Passport Card

Greysea74

That's also the only difference between boarding with a birth certificate and driver's license vs a passport.

IMO, the passport card is a waste of money unless you cruise frequently or live near a border. A passport has value because you can use it to fly internationally. A birth certificate has value because it's a budget option for cruising. I personally don't see the value in paying for a passport card when it provides no more benefits than a birth certificate.

^ This ^

Either spend the money for the safety of a passport, or stick with the much cheaper birth certificate option (and potentially get stuck if you need to fly back in an emergency). The passport card has very little value for its cost.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

What is a passport card ?

It is a small plastic card issued by the State Department that may be used in place of the passport for land and sea ports of entry into the US. It costs substantially less than a passport and works well for people who have no need to travel internationally. I live 8 miles from the Canadian border and know several members in my community that have them because the only travel they'll ever do is cross that border regularly.

^ This ^

Either spend the money for the safety of a passport, or stick with the much cheaper birth certificate option (and potentially get stuck if you need to fly back in an emergency). The passport card has very little value for its cost.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

"Stuck" is rather a strong term. "Delayed" is more appropriate and the amount of the delay will depend on the circumstances. The State Department can waive the passport requirements for an emergency or for humanitarian reasons. Also, one needs to stop and think- exactly what type of emergency would you actually return home for? That answer is going to be different for everyone. Then the next question is how likely is that emergency to occur in the few days where you can actually do something about it? That too will be different for everyone.

The passport card has a few advantages, but again people will view those advantages differently. 1) it's accepted for both closed loop and open jaw sailings 2) it's durable and fits easily in a wallet 3) if something happens your information is already resident in the State Department database, presumably making it easier for a Consulate to assist you 4) when the time comes to get a passport you can use it to apply by mail (similar to a renewal) rather than going to an acceptance facility 5) if one doesn't drive it is a better ID than a state issued ID card. It's not for everyone, but it does have it's advantages to those who get it.

What is a passport card ?

Looks like a military "CAC" (Common Access Card) or driver's license. They're not really cheaper than a "real" passport, but they are convenient, scanable, and as they're about the same size as a credit card, easily fit into a wallet. I put mine in my little waterproof case with my Sign&Sail card that I wear around my neck when I go ashore.

WORD of CAUTION: They're ONLY good for SURFACE (train/car/ship) in CERTAIN countries (around the Caribbean, Canada). YOU CANNOT USE THEM TO FLY.

True story: Went to fly to Vancouver to take the Carnival Miracle to Hawaii. Flew from the east coast to Seattle, and during the layover, spouse said, "Hey, are you SURE we can fly to Canada with these passport cards?" I asked the nice folks at Alaska Airlines, who said, "Oh no, you can't. You need the passport BOOK to fly. Run home and get it, you have time." (No, we don't, we flew from Washington, DC). They were super helpful though - they rebooked us, flew us into Bellingham, WA, and I was able to hire a limo to drive us across the border to Vancouver. Otherwise, of course, we'd have missed the cruise.

I'm posting my own stupidity as a cautionary tale. Were you to be on cruise in say, Aruba, and have to fly back to the US on an emergency for whatever reason....you'll need your passport or suffer delays as noted. However, and if you're spending thousands on a cruise, when you're applying for the passport book, get the darn card at the same time. It's only another $55 when you're first applying.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/apply-renew-passport/card.html

Looks like a military "CAC" (Common Access Card) or driver's license. They're not really cheaper than a "real" passport, but they are convenient, scanable, and as they're about the same size as a credit card, easily fit into a wallet. I put mine in my little waterproof case with my Sign&Sail card that I wear around my neck when I go ashore.

WORD of CAUTION: They're ONLY good for SURFACE (train/car/ship) in CERTAIN countries (around the Caribbean, Canada). YOU CANNOT USE THEM TO FLY.

True story: Went to fly to Vancouver to take the Carnival Miracle to Hawaii. Flew from the east coast to Seattle, and during the layover, spouse said, "Hey, are you SURE we can fly to Canada with these passport cards?" I asked the nice folks at Alaska Airlines, who said, "Oh no, you can't. You need the passport BOOK to fly. Run home and get it, you have time." (No, we don't, we flew from Washington, DC). They were super helpful though - they rebooked us, flew us into Bellingham, WA, and I was able to hire a limo to drive us across the border to Vancouver. Otherwise, of course, we'd have missed the cruise.

