End of an era- no more Hot Glass Show

81dollar

I hope you understood that all of the money from the auction went either to scholarships for students to go to Corning or to Celebrity's current charity (2 years ago Breast Cancer Research, last year the Wildlife Foundation).

When you buy a piece (we have 4) you get a receipt for a tax deduction because the money goes to charity.

They do give away pieces during the shows if you stay for the whole show.

I've seen the auctioned pieces go for 4 figures and I've seen some go in the very low hundreds - it all depends on the audience.

Thank you for the information. I di not notice this aspect. This said, I am not sure the tax deduction would be valid in Canada. Thank you for the feedback though!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for the information. I di not notice this aspect. This said, I am not sure the tax deduction would be valid in Canada. Thank you for the feedback though!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

At the risk of oversimplifying a complicated issue, if your tax return includes some US source income, such as US dividends for example, you can claim your gifts to US charities up to 75 per cent of the net US income you reported on your Canadian return.

At the risk of oversimplifying a complicated issue, if your tax return includes some US source income, such as US dividends for example, you can claim your gifts to US charities up to 75 per cent of the net US income you reported on your Canadian return.

Unfortunately my income is 100% from Canadian sources, so I would not qualify; but I really appreciate that you took the time to explain the process involved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great idea! Jazz or a string quartet on the lawn would be lovely.

OK, take that and add the Lawn Club Grill. We've been on the Silhouette , Solstice, Equinox, and Reflection. Lawn Club blows away the glass show. There are glass blowers all over the planet. No need to waste a great outdoor space on a limited time show. Dining venue is awesome and YES,they do jazz concerts on the lawn in the afternoon!

It's not just the quality of the productions but their repetitive nature. The main show for our upcoming Southern Caribbean cruise on the Eclipse is the same as we had for the same cruise two years ago. I guess it's cheaper if you can keep the same props and costumes year after year after year...

As much as I dislike the fact that =X= has brought the entertainment in-house, the length of time for a show has nothing to do with that change. Only 2 years? The average life span for a production show is 5-7 years. That was the case when it was outsourced to Poet, the case now and the case in virtually every mainstream cruise line production show offering.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Forums mobile app

I have three cruises booked on S-class ships -- which are all going to be cancelled because of this change -- on top of many others. It may not seem like that big of a deal, but it is the straw that broke the camel's back.

Jazz - the change in the Hot Glass Show will lead to your leaving Celebrity entirely or only canceling your 3 booked cruises on ship's that had the Glass show? Are you going on another line that did not have the Glass Show at all to begin with? In piecing together the comments here, It seems that the show will not be affiliated with Corning but might come back. Why does everybody assume that this change was Celebrity's fault? Maybe Corning initiated the change. And maybe Celebrity is reacting to the change with Corning and realising the show's popularity by keeping the show under a different vendor as the comments seem to indicate.

I hope you understood that all of the money from the auction went either to scholarships for students to go to Corning or to Celebrity's current charity (2 years ago Breast Cancer Research, last year the Wildlife Foundation).

When you buy a piece (we have 4) you get a receipt for a tax deduction because the money goes to charity.

They do give away pieces during the shows if you stay for the whole show.

I've seen the auctioned pieces go for 4 figures and I've seen some go in the very low hundreds - it all depends on the audience.

The pieces are one of a kind and well worth what they sell for. Quality blown glass is not cheap. I've been outbid several times at the auction. Always hoped to score one of the pieces they gave away, but never succeeded. Oh well, I have fond memories of the many hours I watched those talented artists blow glass. That made a cruise on those ships special. Now, not so much.

Many of the celebrity cruisers we meet on the ships who have sailed multiple times, do not go to the glass show anymore- I do not understand why this would impact a persons desire to cruise on Celebrity? If it is great entertainment and activities people want they would be sailing on the RC Oasis class ships.

Of course to each his/her own- but IMO surely not a deal breaker. I am much more concerned with the dramatic increases in cruise pricing.

My daughter & her friend booked a cruise 10 days ago for the 1st week in April & it is paid in full. They are both huge glass blowing fans - they've traveled to Murano, Italy, the glass place in Seattle, Corning glass in NY ...so they decided against a different cruise line & picked the Equinox just because of the glass show. When I told her the Corning Glass show was gone, she was not happy. They booked 10 days ago and Celebrity did not know?. They are Elite on Celebrity & I suggested she call Captains Club. She did. The rep she talked to had no idea what she was talking about and told her it was probably a rumor. He called his supervisor & again she was told they never heard that Celebrity was getting rid of Corning or that Corning was leaving. They said they'd contact the ship & get back to her. This thread was started just a few days after they booked, Celebrity had to know.

