Packing Tips for family with 3, 4, and 6 year old boys?

spangnash

2 weeks from today, we'll be heading out on our first cruise with our young boys along (ages 3, 4, and 6), on the Allure of the Seas. We have traveled with them before, and have cruised on our OWN before, but have never cruised with them... and now I'm wondering... is there anything I would never think to pack that might be handy? Please share any items that you were so very thankful to have along! (Ports are Falmouth, Jamaica, Labadee, and Cozumel, if that matters.) Thanks in advance! (Also posting in the family board.)

Packing a 3, 4 and 6 year old? The 3 year old will fit in a carry on. Depending on how big the 4 year old is, he may fit in a checked bag. I'm afraid you're going to have to buy a ticket for the 6 year old.

Seriously, the two things that come to mine right away are rash shirts and water shoes. I imagine there will be a lot of pool and beach time and a couple rash shirts for each may be a good idea. Also a nice pair of shorts and a nice shirt for the MDR. They certainly don't need to dress up and they could certainly look awesome wearing "dressy" shorts to dinner.

Enjoy your time.

I always go to the local party store and pick up glow stix for my grandkids. They love to wear them at night to their nighttime activities. We also take something to identify the room from the hall. all the rooms look the same and it makes it very easy for them to find when there is something particular to see. We have done a balloon, door sign, bow and a few other items.

A small trial size bottle of laundry detergent so that you can wash their swim stuff after a few days, in the bathroom sink.

I find the shower glop makes a dandy detergent. My suggestion is to pack complete outfits in two gallon plastic bags. After an outfit has been worn just replace the clean outfit with the dirty one. Keeps everything neat and organized.

A small trial size bottle of laundry detergent so that you can wash their swim stuff after a few days, in the bathroom sink.

Alternatively, Tide, Woolite and probably others make single use packets of laundry soap, specifically designed for use in the sink. The Tide (and Woolite) packets are about the size of a wet wipe packet like you get at a BBQ joint; they're so small you could fit them in your wallet. One or two of those will be much less bulky than an small bottle. Don't confuse the Tide sink packet with the Tide single use packets for a washing machine; those are much larger (about halfway between the size of of a snack-size ziploc baggie and a sandwich baggie.)

We have cruised with our children since the baby was a year old... he’s now 7. What we find helpful is bringing an iPad, tablet or DVD player with headphones to dinner to keep them entertained. It takes some time for their food to come from the galley and it will help with boredom. Even a coloring book will help!

If you are flying, pack a small backpack for each with dollar store items they would like to play with on the plane.

We pack each days clothes with socks and underwear into a quart size bag. They can just choose a bag to wear for the day. Bring lots of bathing suits and TONS of sunscreen....it’s expensive on the ship!

My tip would be: skip formal nights. Or, pack simple khakis and a polo they can wear with their sneakers for formal nights. I've seen families do the whole suit-and-shirt-and-big boy shoes-and-tie thing for their kiddos, and it makes for ADORABLE photos, but geez, it's a lot to pack for one formal night. Times three kids!

I think kids love to dress up and do the formal night, but when I took my grandkids limited it to whatever pants they own, a dress shirt and a tie - got ties cheap at $ store. other nights they wore a clean top and shorts .Water wings if they are not able to swim in a big pool.

Beach days - if they want to dig for buried treasure they will need cheap shovels and they are Not cheap at any of the beaches - we took old ones from their toys and sometimes left them behind if that is ok with the kids. beaches are windy - take cheap kites - water shoes make it easier for little feet. sticks of colours sun screen - allow they to paint each other - then swim - it wears off eventually but they have fun. try not to buy stuff onboard - expensive.

Do take them to the dinning room, teaches them what it is like, they have kids menu, but if the love an item on the adult menu - especially older son - get it for him.

take something they can do to the table - electronics if that is your thing, but if they are not into them yet - books, colouring book, small cars they can run on the table - make a rule - toys go away during the meal. It is a long wait for adults for the food - kids think it is forever. If the youngest are napping - something older son can do in room and be quiet.

If you have enough space assign each their own drawer and let them keep souvenirs from the trip - then take them home an make up a scrap book - or a family scrap book and allow them each a page.

I bought grandkids each a small roll suitcase - they had to look after themselves - and they did.

My gk never wore sox except to formal night - only sandals.

You can rinse as you go - take time to use laundry - take enough for the week - send stuff out to be laundered - up to you how much you want to "work" on the ship.

Laugh a lot - try not to scold - let their imagination take over!