I'm posting my own stupidity as a cautionary tale. Were you to be on cruise in say, Aruba, and have to fly back to the US on an emergency for whatever reason....you'll need your passport or suffer delays as noted. However, and if you're spending thousands on a cruise, when you're applying for the passport book, get the darn card at the same time. It's only another $55 when you're first applying.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/apply-renew-passport/card.html

I don't why you say they aren't really cheaper. A first time passport is $135 (soon to be $145) and a first time passport card is $55 (soon to be $65). If you are applying for one at the same time you get your passport they are $30.

Thank you all for the information. I have decided that I am going to go ahead and get the passport cards, especially since the prices are going up in April. If I find myself in an emergency, while in the Bahamas, I will have to deal with it the best that I can. I have been on a few cruises with on my birth certificate and DL, and have had no issues, fingers crossed that I don't have any.

""quickly" is debatable. The Embassies aren't open on weekends and holidays. You need to get to the Embassy which is likely not near the port. So, quickly can be 3-4 days.

A passport card is proof of citizenship. US citizens cannot be denied entry into the US. In a true emergency airlines can and do make exceptions. A passport card makes things a little easier as an airline can be confident the passenger will not be turned away and so are likely to grant an exception fairly quickly.

Check cc forums there is at least one first hand account of emergency travel without passports.

I totally agree that the cards are quite a bit cheaper, easier to handle and more durable than books or BC's (like waterproof) and wallet size, same as DL and credit cards, VERY convenient. And having State Dept pre-clearance needless to say can make a lot of difference in emergencies. All very real advantages and a great choice for anyone that only ever visits the Caribbean, Mexico and Canada.

(add) and they are also good for 10 years same as the book.

again, the passport cards are only good sailing in the Caribbean, not flying

Passport cards are not normally valid for international air travel. USVI and PR are not international destinations. As with other domestic flights a passport card would be quite acceptable for travel from those locations.

Couldn't you misplace a passport card just as easily as a birth certificate? You are no better off documentation wise with a passport card than you are with a birth certificate. So if you do not want the expense of full passports, stick with the birth certificates.

A passport card is the size of a DL. It is placed in your wallet like a DL. Everyone that is an adult, normally carries a DL so the passport card is the same concept. The BC is a piece of paper. You can't carry the paper in your wallet like you do the card. Much more inconvenient, and thus can easily be mixed in with all the other papers.

Another advantage is the passport card can get wet. Yes, you can go swimming with it. I keep my wallet, my sports wallet, with my DL and Passport card and a CC with me in my pocket, zippered in and go swimming. Can't do that with a BC.

I have been using the cards for about 10 years.

You can not use a passport card for cruising. If you are using it as an ID with your birth certificate you can but that is it. They are a total waste of money unless you drive to Canada or Mexico often. Buy both is useless too. If you aren't going to get a passport book, stick with state ID and birth certificate.

there is not many reasons to have both unless you travel by boat from USVI to BVI every day, so you don't run out of stamps. Also for land travel to Canada if you frequently visit Canada by land. Passport cards are useless for any foreign air travel

I think it is a good idea for identification for domestic air travel. Or just general use for identification. Better than a DL since there are many states that are not compliant.

So, I think there are reasons to have both. I use it as my ID when in Europe since I don't carry my DL and is much easier to carry then a passport book.

You can not use a passport card for cruising. If you are using it as an ID with your birth certificate you can but that is it. They are a total waste of money unless you drive to Canada or Mexico often. Buy both is useless too. If you aren't going to get a passport book, stick with state ID and birth certificate.

Where do you get that they can't be used for cruising? They absolutely may be used for cruising as a stand alone document, just like their cousin the Enhanced Drivers License (only issued by Vermont, NY, Michigan, Washington state and Minnesota).

When I took my granddaughter on a Panama Canal cruise this past December, we got the pleasure of sitting in a customs office room for 20 minutes because the granddaughter had a passport card. They said it couldn't be used to travel from one US port to a different US port if we visited foreign countries in between. They also said they were going to fine NCL for allowing it to happen.

