Alaskan cruise

grammyto6

We went to Alaska around the same time of year; it was in the low 60s during the day. I would pack a warm coat, but with the ability to dress in layers. Also bring rain gear and comfortable shoes. Dress tends to be pretty informal on land as well as on the ship (we took Princess).

If you're going to Glacier Bay, note that it can be significantly cooler. We put a thermometer on the balcony--it was showing 49 degrees in the morning.

Hope that helps a bit. - Musing About Cruising

We are taking our first Alaskan land/cruise May 20-31. I am really struggling as to what I should pack. Any tips?

Welcome to Cruise Critic. there is a board here for Alaska, under Ports of Call. Lots of folk there can help you out. EM

We are taking our first Alaskan land/cruise May 20-31. I am really struggling as to what I should pack. Any tips?

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Packing for Alaska requires layers that can be removed when the weather warms while you are on excursions.

I have been to Alaska many times in May and my packing list includes:

UnderArmour 1.0 Basic lightweight underwear for riding on high-speed whale watching excursions. Add warm pants, long-sleeved shirts, cardigan sweater (easily removed when not needed), long weatherproof jacket, gloves that allow you to use a camera, hat, lightweight backpack with rain poncho inside, a refillable water bottle, and weatherproof shoes (use a waterproofing spray if needed). I also bring two USB hand warmers for especially cold days when I need warm hands to make camera adjustments. Leave your long coat and boots at home.

I send my clothes to the ship's laundry frequently so I only pack for 3-4 days.

Most ships in Alaska are very informal and you will never see your fellow passengers again, so don't worry about offending anyone with what you wear. Mix and match clothing with a common color: brown, blue, grey, etc.

Enjoy your cruise planning. Once you have been to Alaska you will want to return to see all that you missed the first time.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

As mentioned the Alaska Ports Of Call has lots of information.

The key is to layer:

Some recommendations:

Waterproof Jacket with Hood

Fleece or Sweater or Sweatshirt

Long Pants and if you have one waterproof pair I would bring it.

If your itinerary including cruising Glacier Bay I would bring a scarf, hat and gloves but if not

then at least a hat.

A couple of pairs of shoes such as sports shoes and if you have waterproof shoes that is good too.

Keith

Layers! The weather can change constantly.

My must have Alaska packing list:

goretex hooded jacket/rain pants

goretex hiking boots

wool or fleece vest, wool or fleece pullover

wool or fleece gloves, hat, neck gaiter/scarf

Under Armor-like long sleeve zipneck shirts, UA tshirts, jeans (many will disagree, but an Alaska cruise just screams for jeans/fleece vest/goretex jacket for me), quick dry travel pants, nylon travel shirts.

I see you're from MS. You'll want to look at average highs and lows for the ports and plan accordingly. 60F are shorts weather in MN, but I'm guessing not so much in MSclear.png?emoji-grin-1677 (it's 7F as I type this) I'd also suggest waiting for your first port and buying a fleece vest. Get one with an eagle/Alaska state flag/a bear embroidered on it. They're pretty cheap, and you'll have a useful souvenir. I take a fleece vest on every trip, regardless of destination or time of year.

We don't bother with formal anymore. Alaska cruises are port intensive and pretty casual. I'd rather spend more time in a port town than rush back to the ship to dress for dinner.

Free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it. Enjoy your cruise.