No books

Rjh8842

I was dragged - kicking and screaming - to an ereader. If I just read a few books during a cruise, I would still be bringing paper books. But, I read 15 - 20 books during a 9-night cruise, and significantly more during longer cruises; it's no longer practical to pack that many books. And there's always the chance that I bring a book I just can't get into. Then I'm really stuck.

So, with an ereader - I can bring 100s of books, and if I start a book I just can't get into, I can just move on.

My house is still full of "real" books. They are the books I have read many many times, they are close personal friends, and I could never abandon them, even on a cruise ship. :hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes:

I have to chuckle at posters who feel technology is going to replace something that never can be replaced. Good old fashion books. I, too, had an ereader given to me, and I hated it. It sits up in my closet. I LOVE the feel and smell of a real book with pages. I’ve got news to today’s smug youth—-books will never disappear.

A few years ago I did start using a kindle. So that I did not have to constantly donate my books. But I still prefer a real book. So vacations mean I get a real book. And since I go technology free on vacations I could not take a kindle anyways.

I refuse to think of my Kindle as technology. It’s just a library of books that I can carry in one hand. Just adjust your thinking and you can take lots of reading material on your next cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just wanted to report that the Adventure's library was not moved to Deck 5. They ended up just making the former club down there into a card room. Pretty good selection of books on Deck 7!

So the former Connoisseur Club is this card room?

Just got off the Sapphire Princess, had a small library, butthe book exchange hadmy kind of books, murder mysteries etc. It was heartening to see there were more books available at the end of the cruise than at the beginning. I left two books to make room for some of my wife's purchases.

No offense to some of the older posters here but I have news for you: just like newspapers and magazines, books are on the way out. There's simply no need to have printed material in 2018. Not to mention it's a complete waste of paper.

Boy you really have made a broad assumption about something that has absolutely nothing to do with a person's age. Older than what? My 9 year old granddaughter is an avid reader, way beyond her grade level. When my son told her that eventually there would be no book stores or physical books, she gave him a stern look and said, "I will move to CANADA if I have to". By the way, there are still plenty of magazines and newspapers on the racks, and what are you going to,use the paper for that you need to conserve it and not waste it on literature ?:rolleyes:

Being an avid reader I have embraced the new technology but still enjoy the old. I have my treasured and favorite books in the bookcase but when traveling my kindle serves me well as it doesn’t take up space and weighs significantly less. I tend to read a book a day so taking 7 or 8 books is a lot to keep track of. Having the kindle has helped me not accrue late/lost book fees at the library.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ah the age old (well since e-readers have been around) debate - physical v electronic books.

I am 34 and devour books like they are going out of fashion. I love physical books (who doesnt) and have bookcases overflowing with books, I visit my library a couple of times a month and order in books from other libraries too. I listen to audio books when I'm cleaning, playing on my computer or driving in the car and have hundreds of books on my devices from amazon, borrowbox and overdrive.

But when it comes to travelling, physical books just aren't practical. On my kindle, I have hundreds of books at my fingertips and can swap books easily according to my mood, all compacted into this tiny lightweight device.

Reading a physical book doesn't make you a better person than someone who chooses to read via e-reader or listen to an audio book.

Surely the issue isn't HOW people read, but that people ARE reading.

:)

ah the age old (well since e-readers have been around) debate - physical v electronic books.

I am 34 and devour books like they are going out of fashion. I love physical books (who doesnt) and have bookcases overflowing with books, i visit my library a couple of times a month and order in books from other libraries too. I listen to audio books when i'm cleaning, playing on my computer or driving in the car and have hundreds of books on my devices from amazon, borrowbox and overdrive.

But when it comes to travelling, physical books just aren't practical. On my kindle, i have hundreds of books at my fingertips and can swap books easily according to my mood, all compacted into this tiny lightweight device.

Reading a physical book doesn't make you a better person than someone who chooses to read via e-reader or listen to an audio book.

Surely the issue isn't how people read, but that people are reading.

:)

I understand that a Kindle is technology, but I don't see it that way. I see it as a way to have a number of books conveniently available. I don't use it for internet browsing or movies, it's a black and white model that excels at what it's designed for. I especially like it for reading in full sunlight.

Me too. My Kindle is a very old version now but, it is perfect for travel. I just load it with a few good titles and off I go. :D