Grand Suite vs. Jr. Suite

Kim225

We have also done both, but will generally book a JS 90% of the time since it suits our needs just fine. Can book 5 JS cabin cruises for the price of a GS on most sailings.

...snip. ;)

I'm new to RCI, but I have to ask. Are you exaggerating a little bit with that statement, 5 JS cabins for 1 GS? We booked a GS an I am keeping track of pricing for future cruises and I don't see GS being that much more expensive.

I'm new to RCI, but I have to ask. Are you exaggerating a little bit with that statement, 5 JS cabins for 1 GS? We booked a GS an I am keeping track of pricing for future cruises and I don't see GS being that much more expensive.

Yeah, I noticed my misprint way too late...sorry about that!! :confused::eek:

I meant to say can book five JS cabins for the price of three GS cabins...for example I booked a JS (favorite cabin, great location just steps from the DL) for 2700.00 on Oasis for this December. At that time the GS cabins were going for 4900.00. With those figures I can sail approx five times versus three by sticking to a JS. Which suits my needs just fine anyway. ;)

If all else fails and the price of GS does not go down (but right now they are sold out anyway)....I will still be very happy with my excellent location of my favorite cabin. :) And the JS cabins for that cruise have been sold out for months! :o

Oh, no problem. :) We booked our GS on deck 8, not being sure which deck was a good one. We wanted to go higher but they were booked. We leave in less than 3 weeks! We are very excited. We usually cruise on Celebrity, but the experience that we will have in a GS with the Coastal Kitchen will be awesome!

I hope your cruise in Dec is a fantastic one.

We just got off the Freedom and had a JS. The previous cruise we had a GS on the Harmony. The room on the Harmony was bigger and nicer but the real difference was in the extras such as 24 hour to costal kitchen including the expresso machine, saved seats to shows, the suite sun deck which was never over crowded and as Labadee was on the trip the suite beach was great. On an Oasis class ship the grand suite was worth it to us. Yes the junior suite had a walk in closet, and I threatened to sleep in there if the wife's snoring became too loud but I made it through without relocating to there

Oh, no problem. :) We booked our GS on deck 8, not being sure which deck was a good one. We wanted to go higher but they were booked. We leave in less than 3 weeks! We are very excited. We usually cruise on Celebrity, but the experience that we will have in a GS with the Coastal Kitchen will be awesome!

I hope your cruise in Dec is a fantastic one.

It is indeed a wonderful perk! We loved CK and the SL on our last Oasis cruise a couple of months ago. Really makes a big difference on Oasis class ships going from JS to GS. Lots of bang for the buck! :cool: The upgrade fairy granted our wish on that one. :D

• 10 months later...

I've stayed in Royal, Grand and Owners suites as well as Jr Suite.  The pluses are the Suites have a lot of extra perks, and a lot of wasted space good if you're having parties or dinners in cabin.Your butler will take care of everything.     We've had a piano in an owners suite.  . We  don't drink and do not stay in the cabin too much.    The Jr Suite is a larger balcony  room and  has larger bath with tub. Very accommodating  We get 3 drinks  per evening on our cards. so were good. So for us, don't really need the extra perks unless with a group that parties in the cabin.   

Would the junior suite on smaller ship like vision still be beneficial over balcony stateroom with regards to space to sit and watch TV and space in the bathroom........the balcony any better???    Thanks for your help.  We are on vision going out of mobile on Jan 5 and just wondered about benefit of the junior suite

15 minutes ago, creel5857 said:

Would the junior suite on smaller ship like vision still be beneficial over balcony stateroom with regards to space to sit and watch TV and space in the bathroom........the balcony any better???    Thanks for your help.  We are on vision going out of mobile on Jan 5 and just wondered about benefit of the junior suite

We had an aft cabin, deck 8, just below the massage/spa on deck 9. The aft balcony was the biggest we've ever had. It did not have a walk-in closet...but it was noticeably bigger than a regular balcony cabin. What we loved the most was the staircase (only a few steps away), that goes up directly to the gym. Note: The balcony had 2 loungers, 2 chairs, and a table with plenty of room left...and the views were nice.:classic_smile:

On 2/4/2018 at 3:24 AM, theredwoodguy said:

We love JS's and have no issue booking them UNLESS we are on an Oasis Class ship and then we will book a GS. I want the all day access to the Coastal Kitchen and Suite Lounge when I am on those ships.

