Transfer to ship from airport

baxley

There should be a HAL rep at the airport baggage claim area to meet you and advise you how you will be transferred to the ship (or your hotel if you are staying prior to sailing). If there will be many people departing the airport you may be going by large bus which they will mostly fill. If there are not a lot of people arrive around the time you arrive, they may send you in a taxi or van.

Look for the HAL rep at the airport baggage claim. Happy cruising! m--

When I used the transfer last September in Vancouver, everything was well organized. There were 3 ships in port.

We checked in with Hal Reps and they directed us outside of package claim. Once outside of back age claim they took our luggage that went straight to the Ship.

They then directed us outside to wait for our shuttle, which was a big bus. Hal and Princess shared the same bus.

I hadn’t used a Hal shuttle in a long time but was very impressed. We waited about 15 minutes for the shuttle.

I don't know how much HAL charges for their transfers from the airport to Canada Place (where the ships are docked), but you may do better getting a taxi. Taxi rates from the Vancouver airport (YVR) are set at a fixed rate. The fare to Canada Place is CAD 35.00 (about USD 28.00) Unless you are paying HAL USD 14 - 15 or less per person for your shuttle, you would be better off taking a taxi. (Plus, there's no waiting around time for a bus to fill up -- the taxi goes as soon as you get in.)

You can do a Google search for the zone fare map to see for yourself.

If you use the HAL shuttle, you don’t have to tip the baggage porters, do you?

If not, the cost might be same - cab fare + cab tip + baggage portor tip.

If you tip the baggage portors, how much is appropriate, per bag?

DD

Sorry if this hijacks your thread...

We have decided against the HAL transfer, opting to save some money, and use either the skytrain or a limo (still cheaper than HAL transfer) for our party of 8. Is the skytrain user friendly for 80 year olds, how much walking involved?

Sorry if this hijacks your thread...

We have decided against the HAL transfer, opting to save some money, and use either the skytrain or a limo (still cheaper than HAL transfer) for our party of 8. Is the skytrain user friendly for 80 year olds, how much walking involved?

We have used the Skytrain several times. The walk from the downtown station to the pier is about 10 minutes (4-5 short blocks). Not bad, but you do have to cart your luggage, which can be a bit cumbersome, even on the Skytrain. When I took my 85 year old Mother I did not even consider the Skytrain, as I knew it would be too much for her (and I am all about saving money!). We ended up using the HAL transfer, but if I had to do it over again I would just get a taxi (price controlled by the way).

HAL fees, according to my quote are $58pp, round-trip.

So, for two people, that's US$116 compared to C$70 for a taxi (both round trip). I would definitely take the taxi. For Americans, who currently get a 20+% discount on the CAD, it's quite a deal!!!

I am also one who takes a taxi with my 80+ DM. I can't handle both her luggage and mine on the skytrain. Taxi costs more but is so worth it. Take the taxis or limo for your party of 8.

I don't think so. I am sure more would be taking the transfer if it was free. Sorry, we have always had to pay.:(

Not always. We got free transfers with our hotel package (which was also free via a HAL promotion for suites).