first time cruise; How does dining appt work

tradosaurus

Depends on your cruise ship and if it’s formal night or not. For Carnival, that is your dining room time for seated dinner. Not all nights are formal, the other nights you can wear jeans and a nice shirt. If you want to eat at the buffet for dinner you can anytime, you don’t have to eat in the dining room.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you have a set dining time for the MDR, you're pretty much expected to be there at that time. You can't pop into the Anytime Dining Room, that's not allowed. You may eat elsewhere at any time, like the buffet or specialty restaurant. It's just nice to give prior notice to your wait staff and table mates, if you have any, so they won't needlessly wait for you before ordering.

If you don't like your assigned time, see the Maitre'D after boarding to possibly get re-assigned to a time or venue more palatable to you..

You do have the option of eating at other venues in the ship like the Buffet at any normal dinner time (Like 6 to 10pm for dinner), but if you choose to eat in the main dining room for a sit down dinner, you will arrive at your scheduled time in your assigned dining room. Depending on the ship, there may be several other free choices, you do not have to eat in the MDR at your specified dining time.

If you eat in the main dining room, dress is casual. Polo type shirt and slacks for guys and pants and blouse for gals. NO t-shirts or shorts! Yes..it's sit down and order from menu. Food is VERY good and different each night. Formal night is shirt and tie for men, dress for women. Don't need fancy ball gown or tux.

The food is the best part of the cruise. It's already paid for and you can order as much as you want. Try things you've never had. Don't like it, just send it back and order something else. People do it all the time.

If you don't like your dining time, you can change it after boarding the ship.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Forums mobile app

If you eat in the main dining room, dress is casual. Polo type shirt and slacks for guys and pants and blouse for gals. NO t-shirts or shorts! Yes..it's sit down and order from menu. Food is VERY good and different each night. Formal night is shirt and tie for men, dress for women. Don't need fancy ball gown or tux.

The food is the best part of the cruise. It's already paid for and you can order as much as you want. Try things you've never had. Don't like it, just send it back and order something else. People do it all the time.

If you don't like your dining time, you can change it after boarding the ship.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Forums mobile app

Where did you get your dress code info?

You can definitely wear shorts on casual nights and no tie is required for elegant nights. Also, women are not required to wear a dress.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I was wondering the same thing. I always wear nice shorts and a Hawaiian type shirt to the MDR. I wear slacks and a nice shirt for elegant night. I have not even brought a jacket and tie for years. I do agree the food in the MDR is good, steak house is much better and we do not eat dinner at the buffet, ever.

You can definitely wear shorts on casual nights and no tie is required for elegant nights. Also, women are not required to wear a dress.

We are so over wearing formal wear, and don’t even bring dressy clothes any longer. Hubby prefers his khaki shorts and polos. I wear a sundress. The most formal he gets for formal night will be khaki pants and perhaps a button down shirt. I also wear Capri pants to MDR.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No sense in getting your shorts in a knot! Geez! I guess I'm not the expert like you!

Have a 2015 hrs dining time. Do you have to eat at this time or can you eat somewhere else on the ship?

I'm assuming the dining time is for sit down dining? Is it formal?

Thanks

Not formal for most and yea you can eat where you please.

Yes the dress code is confusing. The couple we are travelling with said that jeans aren't allowed ever and on formal nights it has to be suit/jacket/dresses. Guess I will keep researching!

Main Dining Room(s)

Following is the dress code in the Main Dining Room(s) for both men and women and pertains to children as well:

Cruise Casual Dress Code

• Men: sport slacks, khakis, Jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long) and collared polo shirts
  • Women: summer dresses, casual skirts, pants, capris, dress shorts, Jeans (no cut-offs) blouses and tops
  • Not permitted: Cut-off Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

• Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo
  • Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown
  • Not permitted: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Cruise Elegant Evenings / Formal Nights

The length of the cruise determines the number of 'Cruise Elegant' evenings in the Dining Room. The first 'Cruise Elegant' evening is scheduled for the second or third evening of the cruise and the second 'Cruise Elegant' evening is the second or third evening prior to the end of the cruise, itinerary schedule permitting.

• 2-day to 5-day cruise: one Cruise Elegant evening
  • 6-day or longer cruise: two Cruise Elegant evenings

Yes the dress code is confusing. The couple we are travelling with said that jeans aren't allowed ever and on formal nights it has to be suit/jacket/dresses. Guess I will keep researching!

Your friends are wrong in both cases. Jeans are allowed in the MDR on non Elegant nights. Suit and jacket are never required. I have not brought a jacket or tie for many years

So if we're booked for a 7 day cruise we need to do a formal dress-up TWICE? Taking the wind out of my sails.

There's no more "formal night" ......... "cruise elegant" is very, very casual. If you want to dress up you still can but fancy clothing isn't necessary.

So if you have "reservations" for 6pm/early dining then you won't have to wait for a table but anytime dining there's quite a wait??

If you are referring to reservations as assigned dining, which you said was 2015 (8:15), you will also be assigned a specific dining room and a table or booth to dine at. Every day, you will go to the same table or booth and dine with the same people. With Your Time Dining, you check in, tell the person at the entrance how many in your party, if you want a certain waiter or area, then wait until they take you to your table. If it's already full, they will give you a pager and you will wait until they call you. Depending on the time of day, you may have a long wait or you may walk right in.

So if you have "reservations" for 6pm/early dining then you won't have to wait for a table but anytime dining there's quite a wait??

Typically there is no wait or a very small wait. But it could be longer if you have a large party or if you go at the peak time.