Celebrity - nothing is consistent across the line & the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing. I really wish they'd publish changes and say "Effective 'date'" this or that is changing. They seem to do this all the time - flight times for the luggage valet; beverage package incl drinks (b/c change in price limits); the men's evening chic dress requirement. I really don't care what the rules or requirements are - just let us know ahead of time so we can make decisions & plan - not effectively immediately.

As much as I dislike the fact that =X= has brought the entertainment in-house, the length of time for a show has nothing to do with that change. Only 2 years? The average life span for a production show is 5-7 years. That was the case when it was outsourced to Poet, the case now and the case in virtually every mainstream cruise line production show offering.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Forums mobile app

Yes, I'm well aware of that, and there are many shows that I've been happy to see again. Unfortunately, that's simply not the case of the show on the Eclipse.

My daughter & her friend booked a cruise 10 days ago for the 1st week in April & it is paid in full. They are both huge glass blowing fans - they've traveled to Murano, Italy, the glass place in Seattle, Corning glass in NY ...so they decided against a different cruise line & picked the Equinox just because of the glass show. When I told her the Corning Glass show was gone, she was not happy. They booked 10 days ago and Celebrity did not know?. They are Elite on Celebrity & I suggested she call Captains Club. .

She is Elite and never been on a Celebrity ship with the glass show. I would have thought that she would have only sailed on those ships that did since she is a big fan of it.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Never been to show. Don’t care if it’s replaced. Feel sorry for those who are so upset.

With Reflection just getting a movie screen by Lawn Club I think that will be added to all S class ships near the glass show area when they have dry docks or updates done. May become like M class movie/ drinks/ food on aft areas

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are surprised too. We were on the Equinox last fall and even ending up buying a vase at the auction. Knowing how much infrastructure Celebrity must have invested in the attration, I am sure that it had to be a pretty compelling business case for them to make this decision.

Snowing and 18 degrees in Buffalo today. Six inches of snow fell last night. Ready for a cruise (anywhere).

Too bad. I hope that it's still up and running on the Eclipse in March.

I am not sure how much longer it will be on Eclipse. We just got off last week, and had attended two Hot Glass Shows. At the last day glass auction, they announced that the Corning team would be heading home soon and there wouldn’t be any more glass auctions like that. It sounded like this was their last one, but they didnt give us any specifics. They just said goodbyes. A new vendor would be making glass, but it would be for sale in the shops, not charity and scholarships fund raising like Corning does.

Yes, I'm well aware of that, and there are many shows that I've been happy to see again. Unfortunately, that's simply not the case of the show on the Eclipse.

Just got off the Eclipse two weeks ago and the entertainment wasn't good. My DH and I left after about 10 minutes. The production shows had acrobatics- while people were talented- poor choreograph . One guest singer was good and that was the only show we stayed for during our two week cruise- The comedians were weak- they used to have a late night adult show in Celebrity Central, but no longer. The late night shows were very funny.

The best part of the shows was the live music. Fortunately live music all of the ship.

I am not sure how much longer it will be on Eclipse. We just got off last week, and had attended two Hot Glass Shows. At the last day glass auction, they announced that the Corning team would be heading home soon and there wouldn’t be any more glass auctions like that. It sounded like this was their last one, but they didnt give us any specifics. They just said goodbyes. A new vendor would be making glass, but it would be for sale in the shops, not charity and scholarships fund raising like Corning does.

Thanks, Cindy. Not the news I was hoping for, thinking that they might try to finish off the winter season, but perhaps they want to have the change completed before heading to Europe.

Did I understand that correctly, they are leaving the equipment on for a paid for interactive experience?

30 years ago, Whilst at university I worked part time in the handmade crystal glass industry. The skill level needed to hand produce glass of any reasonable standard (let alone the stunning quality produced on board) is immense. I recall a U.K. TV series recently where each week the host has a go at some traditional craft, he was very clear glass blowing was probably the hardest task he'd done. It's also pretty dangerous.

I expect it may offer opportunities, for a fee, to create your own glass works. There are several glass-works businesses in Oregon, mostly on the coast, that let you do just this. They are also very popular.

I have a friend at Corning and asked him. He said the rumors are true about it ending but that they should be on through all of February.

I sure hope he was correct.

I have a friend at Corning and asked him. He said the rumors are true about it ending but that they should be on through all of February.

I sure hope he was correct.

Did you ask your friend at Corning Inc. who and why it was decided to terminate the HGS.

Did you ask your friend at Corning Inc. who and why it was decided to terminate the HGS.

Corning Inc. and the Corning Museum are different. Celebrity cut ties with the Museum and will remove shows from EC followed by SL. A new vendor will be doing a ‘you make glass’ style program for a fee.