Grand Suite vs. Jr. Suite

Kim225

We cruise every 3-4 years, so not as often as many people. Our last 3 cruises we have stayed in a Grand Suite and loved it! My husband and I are planning our first back-to-back cruise in March 2019 and because costs are quite high for the Grand Suite, we are considering a Jr. Suite instead (since it will be 2 weeks instead of normal 1 week).

Just curious if anyone has experience in staying in a Grand Suite and then on a different cruise staying in a Jr. Suite. Did you miss the Grand Suite or is there not that significant of a difference?

There is such a huge difference in price right between the GS and JS that I am struggling to justify the cost difference, but we sure have loved staying in Grand Suites in the past. Since we don't cruise often, and we will stay in the cabin for 2 weeks, I don't want to regret my decision. Appreciate hearing thoughts from people who have stayed in both cabin types.

We regularly switch between GS, JS and regular balcony depending on price and honestly enjoy every cruise just as much whichever cabin we are in. We often get a GS for a TA as there are usually some good deals if you book early and it's nice to have the extra space to enjoy on all the sea days. For a port intensive cruise I'm happy in a balcony or JS since we are not in the cabin so often, I'd only go for a GS if the price were a real bargain (to me).

We are D+ so have access to the DL/CL anyway but I may miss that a bit if we didn't. We like the smaller ships and haven't experienced Coastal Kitchen so can't comment on that.

Julie

The only junior suite I've stayed in was great. Very spacious and had a walk in closet. The biggest difference would be not getting access to the concierge lounge or being able to order of the main dining room menu for room service, or the suite deck by the pool I'm not sure what ship you are on but I've found that the way they have moved the concierge lounge to the 17th floor of some of the oasis ships I rarely use it anymore (quicker to go to the Diamond lounge). I feel the concierge access is a more beneficial on the Freedom class and below, especially with the windjammer at breakfast and lunch where they allow you to bring your food into the specialty restaurants for a quieter experience.

Good luck with your decision. You'll have a great time either way!!

Depends a lot on the ship and itinerary. We generally do JS's but have done a couple GS's and Crown Lofts. On Oasis class I feel the GS or better perks are worth considering, Suite Lounge, Coastal Kitchen, Reserved seating at all shows, Sun Deck with bar, Barefoot Beach at Labadee. Smaller ships, the perks disappear. We are D+ so we get Concierge Lounge access anyway, but not Suite Lounge.

As for space, on Vision Class there are no walkin closets in the JS. And the room is smaller. I think on the other classes there is a walkin closet and the room is significantly bigger.

Value is subjective. I think on Oasis Class it's worth looking at the GS or higher. Other classes, especially since I get Concierge Lounge anyway, not so much. Depending on the cruise, if it's not much more, I'll always go higher for the extra room. If we're going to Labadee, I'll look at it for Barefoot Beach. But each of us has to determine our value level.

I just booked a 12 night cruise in Europe for 2019. The GS is $1000 per person MORE than a JS. Not even worth my time to consider it as this is a port intensive cruise and we'll be off the ship so much. A Trans Atlantic, maybe a different story.

• Like 1

After cruising in GS for the past 7 cruises plus B2B cruises coming in March, I’ll be in a JS in August. I always loved the walk in closet of a JS but will miss the countertop to place our room service tray in the morning and the special perks you get in a GS.

Not every one will agree but I prefer the JS over the GS regardless of price and perks. Love the walkin closet of the JS vs that dry bar area and tight squeeze to get to the closet. JMHO

Same here, we prefer the layout of the JS over the GS.

We have also done both, but will generally book a JS 90% of the time since it suits our needs just fine. Can book 5 JS cabin cruises for the price of a GS on most sailings.

As others stated, the only other ship I would want to book a GS with would be the Oasis class, since we (D+) have lost access to a CL on those ships now, and would gain access to the SL/CK.

Unfortunately the GS on even the usually lesser traveled December cruise I have booked is 2500.00 more than what I booked the JS for. :o So I am keeping my nicely located "hump" JS for that one. ;)

One of the perks of the JS is supposed to be access to the Coastal Kitchen for dinner. This is important to me because I still remember my husband complaining non stop about the food in the main restaurant.:(

Unfortunately, from my research supposed to be and actually are two different things. A very recent Allure review had the poster only able to get a reservation once out of seven days.

So for that reason, our next cruise on Allure will probably be either a GS or a balcony with a specialty restaurant package. (I know that sounds weird, but prices are pretty good on the GS for some sailings).

Same here, we prefer the layout of the JS over the GS.

Bob,

Doesn't it depend on the ship you are sailing? Had a GS twice on Jewel and JS on Empress and also on Majesty. We loved both GS and JS. Booked GS on Enchantment for Nov.2018. Would think it would make more of a difference on Oasis class.

Grace

Bob,

Doesn't it depend on the ship you are sailing? Had a GS twice on Jewel and JS on Empress and also on Majesty. We loved both GS and JS. Booked GS on Enchantment for Nov.2018. Would think it would make more of a difference on Oasis class.

Grace

Cannot comment on Empress, but I've seen the GS and JS on Radiance, Vison, and Sovereign classes and still prefer the JS layout.

Thanks for all of the comments. Great points to consider.

We will be cruising on the Allure.

Coastal Kitchen is new since our last cruise, so I wasn't sure how important it is to have all day access vs dinner only. Sounds like it is worth taking that into consideration.

Thanks for all of the comments. Great points to consider.

We will be cruising on the Allure.

Coastal Kitchen is new since our last cruise, so I wasn't sure how important it is to have all day access vs dinner only. Sounds like it is worth taking that into consideration.

Coastal Kitchen for breakfast is a very nice perk. Peaceful, great views, excellent service.

My wife and I cruise in Grand Suites every sailing, regardless of ship. We love the extras, beginning with the attention at the cruise terminal. Although we are D+, I prefer the Concierge Lounge, but also appreciate that we can hang in the DL if we choose. For us, the GS is perfect--the lowest class of suite that provides all the main perks, i.e. CL, happy hour drinks, priority boarding, room-service menu, etc., not to mention spacious bathroom w/double vanities.

Other than decent space, lower price, and the walk-in closet some of you prefer, the JS on Royal provides very little in the way of extras (unless you are D or D+), in my opinion. Neil

So if I am reading this thread correctly. The main reason people like a JS vs GS is walk in closet and anywhere from $1,000 less per person for JS. Some like the CK which I guess is only offered on the newer larger ships. How many people can dine in CK; i.e. how many people does it hold for meal service? Some people will choose a suite of any type just because they like the special treatment, concierge making shore excursions, dinner at specialty restaurants, preferred seating at pool and theaters, priority getting on and off ship; so for these perks they are willing to pay a little extra. Since each person has their own reasons for booking different size and type cabins; I say go for it. I am sure if money were no object there would be some that would only book Royal Suite on all their sailings.

We just upgraded to a GS from a JS for an upcoming cruise on Harmony. On this ship, the GS comes with access to CK for every meal, Suite Lounge, and free WiFi among other perks. Also RCCL is running a special with free gratuities and OBC. So the price of the upgrade, taking in all of these perks, was not much more than the JS. That being said, we usually are quite happy with a JS on most RCCL ships.

If I told my wife I had booked a JS instead of a GS, she would say: "Hope you enjoy your cruise. I'll be here when you get back."

Our upcoming Allure is in a JS. She only let me book it because it was so cheap and we're in a suite the following week on Celebrity Silhouette. We do like the JS layout better but once you get use to full suite perks it's hard to go back.