End of an era- no more Hot Glass Show

81dollar

I found the press release. Hollywood Glass will be the new occupant, and they will do a free show early in the cruise. After that the guests will have an opportunity to make their own glass piece starting at a price of $40. My guess is that the gaffers won't be as talented ,but I'm sure for years folks have been saying that it would be cool to have a chance to make their own piece. I think I'd be afraid I'd burn myself. :)

Here is a link to Hollywood Hot Glass. The items you see in the photos are also shown on this web page. I think they are stock items to give an example of prices. It appears that the prices for glassmaking at the company site in Florida are the same for on the ship. https://www.hollywoodhotglass.com/

Then what are these items in your picture? Do the instructors also create things as part of demonstrations?

The items in the picture are items that you can pick from to make yourself and choose your own colors the instructors will help you it is about a 20-minute class. The hours that they were open were all filled up with classes so I don't think there is much time for any demonstrations. I was considering making one but when I walked by the heat was too intense for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

Then what are these items in your picture? Do the instructors also create things as part of demonstrations?

It sounds like it's no longer a class or demonstration, but just make your own 'x'. Depending what x you choose, changes the price you pay.

As said earlier, there's very little you can 'learn' in 20 minutes, let alone in a group setting.

The items in the picture are items that you can pick from to make yourself and choose your own colors the instructors will help you it is about a 20-minute class. The hours that they were open were all filled up with classes so I don't think there is much time for any demonstrations. I was considering making one but when I walked by the heat was too intense for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

Thanks. Now it makes sense. What we're seeing in the picture is essentially their price list. For $40, you can make a lump of glass and call it a paperweight. Want to make something marginally more attractive and functional like a vase, that will cost you $90. But then, you're not really making it. You're just spinning the stick while the pros actually do the shaping. So, I can spend $90 to sweat like a pig and spin a stick.

We were on Equinox last March and thought it was good. We are getting ready for our cruise on the 24 the of March. I think they have another company doing this and guests will have the opportunity to make something. Even for a fee to do it will be an opportunity to try. Cheaper than buying one at auction at end of cruise. I hope it works out for all. Cruising this weekend!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's covers a big area that could probably net more revenue by being a grill or something with greater appeal.

Those who participate will probably be a one and done, and not everyone on board will be interested to do it yourself.

The Hot Glass Show was really educational and amazing but we only went twice....out of many cruise days onboard.

I am glad we were able to see the Corning Hot Glass Show on the Eclipse on 4 or 5 cruises and I was even lucky enough to win a piece at a raffle on our first cruise. Also shame the Eclipse is not sailing out of Southampton any more

Off topic but I LOVE your screen name! :D

(Grandkids can't pronounce Bubbie?)