Tipping for a pillow

I would never consider tipping upfront for basic amenities. I have a small list of basic requests that I give to the attendant. ( Ice 2X daily, 2 extra bath towels, extra box of tissue, etc.) I don't consider these special requests at all.

With that said, generally are provided excellent service and most often we tip a bit extra at the end of the cruise.

M

Exactly what is "above and beyond" and "exceptional service"? When did "tipping" before a service is rendered become normal? Why do so many people brag that they tip, and how much? Why is this even discussed?

All I expect and usually almost always get is a stateroom that get cleaned daily, bed made, floor vacuumed and any towels we leave on the floor replaced, and the hanging towels left alone. In the evening the bed turned, down, and any touch up's in the room needed. Maybe a towel animal, but that's just a cruise touch. Getting an extra pillow, towel etc, are nothing more than standard requests. Saying hi to you as you pass, is just common human courtesy. So what would they do that is "above and beyond"? :confused:

We always tip at the beginning of the cruise and asked for ice extra pillows and additional blanket and make sure we get upgraded toiletries as we are diamond and we have always gotten great service. What I have noticed though is that all the cabin attendants you may not see during the week all Hang out in the hallways lurking on the last night of the cruise is anybody else noticed this this sometimes makes me feel uncomfortable in your One thing I was told it was to fill out the wow survey they get raises based upon the surveys

Exactly what is "above and beyond" and "exceptional service"? When did "tipping" before a service is rendered become normal? Why do so many people brag that they tip, and how much? Why is this even discussed?

All I expect and usually almost always get is a stateroom that get cleaned daily, bed made, floor vacuumed and any towels we leave on the floor replaced, and the hanging towels left alone. In the evening the bed turned, down, and any touch up's in the room needed. Maybe a towel animal, but that's just a cruise touch. Getting an extra pillow, towel etc, are nothing more than standard requests. Saying hi to you as you pass, is just common human courtesy. So what would they do that is "above and beyond"? :confused:

Not really above and beyond because we've never asked for anything in that category .

A simple example though - A good cabin attendant will provide items I request when I leave a note. Perhaps the soap bar is getting small, so I'll leave a note for another bar. A better attendant will be proactive, see the soap is getting small and will leave another bar or two without my having to ask. Not above and beyond by any means - but in my opinion little things separate good from better or excellent attendants.

We've never had what I would consider a bad cabin attendant. Some are better than others.

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

We always tip at the beginning of the cruise and asked for ice extra pillows and additional blanket and make sure we get upgraded toiletries as we are diamond and we have always gotten great service. What I have noticed though is that all the cabin attendants you may not see during the week all Hang out in the hallways lurking on the last night of the cruise is anybody else noticed this this sometimes makes me feel uncomfortable in your One thing I was told it was to fill out the wow survey they get raises based upon the surveys

Per RCCL website, Upgraded bathroom amenities start at Diamond Plus WITH 340 points and above. If you are indeed Diamond ( as written in your post) and request and receive those benefits to which you are not entitles, then you might consider offering your cabin attendant an extra tip for breaking the rules and getting you these items. If you are eligible for the items you request then why the extra tip just to get a standard benefit.

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

I agree with most posters, here. We never tip ahead of time. Paying up front kind of reminds me of the jerk that's sits at the bar and tells the bartender "take care of me, I tip big". Completely tasteless.

Agree that vocalizing as you describe “take care of me:eek:”is boorish. Ignorance or perhaps a bit of little man syndrome:confused:, but what you describe IMO seems more designed to impress fellow guests vs express an appreciation of good service.

Ask anyone who has ever worked as a server, your tip is noticed. There is absolutely no need to point it out. Interesting phenom is most who have worked in the hospitality industry are generous, even over-tippers, having walked the walk.

We cruise Anthem over Christmas. Mom has trouble with the heavy duvet so we always ask for hers to be removed and a plain blanket substituted. Always ask for a couple of extra pillows (one for me to keep my shoulder up, her under her knees), and always for a couple of extra bath towels (since 2 are just not enough for us). Asked first time we met the cabin steward.

Got the pillows and the blanket changed out, but had to ask a few times for the extra bath towels (after the first time, he didn't replace the extras so we ended up short). Got a few deliveries of treats and fruit for mom being D+, but he simply left the plates in the room, and they didn't get taken away until I brought them out into the hall (and they were obviously done).

The one thing that irked me...we had a bottle of wine from my agency, along with 2 wine glasses. The glasses ended up clearly used by the 2nd day (but the wine untouched). Our steward simply did not change them out for clean glasses. Left the dirty ones on the top of the dresser all week. Should I have asked? Maybe. But as part of his job, I think he should see them used and replace them, just like replacing used towels or tissues or toilet paper. I don't think that's something that requires a special conversation.

