Tell me what you love about RC and what you don't.................

We usually cruise carnival. We love all the food and entertainment options. Truth people on Carnival say RC is an older people ship and they roll it up at midnight. We are considering a European cruise and Carnival only cruises italy so we are looking at some RC cruises.

I’ve cruised both lines and prefer Royal. Our preference is based on service. I think customer service will make or break your experience. Royal has exceeded over Carnival in this area, in my opinion.

There isn’t much about Royal I don’t like but if I had to pick something it would be enrichment opportunities. I would love to see history and astronomy lectures.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We usually cruise carnival. We love all the food and entertainment options. Truth people on Carnival say RC is an older people ship and they roll it up at midnight. We are considering a European cruise and Carnival only cruises italy so we are looking at some RC cruises.

We think the crew and service they provide are excellent.

I like the combination of fun with a traditional cruise experience. Royal (like Carnival) doesn’t take itself too seriously. I like that there are itineraries around the world, and that their 3 North American lines (RCI, Celebrity, and Azamara) have reciprocal loyalty programs. I find usually that they have a good value for the fare. It’s by no means a luxury experience, but I’m not paying luxury rates.

A lot of folks complain about the nickel and diming. That doesn’t bother me too much as it’s usually not something I would have gotten if it were free. What I don’t like is the conversion of non-revenue generating spaces (libraries and spa waiting rooms) into cabins.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have equally sailed Carnival & Royal. We have also sailed NCL, HAL & Celebrity. We’ve had great cruises on all those lines but they do each have their own personalities. Overall we prefer Carnival when comparing to Royal. Carnival wins with the mdr food, customer service and customers. Royal wins with promenade and entertainment/shows. Our worst customer service experience was on Royal. The lines are more similar then different.

Ship makes a difference too. We book based on itinerary, ship & price....not cruise line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We think the crew and service they provide are excellent.

I agree with Bob. It must be the way RCL pushes their crew. Basic pay $50 per month and bulk comes from gratuities. Room Attendant, Waiter and Bartender get average $1000 per month. Pot Cleaner, garage collectors and others get $500 per month. For reference see latest financial report by CEO.

Go with your choice of itinerary. All ships/cruise lines have their pluses and minuses.

I've sailed many times on most of the mainstreet lines.....and I am not tied to any one in particular. The only thing I won't do again is a 3-night weekend cruise on any.

There are lots of other considerations for European cruises including airfare, departure port, etc.

David

I can't compare Royal to Carnival since I have never sailed Carnival but Royal certainly doesn't close down later on, something is always going on depending on what you wish to do. i don't worry about the sales since I never buy anything. I also see a lot of families on the ships we have been on. Much of that is based upon time of year and itineraries

I love the design of the ships, I like the MDR.

I do not like the Windjammer, I do not like their Cafe Promenade/Sorrentos that makes whatever that stuff is they call Pizza. Also, I am one that does not feel the service is better on RCI than CCL, but that does not mean I am saying that the service is bad either.

For me we were on the Allure and you pretty much can't get an omelette for breakfast. Food overall was ok but nothing to talk about or even memorable.

That's hard to believe, omelettes should have been available in the Main Dining Room, Johnny Rockets, and Wipeout Cafe.

To OP, we like the Royal ships better, especially those with a promenade. Carnival wins for their beds. Royal has started buying horribly hard beds. RC does have late night fun, but not as many late comedy show as Carnival. There is good and bad on all lines, but Royal is my favorite. Hubby likes Carnival better, so we routinely cruise both lines.

The only Carnival ship I have been on was the Conquest and the only thing it had that I wish RCI had was the deli. I had the best Rueben and Tuna Melt from that deli and have not found their equal any where else. As for ships, I like RCI Radiance class the best. I wish the Radiance class still had the Seaview Café though. On all CI ships I have been on, passengers can walk up on the bow. On the Conquest, this area was reserved or the crew. The Conquest appeared to me to be a much older ship then Radiance class ships. I prefer the layout of the Radiance class ships over the Conquest.

Love the Royal Promenade on Voyager class & up (Anthem-class does something similar but a bit different, I'm told). Some 'small ship lovers' complain about on big ships 'not feeling like they're on a ship.' I can go up on deck (cause I'm too cheap to pay for a balcony) & look at the ocean; I like an option where I can go & not feel like I'm on a boat all the time.

Beautiful, well-designed ships, a range of activities, entertaining shows, lots of good stuff.

Richard.

I’ve cruised both lines and prefer Royal. Our preference is based on service. I think customer service will make or break your experience. Royal has exceeded over Carnival in this area, in my opinion.

There isn’t much about Royal I don’t like but if I had to pick something it would be enrichment opportunities. I would love to see history and astronomy lectures.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Would love lectures like that. It seems that the walking art tours I sign up for are cancelled last minute and they don’t offer the Central Park plant tour often I keep missing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been on both lines and prefer RCI over CI but to be fair I have not cruised CI for 26 years or so. Just had a better cruise experience on RCI as our 2nd cruise so we never went back to CI.

Everything I thought was pretty equal on both ships but Customer service and crew wins out. One thing for me I would like to see with RCI is to include the drinks in cruise costs instead of having add packages.

As far as night life after midnight, I don't partake in all there still seams to be many out and about. I guess it's just where your looking and what you want to do.