Carnival Splendor will be based in Australia from December 2019

rkmw

Carnival Splendor is also known as the SPAM ship. She broke down off the coast of California, lost all power and had to be towed home. The galleys could not operate and rations of tinned spam had to be flown out and dropped onto the ship for the 3,000+ passengers .

there's a video on youtube

Thanks for the video! :D

Splendor looks VERY similar to Spirit from what I could tell in that video of decor and layout. Looking forward to a new Carnival ship as I much prefer that brand to P&O and also it wouldn’t have made sense to change a ship to the P&O feel when it already has the soul and look of a Carnival one.

Ah, so funny. Splendor joining was announced a bit over a year ago, in 2016. And then cancelled - again. Although at that time was to join P&O, whereas now she'll remain in the Carnival fold. The scrapping only happened a few months back, in September.

One can only wonder if she will actually manage to make her way here this time, or if it will be cancelled yet again.

I'm sorry but I can not stand the decour/style of Carnival ships - it seems Splendour is even more tacky that Spirit/Legend. They will definitely need to do a lot of work to "Aussiefy" the ship. Its a shame its not longer going to P&O because they seem to be doing a really good job with their interior design/decour of their new ships.

Ah, so funny. Splendor joining was announced a bit over a year ago, in 2016. And then cancelled - again. Although at that time was to join P&O, whereas now she'll remain in the Carnival fold. The scrapping only happened a few months back, in September.

One can only wonder if she will actually manage to make her way here this time, or if it will be cancelled yet again.

LOL, not sure if we can count on her even if she does arrive eventually.

I think it will be great. Brisbane getting Australia's most popular cruise ship; plus a step-up on those P&O's With The Spirit going up there. Melbourne will get The Legend Seasonal as per now & next year & continuing on.. Sydney will be getting The Splendor. (Carnival are considering our spelling Splendour)..

It will be better for every-one...

It’s definitely a good thing to have another ship down under and that another one will go to Brisbane.

Even for kiwis as we seem to love Queensland.... my family goes there and I love to stay home (what a shame... I need to save up for my big trip next year! [emoji631][emoji895])

However every time I think of this ship I think of a similarly named sugar substitute [emoji14]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Carnival Splendor is also known as the SPAM ship. She broke down off the coast of California, lost all power and had to be towed home. The galleys could not operate and rations of tinned spam had to be flown out and dropped onto the ship for the 3,000+ passengers .

I thought it was THAT ship. Her and the Norwegian star are not the pride of their fleets. Just chuck a coat of paint over the rust and send them down under where hopefully no one has heard about their breakdowns.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Can someone tell me where it has been released where the Carnival Spirit will be homeporting from 2020. The news today was about Carnival Splendor moving to Australia.

This is what has been published in Travel Daily 07 February.

Splendor local homeport

CARNIVAL Cruise Line this morning revealed Carnival Splendor will sail year-round from Sydney beginning Dec 2019.

The deployment will represent a 66% capacity increase for the brand in Australia, with Carnival heralding the vessel as the newest & largest ship homeported year-round in Australia.

Carnival Cruise Line vp and gm Australia Jennifer Vandekreeke told TD Carnival Splendor will primarily sail to the South Pacific offering itineraries eight to 10 days in length, likely along with an annual cruise to New Zealand.

The ship will also pick up Carnival’s regular Australian itineraries to destinations such as Queensland and Tasmania.

Currently a 3,007-passenger ship, Carnival Splendor will undergo an “extensive drydock” prior to her arrival and emerge

with capacity for 3,900 guests.

Splendor will also be fitted with dining experiences tailored to Aussie tastes & a new water park. Carnival Cruise Line currently has two 2,600 passenger vessels offering local itineraries, with Carnival Spirit sailing year-round and Carnival Legend cruising seasonally, but from 2020 Carnival Legend will remain in the United States.

In recognition of the cruise line’s ongoing partnership with The Children’s Hospital at Westmead, it named Matilda Jenkins, a patient of the hospital, as the first goddaughter of a Carnival ship.

Bookings for Carnival Splendor’s 2019 sailings will open in Mar and reservations for 2020 will be available in May/Jun."

I thought it was THAT ship. Her and the Norwegian star are not the pride of their fleets. Just chuck a coat of paint over the rust and send them down under where hopefully no one has heard about their breakdowns.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Bare in mind that was in 2010, I was on the ship 2 weeks before the fire occured and in reality that could happen to any ship at any given time, fire is the worst thing that could happen

Can someone tell me where it has been released where the Carnival Spirit will be homeporting from 2020. The news today was about Carnival Splendor moving to Australia.

Its currently intended for Spirit to remain, as the primary permanent ship here.

Legend returns to the US, to be replaced by Splendor.

Bare in mind that was in 2010, I was on the ship 2 weeks before the fire occured and in reality that could happen to any ship at any given time, fire is the worst thing that could happen

While fires can occur, the wiring that caused Splendor to be stranded is not the same on any ship. They are required to be able to still move.