Tipping for a pillow

I have prepaid my gratuities and plan to leave extra at the end if the cabin service is great. So, if I ask for something special (like an extra pillow), I feel like a heal if I don't tip. Thoughts?

Not for something that small unless you want to.

When I first meet our cabin attendant, I give him/her a $20. That is to cover any special requests the rest of the cruise. This is, of course, in addition to the gratuities.

I always get what I ask for and never feel bad asking...

You will get what you ask for regardless of tipping ahead of time. To me, this is insulting the room steward. Kind of like a bribe. "here is a $20..make sure I get what I ask for". What happens if he/she sucks? Do you ask for your $20 back?

OP, if you feel your cabin steward goes above and beyond, you may tip accordingly if you so choose.

You will get what you ask for regardless of tipping ahead of time. To me, this is insulting the room steward. Kind of like a bribe. "here is a $20..make sure I get what I ask for". What happens if he/she sucks? Do you ask for your $20 back?

OP, if you feel your cabin steward goes above and beyond, you may tip accordingly if you so choose.

Agree. I have never felt bad about asking for something that would be within their duties. Other than brining ice twice a day anything else we request is a one time request.

Edited by davekathy

Land & Sea have observed very ugly treatment/insults hurled at resort/cruise staff by guests. Have a feeling they consider the source and accept these sort of rude behaviors as part of the job.

IMO Offering $20 upfront with an accompanying smile, likely is very much a nuther thing & greatly appreciated by those who rely upon tips to supplement their salary.

i, too, tip $20 at the beginning, kinda of a nice to meet you, look forward to spending the week with you, even if I dont need anything other than opening the connecting door. Does it make them more friendly and willing to assist should I need more? Maybe...but even if they sucked, I wouldnt ask for it back - I would likely not give more at the end and, depending on the level of suckiness, might elevate to guest services if need be.

Getting you a pillow or extra towels is all part of their standard duties. I'm not a believer in "pre-tipping"...feels like a bribe instead of a "Thank you".

On the last night of the cruise, you can extend extra for those you feel did "extra" for you. The last evening is the traditional and customary time to tip on a cruise.

Getting you a pillow or extra towels is all part of their standard duties. I'm not a believer in "pre-tipping"...feels like a bribe instead of a "Thank you".

On the last night of the cruise, you can extend extra for those you feel did "extra" for you. The last evening is the traditional and customary time to tip on a cruise.

I wish CC had a "Like" button.

We do the same thing as Cb at Sea. I asked for 2 extra pillows last cruise and they were delivered promptly. As usual, we tipped our cabin steward extra on the last day.

I wish CC had a "Like" button.

We do the same thing as Cb at Sea. I asked for 2 extra pillows last cruise and they were delivered promptly. As usual, we tipped our cabin steward extra on the last day.

We never tip ahead and always ask for extra pillows and ice twice a day. 9 out of 10 times, the Room Attendant does an outstanding job, and we tip extra at the end of the cruise.

When I first meet our cabin attendant, I give him/her a $20. That is to cover any special requests the rest of the cruise. This is, of course, in addition to the gratuities.

This is what we do as well. It's easy and for me I tip anyone who does something for me.

I ask for an extra large towel nightly and ice morning and night. I tip extra at the end of the cruise. One time when traveling with another couple, our steward came to introduce himself while our friends, who were in the next cabin, were in our cabin. Our friend asked if our steward was also his. The steward answered affirmatively.

Our friend tipped the steward $20 right then and there and we didn't want to seem cheap, so my husband tipped also. That was the first and last time we did that as this steward was the absolute worst we have ever had on any cruise.

I don't feel that it's a bribe giving the steward money in advance, just feel it's foolish to do so because there's no guarantee my service will be any better than the cabin next door that didn't tip in advance.

I ask for an extra large towel nightly and ice morning and night. I tip extra at the end of the cruise. One time when traveling with another couple, our steward came to introduce himself while our friends, who were in the next cabin, were in our cabin. Our friend asked if our steward was also his. The steward answered affirmatively.

Our friend tipped the steward $20 right then and there and we didn't want to seem cheap, so my husband tipped also. That was the first and last time we did that as this steward was the absolute worst we have ever had on any cruise.

I don't feel that it's a bribe giving the steward money in advance, just feel it's foolish to do so because there's no guarantee my service will be any better than the cabin next door that didn't tip in advance.

Your friend tried to buy priority over you right in front of your face, in your room. Wow. Tacky

So go to Guest Services and remove the $20 gratuity from the normal amount given. Then you are square!

As long as you tip the suggested amounts and don't make extraordinary requests, then don't feel like a heal. Asking for an extra pillow to me doesn't seem like an out of line request.

Beyond tipping the suggested amounts, to me giving an extra tip is a personal choice. There is no right or wrong answer.

We don't make many special requests but if we did, I would not feel obliged to pay a tip on each occasion. Plus I never pre-tip. For me a tip is always given in appreciation of services delivered and never in anticipation.

I do tip extra at end of the cruise in appreciation. Often on the final night in case I don't get to see them the following morning.

This is what we do as well. It's easy and for me I tip anyone who does something for me.

I do that too as i think it is an appreciation as well as saying thank you to them.

In 45 cruises i have never asked for ice but several times asked for a kettle if we are in a balcony cabin and not a JS and other than the cruises on Harmony our CS has always obliged.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

I'm surprised that when the CS knew you were generous people he was bad.

I would think this was an exception by someone who didn't like his job.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Not for something that small unless you want to.

Not to hijack your thread but what's small? To me it would be to go to the fridge, pull out the beer and open the lid -- many tip $1 for that (even if they are on the deluxe drink package which is already pre-tipped). Isn't that part of his job?

In any case, do what you feel is right. If you feel bad for not tipping..then tip.

I'm on the side of tipping for good service at the end, versus up front.

So go to Guest Services and remove the $20 gratuity from the normal amount given. Then you are square!

You can't do that. You may add additional gratuity, but you can't remove a portion of them. Your only options are to remove them entirely, or add to one or more of them.

We're pretty self-sufficient and I don't recall any special request other than ice once a day, which the steward actually did twice a day. I tip extra on the last night. It's sad that I feel obligated to tip extra based on the fact that I know there are always going to be people that don't tip at all, but that always sticks in the back of my mind because of comments I see here and the fact that when my SIL would cruise with us, he would short change his tip, excluding tipping for my Grandson when he was a small child. We had several heated discussions with him about the fact that the steward had to pull down the pullman every night, make up an extra bed, provide extra linens, etc...same as an adult passenger. We always had to sneak and add the additional cash to the envelope (old days) and seal it to make sure they got the tips they deserved.

I always get what I ask for and never feel bad asking...

Our adage is to tip early, often, and well. We don't consider that a bribe, we consider it is the key to getting superior service.