For us, whenever sailing on oasis class, we must book the crown lofts.  But if the price is unreasonable will try a gs.

On 2/4/2018 at 4:55 AM, mafig said:

One of the perks of the JS is supposed to be access to the Coastal Kitchen for dinner. This is important to me because I still remember my husband complaining non stop about the food in the main restaurant.:(

Unfortunately, from my research supposed to be and actually are two different things. A very recent Allure review had the poster only able to get a reservation once out of seven days.

So for that reason, our next cruise on Allure will probably be either a GS or a balcony with a specialty restaurant package. (I know that sounds weird, but prices are pretty good on the GS for some sailings).

Hi there you two.  Husband didn't like the food in mdr on allure? 

I asked about having two guests for dinner in CK one night but was told no way.  Have been able to before on allure and oasis but this time not possible i was told.  Figured with our family eating in mdr twice they might have let us have two guests one night. We should have had dinner with you two in mdr on those nights.  See you two again on a future cruise.  We have serenade in feb, ovation and radiance in july and liberty in oct.  Have msc seaside or davina booked for feb 2020.  Do you plan on going on msc again?  Heard arthur is now a head waiter on davina.

One week in JS then switch to a GS for second cruise if available. But don’t reverse it. You will be so disappointed.  We love  the  GS and the perks. 

If you start in the JS you will have something to look forward to. Enjoy 😊 

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 1:23 AM, frank808 said:

Hi there you two.  Husband didn't like the food in mdr on allure? 

I asked about having two guests for dinner in CK one night but was told no way.  Have been able to before on allure and oasis but this time not possible i was told.  Figured with our family eating in mdr twice they might have let us have two guests one night. We should have had dinner with you two in mdr on those nights.  See you two again on a future cruise.  We have serenade in feb, ovation and radiance in july and liberty in oct.  Have msc seaside or davina booked for feb 2020.  Do you plan on going on msc again?  Heard arthur is now a head waiter on davina.

Hi, Frank.

Jose thought the food on Allure was fine.  The post you're reading was from Feb., before our cruise on Allure.

Yes, we'll be going on MSC again.  I was going to wait till I knew FOR SURE when the private island will be open.

Sorry we didn't connect for dinner with you and your family, that would have been fun.:classic_smile:

Have a great holiday!

Mary Ann

12 hours ago, mafig said:

Hi, Frank.

Jose thought the food on Allure was fine.  The post you're reading was from Feb., before our cruise on Allure.

Yes, we'll be going on MSC again.  I was going to wait till I knew FOR SURE when the private island will be open.

Sorry we didn't connect for dinner with you and your family, that would have been fun.:classic_smile:

Have a great holiday!

Mary Ann

Glad that Jose liked the food on Allure.  The two nights that CK didn't interest us we had a nice meal in MDR.  My wife loves the lamb shank.

Happy Holidays to you guys! 

We bounce around in all the suite types although lately we have been in the higher levels.  I like the JS just fine.  I do prefer a GS+ if there is a Coastal Kitchen and/or a suite lounge.

For us the deciding factor is the ship, since different ships have different options.

On 2/4/2018 at 8:55 AM, mafig said:

One of the perks of the JS is supposed to be access to the Coastal Kitchen for dinner. This is important to me because I still remember my husband complaining non stop about the food in the main restaurant.:(

Unfortunately, from my research supposed to be and actually are two different things. A very recent Allure review had the poster only able to get a reservation once out of seven days.

So for that reason, our next cruise on Allure will probably be either a GS or a balcony with a specialty restaurant package. (I know that sounds weird, but prices are pretty good on the GS for some sailings).

I know I'll get slammed for this comment, but also our experience with a Junior Suite on an Oasis class has been that it is hard to get into Coastal Kitchen for dinner.  My take is a lot will of this will also depends on how many Pinnacles are on your sailing and wish to eat there, seems they have priority over JS guests also.  My main complaint is no where in RCCL's advertising for the JS perks, at least that I noticed, does it say "dinner in Coastal Kitchen if space is available".  So if this perk "dinner in Coastal Kitchen"  is important to you, by all means book a Grand Suite and enjoy all the benifits.  or Be satisfied with the extra room and convenience afforded by a JS.