Carnival Credit Card saved us big $

RRush1969

Went on first cruise in 2007, and got the Carnival CC offered on the ship. My wife and I have used it since then, and have never paid a dime of interest, as we pay it off each month. We charge everything we can. We are cruising in June, and it saved us over half of the price of our cruise this time (saving points for the past 3 years). When I cashed in the points, it took only 2 Days to show up as a credit on our account. I highly recommend if you are able to pay off, and avoid the high interest rate. It’s been a great way to save money on cruising for us.

Went on first cruise in 2007, and got the Carnival CC offered on the ship. My wife and I have used it since then, and have never paid a dime of interest, as we pay it off each month. We charge everything we can. We are cruising in June, and it saved us over half of the price of our cruise this time (saving points for the past 3 years). When I cashed in the points, it took only 2 Days to show up as a credit on our account. I highly recommend if you are able to pay off, and avoid the high interest rate. It’s been a great way to save money on cruising for us.

Same here. I saved up the 100,000 points to get the better redemption rate, booked a $1,500 cruise, and let the points pay for all of it. Working on my next 100k I’m at like 7k already. I think they gave me double points on that 1,500 so that was a quick 3k points without me spending any actual money.

Now...time for everyone to tell us how their card is better.

There are other cards that give a higher percentage back than Carnival’s in the form of cash. The advantage of using the other cards is that the rewards are cash and can be used for anything, not just Carnival. With the varieties out there, you’ll find that you will rack up the points quicker. I.e. there are cards that give 2% back on everything. other cards that give 3% on groceries/restaurants...

Of course, as mentioned above, you have to pay in full each month because the interest wipes out the benefit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They also credit 10% of your pre-booked excursion price if you use their card. We just did this for our next cruise - used it not only for our excursions, but for our friends (added their booking to my login). Plus, we get double points for the purchase. The credit showed up within 2 days of the purchase.

We find the Costco Visa to be a better choice for us. The rewards are far better than other branded cards, and the rewards come as cash - I don't have to spend the rewards with any particular company. We earn around $400 per year in cash with this card, all free money. Not one cent paid in interest or annual fees.

4% back on gas, 3% back on travel (hotels, cruises, flights, etc) and restaurants (yes taco bell and hardee's count), 2% back at Costco, 1% back everywhere else.

My problem with a lot of cards is they give you points, not anything that's easily relatable. With the Costco card, 3% back on travel means with a $1000 cruise ticket I earn $30 in cash. For a $1000 cruise ticket with the Carnival card, how much do you earn in rewards? How much does that 1000 points or however many actually earn you in terms of actual cash value?

The Carnival CC isn't really all that good - $100 initial signup, 2% on CCL purchases, and 1% off everything else. Plus the points are only good for a cruise(!).

There are numerous cards (Capital One Quicksilver, HSBC Cash Rewards, etc) that offer $150 signup bonus and 1.5% on everything, and allow you to use the "points" (cash!) for anything.

As for me, I have a CC from a credit union that I get 5% on the first $1000/month. That's $600 per year I can spend anywhere. When I get above a $1000 in a month I switch to my Citi Double Cash card. Paid off in full every month of course.

So yeah, I think my CC is better than the CCL one....

The Carnival CC isn't really all that good - $100 initial signup, 2% on CCL purchases, and 1% off everything else. Plus the points are only good for a cruise(!).

There are numerous cards (Capital One Quicksilver, HSBC Cash Rewards, etc) that offer $150 signup bonus and 1.5% on everything, and allow you to use the "points" (cash!) for anything.

As for me, I have a CC from a credit union that I get 5% on the first $1000/month. That's $600 per year I can spend anywhere. When I get above a $1000 in a month I switch to my Citi Double Cash card. Paid off in full every month of course.

So yeah, I think my CC is better than the CCL one....

How can I get in on 5% for $1000/mo? What credit union?

Yeah I don't see the point in the Carnival card. Just get a 2% card. 100,000 points would be worth $2k. Save up the points and redeem for cash and then pay for your cruise.

Hey if you've got a card that gives you 2% on everything with no annual fee, I'll use it.

Hey if you've got a card that gives you 2% on everything with no annual fee, I'll use it.

The Citi Double Cash card.

There is no right answer for everyone. But most would do best with just a simple 2% no-annual card like the Double Cash.

I personally use 3 cards. I have the Double Cash for personal, then Capital One Spark 2% for most business expenses and an AMEX Platinum for some business expenses and mostly for travel (the travel benefits are killer on AMEX Plat).

Glad it worked well for you. It's always nice to save money!

The Citi Double Cash card.

To be pedantic, the Citi Double Cash offers 1.99%, not 2.00% (e.g. 1% off $100 purchase is $1.00 leaving $99, 1% of $99 is 99¢, so total reward is 1.99% on $100 spent).

Yeah I know. picky, picky, picky....

To be pedantic, the Citi Double Cash offers 1.99%, not 2.00% (e.g. 1% off $100 purchase is $1.00 leaving $99, 1% of $99 is 99¢, so total reward is 1.99% on $100 spent).

It's not 1% OFF the purchase, it's 1% EARNED on the purchase. So it's not 1% of what's left... the purchase price stays the same when you earn for purchasing and when you pay it off.

How can I get in on 5% for $1000/mo? What credit union?

It's a SEG-based (Select Employee Group) one in our area that caters to members of a local manufacturer. You're not eligible based on your location.

Edited by LostPuppy

It's not 1% OFF the purchase, it's 1% EARNED on the purchase. So it's not 1% of what's left... the purchase price stays the same when you earn for purchasing and when you pay it off.

Well you can believe what you want, but here's a mathematical analysis of the card. (note they say the rate is actually 1.9803921568627450%). https://www.doctorofcredit.com/citi-double-cash-2-00-1-98-mathematical-analysis/

Well you can believe what you want, but here's a mathematical analysis of the card. (note they say the rate is actually 1.9803921568627450%). https://www.doctorofcredit.com/citi-double-cash-2-00-1-98-mathematical-analysis/

Or, you can just get a direct deposit or check instead of using it as a statement credit..... Now you know. ;)

Again, it's not 1% OFF... it's 1% earned. If you lower your balance by using a statement credit, then yes, your payment will be less and you earn less. But why would you do that?

We have an generally use out Amazon Prime Signature Visa for the 5% back on Amazon purchases. It also does 2% for some other stuff and 1% on everything else. We spend way to much on Amazon but it did basically pay for our cruise this year. I also put major electronics on a Citi Double Cash card for price rewind (matches a lower price in 60 days) feature and the 2 year extended manufacturer warranty.

We have an generally use out Amazon Prime Signature Visa for the 5% back on Amazon purchases. It also does 2% for some other stuff and 1% on everything else. We spend way to much on Amazon but it did basically pay for our cruise this year. I also put major electronics on a Citi Double Cash card for price rewind (matches a lower price in 60 days) feature and the 2 year extended manufacturer warranty.

Your better reward cards will have an annual fee but you still come out way ahead. I use Capital one venture for everything. We get 2% back on everything if we use purchase eraser which we do. Easy to use and we generally rack up $2000 to $2500 a year in free travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How does it compare to other loyalty cards or even cash back credit cards? We have the Alaska Airlines credit card and get lots of free flights. Flew our family of 5 to Europe of the west coast 2 years ago and already have enough points to go back.

Another vote for Cap One Venture. Double points all the time not to mention the generous sign on bonus.

Cap One Venture has a $95 annual fee... You would need to be a heavy spender to come out ahead of the no annual fee 2% cards. You actually have to spend about $4800/year just to break even.

People really need to do the math to determine which card works best for them.