We keep our room neat (I'm obsessive about straightening out the bed before we leave the room) and don't leave a mess. I will not tip in advance, since to me, that's not required. Our requests were simple and in line with their job. I just didn't feel like he went above and beyond so the auto tips were sufficient.

We're pretty self-sufficient and I don't recall any special request other than ice once a day, which the steward actually did twice a day. I tip extra on the last night. It's sad that I feel obligated to tip extra based on the fact that I know there are always going to be people that don't tip at all, but that always sticks in the back of my mind because of comments I see here and the fact that when my SIL would cruise with us, he would short change his tip, excluding tipping for my Grandson when he was a small child. We had several heated discussions with him about the fact that the steward had to pull down the pullman every night, make up an extra bed, provide extra linens, etc...same as an adult passenger. We always had to sneak and add the additional cash to the envelope (old days) and seal it to make sure they got the tips they deserved.

That was very good of you.

Your SIL sounds like a tightwad with no conscience.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

The only time i have ever tipped extra,( except at the end of the cruise), was on a longer cruise when I asked if I could have an additional lounger for our larger balcony and when it was delivered, I tipped on the spot.

I think things like ice, pillows, towels fall into the areas of normal responsibility.

And, I'm not a fan of pre-tipping. I think it looks like a bribe - kind of like the tacky stuff that used to go on in Vegas at shows. ( And maybe still does - haven't been to Vegas in years! LOL)

On our recent Radiance cruise we were left a letter explaining that the suite attendant was getting $6.50 per person per day from our pre-paid gratuity. So, he was getting $26 USD per day for around thirty minutes work on our cabin per day, plus much less than five minutes on our share of the hallway per day. I'll be generous and assume he spent thirty minutes on our share of things completely hidden to us too (although, if so then he wasn't working enough hours to service all of his rooms to an equal standard). To me, this seemed like beyond generous remuneration.

Whilst he was generally friendly eventually, he made the mistake of starting the meet and great with an argument and so sealed his fate at that moment in terms of our paying him anything extra - if I could have paid him nothing at all that would have been my choice.

Paying extra for a pillow here would have fallen in the "you've got to be joking" category even had the attendant been World-class; which he most assuredly was not.

There was an article in the local paper in the last few days lamenting the tipping culture of one of our Government departments. In the example give the department had paid $50 in total over a one year period; so, by standards here, nothing at all. People are outraged since it's never necessary to tip, and to do so is a waste of taxpayers' money.

I typically, pun intended, bring a bunch of $1 bills and a few $5’s. If we ask for something extra, we’ll usually tip up to $5 depending on how many requests we’ve made and if they deliver. My wife hand writes a thank you note and leaves it with the tip. This is not prepaying or bribing, but since it’s usually on the first day it does demonstrate that we will reward extra good service.

We think the prepaid tips are not enough for the great service we mostly get so we’re always prepared to tip a little at the end. But, that’s totally at the tipper’s discretion!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Tacky? Tasteless? I rather doubt the attendant feels this way, its money in their pocket and that's all they care about. Do they pay more attention? Some do, some don't. I say this with confidence as a friend who worked the ships told me. While some may not want to do this for whatever reason, its not wrong by any means.

Having said that, we pre-tip as well. I do it simply because I may not always be there when they do something extra for us. An example of that would be a few years ago we were traveling as a family, my son brought a girl friend with him. Her birthday was during the cruise. I told the attendant about this and asked if he could do something to mark the day. He certainly did along with a towel birthday cake he made that was amazing.

No one has to pre-tip if they don't want to, no problem. Wait till the end and see if you feel they did enough to warrant it, no problem. Don't tip extra, no problem. Just don't judge others if they do. If the attendant is slipped a tip from me, or anyone for that matter, no one needs to feel the attendant will be offended. Trust me, he/she won't.

Tacky? Tasteless? I rather doubt the attendant feels this way, its money in their pocket and that's all they care about. Do they pay more attention? Some do, some don't. I say this with confidence as a friend who worked the ships told me. While some may not want to do this for whatever reason, its not wrong by any means.

Having said that, we pre-tip as well. I do it simply because I may not always be there when they do something extra for us. An example of that would be a few years ago we were traveling as a family, my son brought a girl friend with him. Her birthday was during the cruise. I told the attendant about this and asked if he could do something to mark the day. He certainly did along with a towel birthday cake he made that was amazing.

No one has to pre-tip if they don't want to, no problem. Wait till the end and see if you feel they did enough to warrant it, no problem. Don't tip extra, no problem. Just don't judge others if they do. If the attendant is slipped a tip from me, or anyone for that matter, no one needs to feel the attendant will be offended. Trust me, he/she won't.

Thanks for the inside info.

