Brittania price rise

keithhutch

hi everyone,been watching the price for brittania april 29th out of Southampton.yesterday for an inside cabin it was £980 but today it’s gone to £1199(same as a balcony).

Can any one tell me the logic in this please.!! I will watch and wait.

Cheers Keith hutchinson :mad:

hi everyone,been watching the price for brittania april 29th out of Southampton.yesterday for an inside cabin it was £980 but today it’s gone to £1199(same as a balcony).

That category of cabin is selling well. Supply and demand is working.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Unfortunately that is cruise and land based holiday companies have sold their holidays for a number of years it is a practice called "fluid pricing". Best thing is to monitor prices and if the price becomes available that you are happy with then book it, sometimes it backfires and drops further but as proved they can also rise in price.

P&O rarely seem to offer really cheap deals anymore. They manage it through fluid pricing and the deals are generally upgrades. Booking early appears to be the best way of getting a deal now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Luckily, I managed to bag this exact cruise just after Christmas, for £1000 each.. balcony!!!

It was a BIT cheaper at one point but I couldn't book it at that particular time. The price may come down again, but it may not and even go up more. It's like airline flights....popular and the price goes up, not so popular, the price goes down.The law of supply and demand.

Yes it is a big difference but I can beat that! My friend got a quote over the phone and by the time we got to the TA and she called P&O again, the price had gone up £300pp!! Now that hurts!

As it was meant to be a special 70th birthday cruise for her husband (and we’d already booked this cruise when it came out and they wanted to join us), she paid it but will never book P&O again due to their “fluid pricing”.

It works both ways!

We booked a suite on Arcadia for a special occasion some time in the 00's. They actually wrote to us and said the price had been reduced by £1000, but we would still have to pay the full amount, but they would give us a £300 future cruise voucher!

So off we went to Celebrity for a few years, and in 2012 after final payment, some TA's were selling our class of cabin for £1000 less, Celebrity denied selling them of cheap, but had a job explaining a screen shot of the offer (I always take screen shots of bookings etc., they can provide proof).

We took a 4 year sabbatical from cruising, and after a great cruise on Queen Elizabeth in 2016, booked one in November 2016, booking the cheapest suite for November 2017. During 2017, the price fell and fell again, ending up some £2700 less than our booked price, I complained and we were upgraded to one of the best suites, and also retained our booking perks.

Without doubt the best cruise of the 41 we have ever had!

she paid it but will never book P&O again due to their “fluid pricing”.

Then she shouldn't book a cruise with any line; all the mass-market and "premium-mass" ones do exactly the same.

Our Cunard cruise this year has gone up by around 30%, and our 2019 P&O cruise has increased by around 20% since we booked.

Some interesting stories thanks every one.

We have actually booked a balcony cabin for £1299 today, I don’t think it’s actually a bad price if you take off £240 for the coach which I didn’t get last time and £170 on board credit.

I’m 65 on the 21 April so really didn’t want to miss out,maybe they will upgrade me to a suite.ha ha

my 1st p&o cruise was azura in 2012 and I booked early payed high price then when we got on the ship there were people booking last minute not 2 or 3 it was in the 40's and 50's who had paid £400 less than me it was only after this they brought out select which you now don't hear of silly pricing to fill the ship I think the insides sold out which pushed the price up and then they upgraded inside to outside and outside to balcony I think they have done it on my next cruise in 3 weeks time as balcony doesn't seem to be going up.

All companies are not interested in providing a good price, they just want to screw every penny out of their customers. Hiding behind "supply and demand" is a poor excuse. For holiday situations, they dangle the carrot, pull it away and hope you'll have set your heart on the break enough to stump up the extra.

When I wanted to visit family in America, I could fly from London to either Cleveland or Pittsburg. The flight to Cleveland was direct but the one to Pitsburg had one change. Both options were on the same airline.

The direct flight to Cleveland was £300 more than the flight to Pitsburg. The big joke is that for the flight to Pitsburg you have to change in Cleveland.