When I took my granddaughter on a Panama Canal cruise this past December, we got the pleasure of sitting in a customs office room for 20 minutes because the granddaughter had a passport card. They said it couldn't be used to travel from one US port to a different US port if we visited foreign countries in between. They also said they were going to fine NCL for allowing it to happen.

As I understand it Panama Canal transits are different, but here is what CBP's own website says:

What types of documents are accepted for entry into the United States via land and sea?

• U.S. citizens can present a valid: U.S. Passport; Passport Card; Enhanced Driver’s License; Trusted Traveler Program card (NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST); U.S. Military identification card when traveling on official orders; U.S. Merchant Mariner document when traveling in conjunction with official maritime business; or Form I-872 American Indian Card, or (when available) Enhanced Tribal Card.

So I could board a cruise in Vancouver and disembark in Seattle with a passport card.

As I understood it going from a foreign port to a US port wasn't a problem. I was completely blindsided by their objection to the passport card. Just to be safe I've asked the remaining grandchildren to have a full passport. I've taken three of them on a cruise and I have three left. The first two were on round trips to the same port. Since I allow the grandchildren to pick the cruise, I have no idea where I'll be going.

As I understand it Panama Canal transits are different, but here is what CBP's own website says:

What types of documents are accepted for entry into the United States via land and sea?

• U.S. citizens can present a valid: U.S. Passport; Passport Card; Enhanced Driver’s License; Trusted Traveler Program card (NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST); U.S. Military identification card when traveling on official orders; U.S. Merchant Mariner document when traveling in conjunction with official maritime business; or Form I-872 American Indian Card, or (when available) Enhanced Tribal Card.

So I could board a cruise in Vancouver and disembark in Seattle with a passport card.

Also some additional information from the same source.

The U.S. Department of State (DOS) issues passports and passport cards. The passport card can be used at U.S. land and sea ports of entry when arriving from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda.

The card may not be used to travel by air. Also, some Caribbean nations will not accept the passport card for entry into their country, so you may be required to have the more traditional passport book to visit those nations on a cruise. The cruise lines should be able to advise you whether or not a passport card can be used during your voyage.

One thing that everyone needs to remember, that if you accidentally miss the ship when it departs from a port, or have an emergency where you need to fly out of that port, you WILL need a passport.

This is not really true, my son was a Captain in St.Thomas. He took cruise ship guests from STT to Jost Van Dyke in BVI everyday. A passport card is what all the Captains carry. A book would be full of stamps in a month, then you have to get a new passport, not full price. Of course he had a regular passport book as well to travel to other non U.S islands.

When we got our passports I opted to get my 14 year old one since a passport would have only been good for 2 years. Then she would have to get another one. She’s 16 now, so she will get a real passport as soon as we can get an appointment at our post office which is normally a month behind.

And yes, they can be used for cruises. It’s the only form of I’d I’ve used for her for 2 cruises.

Also some additional information from the same source.

The U.S. Department of State (DOS) issues passports and passport cards. The passport card can be used at U.S. land and sea ports of entry when arriving from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda.

The card may not be used to travel by air. Also, some Caribbean nations will not accept the passport card for entry into their country, so you may be required to have the more traditional passport book to visit those nations on a cruise. The cruise lines should be able to advise you whether or not a passport card can be used during your voyage.

One thing that everyone needs to remember, that if you accidentally miss the ship when it departs from a port, or have an emergency where you need to fly out of that port, you WILL need a passport.

Since it's already been established that a passport card cannot be used for international air travel I didn't see the need to quote that part.;)

I am going to be taking my beloved boys ages 11 and 14 on a cruise in 2020. I am wondering if a passport card is good for cruising. I have always used my birth certificate and DL, but I am worried that I will misplace my birth certificate. It has always worried me. I looked into getting passports for all of us, but it seems a bit pricey for me. The passport cards are $40 each for the boys and $55 each for me and my husband. I was curious to see if anyone else has just the card and not a full passport. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

The passport cards are an acceptable form of identification. My family and I have them and have never had an issue. The only thing is that it is only for cruises that are round trip (meaning that it can only be used when the trip starts and ends in the same u.s. port). Unfortunately, it cannot be used for air travel.

Did they provide an explanation of the logic behind this?