No-one has ever refused a tip from me.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

You will get what you ask for regardless of tipping ahead of time. To me, this is insulting the room steward. Kind of like a bribe. "here is a $20..make sure I get what I ask for". What happens if he/she sucks? Do you ask for your $20 back?

OP, if you feel your cabin steward goes above and beyond, you may tip accordingly if you so choose.

Getting you a pillow or extra towels is all part of their standard duties. I'm not a believer in "pre-tipping"...feels like a bribe instead of a "Thank you".

On the last night of the cruise, you can extend extra for those you feel did "extra" for you. The last evening is the traditional and customary time to tip on a cruise.

I totally agree. Giving money up front is a bribe, not a tip. Nice gesture, but it has nothing to do with tipping for service well-done - we don't know if the service will be well-done or not if we tip in advance.

Our adage is to tip early, often, and well. We don't consider that a bribe, we consider it is the key to getting superior service.

...which is another word for a bribe :-) - "persuade (someone) to act in one's favor by a gift of money or other inducement." I never bribe in advance and feel like I have gotten great service.

Edited by frugaltravel

I once had the same experience as Katiel 53. The one and only time that I pre tipped ($20, and might have increased that at the end), was the only time that I ever had bad service. Never pre tipped again!

Now I tip extra at the end of the cruise, according to the service we receive.

Wish I would have thought of the advice to have $20 removed from my seapass at the end of that cruise!

RocketMan275; "Our adage is to tip early, often, and well. We don't consider that a bribe, we consider it is the key to getting superior service.

...which is another word for a bribe :-) - "persuade (someone) to act in one's favor by a gift of money or other inducement." I never bribe in advance and feel like I have gotten great service.

We enjoy sharing with those who serve us and we see no reason to limit how often we tip or when we tip. We really don't care if you think it is a "bribe", tipping early, often, and well works very well for us.

I'm always amazed at the vitriol that the topic of tipping brings out in people. These types of posts should be banned. We are spending thousands of dollars on a vacation...nothing wrong with doing something nice for someone who makes pennies in comparison.

I'm always amazed at the vitriol that the topic of tipping brings out in people. These types of posts should be banned. We are spending thousands of dollars on a vacation...nothing wrong with doing something nice for someone who makes pennies in comparison.

I agree posts like yours should be banned/removed. :rolleyes:

On our recent Radiance cruise we were left a letter explaining that the suite attendant was getting $6.50 per person per day from our pre-paid gratuity. So, he was getting $26 USD per day for around thirty minutes work on our cabin per day, plus much less than five minutes on our share of the hallway per day. I'll be generous and assume he spent thirty minutes on our share of things completely hidden to us too (although, if so then he wasn't working enough hours to service all of his rooms to an equal standard). To me, this seemed like beyond generous remuneration.

Whilst he was generally friendly eventually, he made the mistake of starting the meet and great with an argument and so sealed his fate at that moment in terms of our paying him anything extra - if I could have paid him nothing at all that would have been my choice.

Paying extra for a pillow here would have fallen in the "you've got to be joking" category even had the attendant been World-class; which he most assuredly was not.

Depending on Suite Size and how many in cabin makes the difference. I stayed in 2bd/2bath Suite on 2 nite BOS/FLL Repo last yr on Serenade, now that attendant had to work harder then smaller Suite... Not sure if Tipping is different in your experience where you're from and traveled. Here in USA I waited tables 30+ yrs ago. Back then I'd make $2.35 hr base pay, but my tips would equal usually $100 for 5 hrs work. This all in US dollars. Waiters in USA make less then minimum wage, tips are to make up for lower wages.... I tip at end of cruise and wouldn't for extra pillows...

My cabin attendant on Allure last year was AMAZING! Both my roommate and myself use mobility scooters. I would SWEAR he could hear it whenever one of us was getting off of an elevator and would be at our cabin to open the door for us. I would SWEAR that if I simply opened my cabin door and whispered his name he would come running. He brought us both bathrobes and brought my roommate an extra blanket. I also ask for ice twice a day. It seemed like he always knew what we needed before WE knew it. I've also traveled after a recent wrist surgery and had to ice my arm regularly. Evey day my cabin attendant would leave a huge laundry bag full of ice in our bathroom sink for me so I could use it to fill zip lock bag. Since I know that most cabins don't get ice twice daily, I do feel like this is a little something "extra." I also tend to tip when I ask for these things. I don't think it's a bribe. It's my way of saying "I know I'm asking you to do a little more, and I appreciate it."

We have only been on one cruise that we didn’t tip extra to our room attendant. If I have to request something several times...That’s not the level of service I expect from RCCL. All the other of our cruises provided above the normal room service. We also tip extra to our Waiters, Asst Waiters and our favorite Bar Tenders.

Sent from my iPad using Forums