That's correct, they charge £300 more for you to use less of their resources. All under the excuse of "supply and demand"

All companies are not interested in providing a good price, they just want to screw every penny out of their customers. Hiding behind "supply and demand" is a poor excuse. For holiday situations, they dangle the carrot, pull it away and hope you'll have set your heart on the break enough to stump up the extra.

When I wanted to visit family in America, I could fly from London to either Cleveland or Pittsburg. The flight to Cleveland was direct but the one to Pitsburg had one change. Both options were on the same airline.

The direct flight to Cleveland was £300 more than the flight to Pitsburg. The big joke is that for the flight to Pitsburg you have to change in Cleveland.

That's correct, they charge £300 more for you to use less of their resources. All under the excuse of "supply and demand"

Interestingly there is a train which runs from the South Coast to Scotland. In the past I’ve booked a seat on the entire journey at a much cheaper price that the short leg I actually wanted to travel. Most people probably never check.

As the OP has got a balcony plus OBC and coach I’d class that as a good last minute deal! Enjoy [emoji3]

If you really want to look at illogical pricing, you have to look at the cost of single cabins on P&O. When you look on-line, the cost of booking a twin/double cabin is often cheaper than the single. I can see why it happens as with fluid pricing when a cabin grade is getting fully booked, the price will go up. It really does make sense however for a solo traveller to be able to book a 2-person cabin cheaper than a single. It is an anomaly that P&O do not seem to rectify.

That is how supply and demand works.

Why would they charge you less than the market dictates?

If you fly BA to any long haul destination from London you’ll find it much more expensive than if you fly BA starting in Dublin or Frankfurt, changing in London.

Works both ways. That’s why Lufthansa will probably be cheaper from London as you have to change in Frankfurt.

You may have been able to save by flying to Cleveland with a change somewhere.

Supply and demand works in many way's. I have just renewed my car breakdown cover, they wanted £36 more this year. I pointed out that I could walk away and they chose to freeze it for a year, so I am still paying less than what a new member would.

I'm sure that the P&O shareholders given the chance would like a higher return and better perks given the chance, hence the company earning the best price possible.

If at your work your boss asked for one of you to come in and discuss a pay rise and your chosen Rep came out saying " The boss said he was not sure as to give us £10 or £5 , he says ask you what you think ?"

I think we all know what you would ask for. (Get what you can ? )

Mrs Kalos has a milestone birthday coming up , so we booked early and got a nice balcony that we wanted. As some have said there was always a risk the price could plummet but it went the other way and went well over what we paid.

Just had a look and the only balcony left is a deluxe, all the others showing sold out.

Had we left it until now we would have been looking at a bill of over double what we have paid.

Chances are someone will buy it at that price.

Walk around a supermarket , it's the same , you buy what you need and what you think is a bargain .

You see a tin of beans that you buy each week, this week it's buy one get one free.

Do you just take the one tin as usual ?

What I'm trying to say is we want the best deal possible just like the company does as others have said pay what your happy with , if not walk away but if the price drops and you have paid , then cling to the fact you must have been happy when you bought the cruise, wasn't you ?

Could be that all the insides have sold. So yes you can book one (an inside) but PandO will have to upgrade someone who has already booked an inside to a balcony grade to accommodate your booking. By doing so PandO would then loose the ability to sell that balcony grade. So I think it's just sound economics rather than profitering.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Forums mobile app

The cruise lines like to be able to offer the full range of cabins. When the really cheap insides sell out they inflate the price to a realistic balcony price. People then purchase balcony cabins and think they have done really well as an inside would have been the same price.

I equate this to going to a tool-hire shop to rent a long ladder. These are dearer than the short ladders which are advertised at a much cheaper price than the long ones. So I ask to rent a short ladder (at the cheap price). They never stock them, why would they? The guy says I can have a long ladder for the price of a short one. I begrudgingly accept the offer, if he says ohh here's a short one I have just found at the back. I say, no I think it's too short and then have to pay for a long one.

Lol John