Passport Question

cntrydncr1

From the Carnival website:

Carnival highly recommends that all guests travel with a passport valid for at least six months beyond completion of travel (unless otherwise noted). This will enhance the debarkation experience as delays may be expected upon return to the United States for those without one. Additionally, this will enable guests to fly from the United States to meet their ship at a foreign port should they miss their scheduled port of embarkation and allow guests who must disembark the ship before their cruise ends due to an emergency to fly back to the United States without significant delays and complications.

not for a cruise, but for land travel your passport must have 6 months left on it

Both incorrect and incomplete. Some countries do require travelers to have 6 months remaining on their passport on the day they plan to depart for home, so if you are visiting one of those countries for 2 months your passport must have over 8 months remaining on it on the day you leave. For many countries they use a 3 month remaining standard. This may vary from country to country so one would be advised to check the requirements early on in their planning to make sure they will meet the requirements and that they have time to get any required visas.

You can certainly travel with a passport that is expiring soon but it sorta defeats the purpose of traveling with the passport in the first place. For all intents and purposes- the passport enables you to board the vessel just like your picture ID and birth certificate. However- a valid passport (one that has at least 6 months left) allows you re-entry in the unlikely event of an emergency- missing the ship, medical emergency or emergency back home that requires you to debark early. If your expiring passport will not allow for this- you’re just as well to use your ID and birth certificate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can certainly travel with a passport that is expiring soon but it sorta defeats the purpose of traveling with the passport in the first place. For all intents and purposes- the passport enables you to board the vessel just like your picture ID and birth certificate. However- a valid passport (one that has at least 6 months left) allows you re-entry in the unlikely event of an emergency- missing the ship, medical emergency or emergency back home that requires you to debark early. If your expiring passport will not allow for this- you’re just as well to use your ID and birth certificate.

A US passport is valid for re-entry to the US up until the day it expires, however one is re-entering (land, sea or air). If the passport is valid for a week after the sailing ends then it is obviously valid for debarking early for an emergency.

Both incorrect and incomplete. Some countries do require travelers to have 6 months remaining on their passport on the day they plan to depart for home, so if you are visiting one of those countries for 2 months your passport must have over 8 months remaining on it on the day you leave. For many countries they use a 3 month remaining standard. This may vary from country to country so one would be advised to check the requirements early on in their planning to make sure they will meet the requirements and that they have time to get any required visas.

We are talking about a cruise here....No need to confuse the original poster. If the Passport is valid regardless of number of days left....its more than adequate for their cruise. Also, Passengers have the Birth Certificate/License option for closed loop cruises. Lets try to keep it simple and not confuse the OP.

both what? why would you even think about traveling abroad with a passport expiring soon. Pretty simple, renew your passport at least 6 months before it expires. It's not a contest to see how close to expiration you can get.

To use a passport as your citizenship document on a cruise, it will only be required to be valid through the end of the cruise. But if you have an emergency where you have an extended stay in a foreign country and the passport expires while you are there, you will not be able to fly back with an expired passport. That is why you should have some cushion. Required, no. Good idea, definitely.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks everyone. I was asking for friends that I will be cruising with later this month. Their passports will expire at the end of March. so it is now too late for them to get get new ones. guessing they will just take their chances with the old passport.

not for a cruise, but for land travel your passport must have 6 months left on it

Wrong. The cruise line itself or any port along the route that requires a passport may require the 6 month buffer from the last day of you visit there.

Check both the US State Department search feature and the consulate web page of each country on your itinerary.

Remember too that some cruise lines require all passengers on all itineraries to produce a passport ("closed loop" cruises too).

both what? why would you even think about traveling abroad with a passport expiring soon. Pretty simple, renew your passport at least 6 months before it expires. It's not a contest to see how close to expiration you can get.

Your response was both incomplete and incorrect regarding land travel so I provided clarification. I will let my travel plans dictate when I renew my passport, not the date that it expires. I am one that will travel abroad without a passport in the first place if that is what works for me, so having a passport that expires shortly after expiration wouldn't bother me at all. You do it your way and I'll do it mine.

Thanks everyone. I was asking for friends that I will be cruising with later this month. Their passports will expire at the end of March. so it is now too late for them to get get new ones. guessing they will just take their chances with the old passport.

Your friends need to do better research. If they’re not traveling until March , they have plenty of time to renew their passports. We had friends that unknowingly let their daughters passport expire and only noticed the week before the cruise.

And with a little special handling, they were able to get a new one in 3 days

PS their daughter made it on the cruise

Your friends need to do better research. If they’re not traveling until March , they have plenty of time to renew their passports. We had friends that unknowingly let their daughters passport expire and only noticed the week before the cruise.

And with a little special handling, they were able to get a new one in 3 days

PS their daughter made it on the cruise

Normal turn around time for renewals (provided all your paperwork and pictures and payment are correct) is now 14-21 days.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Probably not too late, I mailed mine for renewal on January 8th and had the new one back on January 25th.

• 2 weeks later...
Let us add another answer. Passport fees increase April 2, 2018. Saw this on my news feed. May take some more exploring. But here is a link.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/travel/2018/02/01/passport-fees-increasing-april-2/1086722001/

The acceptance fee is going up $10, the cost of the passport remains the same ($110 for an adult). Since the OP has a passport and can renew by mail then they don't have to worry about an acceptance fee.