still not enough for me [emoji57].

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not too often, but hopefully increasing.

We took a Disney 4 nighter in 2010, Disney 7 night Alaska in 2011, an RCI 3 nighter also in 2011 (but that was for a family event - an 80th birthday), an RCI 4 nighter in 2017 and we'll do an RCI 7 nighter this year. Hoping to do something annually while we're still working, but we'll see...

When retired, one of the things I'd love to do is winter somewhere in Florida...and that brings up the possibility of snagging some sweet last minute cruise deals that are a quick drive away...one can hope...