Cork Screw

Some have reported confiscation of the ones with the tiny foil/wax blade. We bring the cheap screw that nests in a tube which doubles as the handle. Alternately, you can ask the room steward to bring one to you I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Any restrictions on type of cork screw you can take onboard? What type do you take onboard?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We always have a corkscrew in our first aid kit even when we don't bring wine onboard. It's the type with the 1.25" knife style foil cutter. Never been an issue.

We have generally been able to bring any corkscrew onto ships with no difficulty. However, once upon boarding a Celebrity cruise, they confiscated a corkscrew with a little foil knife, returning it at the end of the cruise. Just once in many cruises.

On Oasis this time, we asked the cabin stewardess for one. In the past, that worked fine. Sadly, the one Royal caribbean provided us was such poor quality as to be useless. Rather than extracting the cork, the metal part of the corkscrew puuled right out of the plastic handle. I'm not a muscular gal, so clearly it was not my awesome strength that resulted in corkscrew failure. Anyhow, we had a corked bottle with a metal stub. So, bring your own or risk being given one of the new, weak, useless ones.

Your cabin steward or a bar server will be happy to give you one of these:

DSC07607.jpg

DSC07608.jpg

DSC07609.jpg

That's the one we received on previous cruises; it worked fine.

This time on Oasis we received a similarly shaped one without the logo. It was cheaply made with a shorter, thinner metal screw that was weakly attached to the plastic. (DH dug out an old one and completed them). I hope it was a one-off our steward found laying around. If not, royal might have gotten a batch of poorly made weak corkscrews. So, it might be worth bringing one from home.

I hate those cheap plastic ones. You have to hold the bottle between your legs to yank our a stubborn cork. I always travel with one similar to this. It has no knife blade/foil cutter, so it should be OK with TSA going thru security, but I had one confiscated at Heathrow, so I always travel with it in my checked baggage.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/franmara-2034-01-boomerang-black-waiter-corkscrew-with-cutter/208C2034.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7aW1rdv62AIVibjACh2qrgjZEAQYAyABEgK3CvD_BwE

That's the one we received on previous cruises; it worked fine.

This time on Oasis we received a similarly shaped one without the logo. It was cheaply made with a shorter, thinner metal screw that was weakly attached to the plastic. (DH dug out an old one and completed them). I hope it was a one-off our steward found laying around. If not, royal might have gotten a batch of poorly made weak corkscrews. So, it might be worth bringing one from home.

Same thing happened to us on Jewel last November, No logo. Plastic pulled out of the screw on the second bottle.

We always have a corkscrew in our first aid kit even when we don't bring wine onboard. It's the type with the 1.25" knife style foil cutter. Never been an issue.

We do the same , make sure you carry it on, was called to naughty room when having it in checked luggage, told them it was a wine opener then was able to get luggage

I keep a spare wine key or two in my checked bag, and a favorite double jointed one in my carry on.

Only when we are on a flight and I forget to take that little wine key out of my carry on has it ever been confiscated by TSA. Never, ever at the cruise terminal on all the cruises I have been on.

I really dislike those cheap, awful plastic freebie ones they give you on the ship. Get what you pay for I guess. :eek:;)

We do the same , make sure you carry it on, was called to naughty room when having it in checked luggage, told them it was a wine opener then was able to get luggage

Our is always in our checked luggage and have never been called down to the naughty room.

Our is always in our checked luggage and have never been called down to the naughty room.

Ahh..the naughty room. Got called down one time for wire hangers in my checked luggage. :o They passed it through the scanner again down there and gave me the bag unopened. Huh?? It was quite obvious they could see they were hangers and not some wired bomb. :p

From now on I take plastic hangers for extra. ;)

Ahh..the naughty room. Got called down one time for wire hangers in my checked luggage. :o They passed it through the scanner again down there and gave me the bag unopened. Huh?? It was quite obvious they could see they were hangers and not some wired bomb. :p

From now on I take plastic hangers for extra. ;)

They just wanted to show you who was in charge. ;)

Edited by davekathy