Tipping in DL

English is my first language and it's over my head...I don't get it.🤔🙁

I didn't either but hey ho.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

It's not you.

The title originally had a spelling error in it. It has been corrected because someone (! ;) ) reported it.

Originally, it said "Topping in DL".

Thus the joke was about toppings on a pizza.

:)

It's not you.

The title originally had a spelling error in it. It has been corrected because someone (! ;) ) reported it.

Originally, it said "Topping in DL".

Thus the joke was about toppings on a pizza.

:)

Thanks, topping has another meaning in the UK so i presume it was tipping in the DL.

We usually tip $1-2 each evening and have 1(DH) and 2-3 (me) drinks. At the end of the week, we tip an additional $10-20 depending on length of cruise.

Thanks for the explanation of the "topping" post. I thought maybe I'd missed a good thread or something. You know, like the starfish one :D:D:Dclear.png?emoji-grin-1677

I don't tip the servers in DL or the concierge as a general rule. I also don't tip bar staff or servers elsewhere.

Looks like I am not conforming given the posts on this thread but I am sure I am not the only one. As always, best to do what you think is right.

I don't tip the servers in DL or the concierge as a general rule. I also don't tip bar staff or servers elsewhere.

Looks like I am not conforming given the posts on this thread but I am sure I am not the only one. As always, best to do what you think is right.

All the times we have been in the DL in Europe i have seen people tipping waiters and concierge on last night which we do but i tip per drink also and have never seen anybody tipping per drink.

We tip per drink. You never know if you will see the same waiter again.

Before my first Diamond cruise someone said they tipped big the first night to insure they got good service all week. I tried that and never saw her again all week.

Before my first Diamond cruise someone said they tipped big the first night to insure they got good service all week. I tried that and never saw her again all week.

Yep, they do get re-assigned from time to time.

We also tip $1 a drink and at the end of the week we give extra to the waiter who served us most. That's when we tip the Concierge the last night and the amount depends on what he/she has done for us and if he/she has take the time to talk with us other than saying hello.

Our last two cruises on Allure, the Concierge sat at the desk the whole time and didn't interact with the passengers. They were not the same Concierge, so maybe this is the policy. She only spoke to those who actually went up to her desk and asked questions or whatever.

We always tip $1 per drink but the last time we went with friends that drink a lot and they never tipped. Apparently the DL drinks don't have the 18% tip added.

So why not tip when you get unlimited drinks? If you can afford to cruise is $1 per a drink too much to give as a tip?

Ontario Cruiser

That is the way i think too and why i give $1 per drink in the DL and also in outside bars if i am using the C&A loyalty drink vouchers.

People tip the DL waiters because the drinks are free, therefore no gratuity has been added. Bar staff and waiters elsewhere get a gratuity as 18% is added to drink prices/or packages and therefore are not expecting an additional tip.

DL waiters probably don't expect tips from everyone, but when you are drinking for free it's a nice gesture.

I tried giving $5 to the waiter once on the first night and a similar thing happened thats why i give $1 a drink now.